Does anyone else like math?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Reaction score
Not to develop myself a superiority complex here, but honestly, I find math to be very interesting. I even want to find some resources to learn more than what my algebra class is teaching me.

But that's beside the point, so you can skip that.

Anyone out there who shares an interest in mathematics?

I'd at least like the assurance that there are more people, and that I won't just grow up to be one of those people who blurt numbers for unknown reasons.

From my own experience... the people who like maths for the sake of maths tend to be academics. They get excited about completing a proof of something.

Also- sidenote... maths isn't really about numbers. It's about logic... and ancient Greek...

Sure I find it interesting. It's amazing how you can describe & predict anything in math, it solves so many problems and helps people to understand.

But at the same time it's the WORST subject for me, I've never been good with numbers (yes, ironic considering my username and pretty much a common misconception) and honestly think I have the math level of a 10 year old.

Nightwing said:
From my own experience... the people who like maths for the sake of maths tend to be academics. They get excited about completing a proof of something.

Also- sidenote... maths isn't really about numbers. It's about logic... and ancient Greek...

Indeed. Without the logic, it would hardly have a point, wouldn't it.

I like what we discover about the universe from using it. But as far as I go, I am terrible at it, lol.

I suck at math, badly. As for algebra, it is my humble opinion that letters and numbers have no business whatsoever hanging around together, it makes for a confusing mess.

33yglxf.png

34ipr0w.gif

I find it somewhat interesting how you can solve different types of problems with different types of formulas and numbers. But that's where it all ends lol, i find math to be a pain in the ass. I'm pretty good at it if i put my mind into it but i hate doing it.

Sasha said:
Not to develop myself a superiority complex here, but honestly, I find math to be very interesting. I even want to find some resources to learn more than what my algebra class is teaching me.

But that's beside the point, so you can skip that.

Anyone out there who shares an interest in mathematics?

I'd at least like the assurance that there are more people, and that I won't just grow up to be one of those people who blurt numbers for unknown reasons.

I used to be topset for maths until events did a U-turn and destroyed my life.

Skills are trashed these days. I will say this, and I heard this from students studying mathematics degrees - don't go for mathematics degrees if you intend to go into the workplace (especially as an accountant or similar) - apparently it's one of the shunned degrees out there. For accountancy there are specific degrees for that and those are the ones employers seek.

However if you intend to go into academia (EG teach mathematics) then it seems to part of several degrees (teaching degree etc etc) required.

For me, the fun part was finding mathematical sums that would solve school textbook problems in bulk. For example, there was this book full of 'how many lines between poles' type questions. I actually figured a sum for working that out (I can't remember the formula, something like times by 0.5 and -1 were in there). All I had to do was punch in the number of poles and the sum would give me how many lines were there. Teachers always hated my simplification for their problems.

Then we had to calculate a bulk of angles. So I later set up an excel spreadsheet that, you guessed it, did it in bulk. Teacher got extremely narked (because apparently completely crushing the problems into a simple spreadsheet is a sign of stupidity) and didn't give me a high mark for it.

Meh.

Latest posts

Back