Drug Adverse Effects

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonT

Reaction score
Anyone else had drug related bad side effect?

I got excruciating headaches from heroin which lead to me having to give it up. Some would say it did me a favour but now I have no life :-( Sounds mad I know with it being the ultimate pain killer, pretty much morphine. Never did figure it out, and no-one I knew had ever heard of it or had it, and a dr said it wasn't unusual.
Took me 2 yrs give it up as well. But it will be 4yrs clean this year in October.
It has rendered me with (what I call) pharmacophobia. I can't drink or do drugs. Barely take a paracetamol for a headache, but now have no social life. I don't go out cause I don't like drinking pop all night, nor water, and people think you're weird if you don't drink haha! and boring haha! so I've become a bit anti-social.

Well done for giving up 2 of the most difficult things that people ever have to give up. Big respect for that.

I have had some adverse side-effects from drugs, certain anti-depressants have made me feel quite suicidal and increased OCD traits.

yes, kudos to you - it sounds like you need to find yourself a different sort of society… lots of fun people don't base their fun around drinking

I used to be something of an addict, but it always ended up causing strange health issues--I put it down to being wildly oversensitive to all substances. I was forced to quit and I haven't gone back.

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it. The reliance of knowing that I will probably feel pretty good at a certain time, being able to block out all the negative s**t going on in my head about interacting with other people--just feel comfortable in my own skin for a while, feel like *I* matter and not just those idiots out there projecting confidence like talented actors.

So I get sober both because I needed to and I wanted to.. (you can't keep it going, at least not if you're a lightweight.) And now I'm forced to just be in the real world and try to improve my ways with people. I thought trying to branch out online might help a bit, but it seems like there's a lot of jerks here too. Nice at first, but then they drop you like a stone despite your best efforts. That's still a jerk, in my book. People taking me off their Skype list for unknown reasons, or not bothering to return my message even though I hadn't said anything wrong, hadn't been insistent, and was genuinely interested in talking. (In those few cases where I did say something insulting, well then I don't blame you, though. I haven't been perfect.)

Right now I wish I could just stop with people altogether, retreat again, but how? I'm finally wise enough to know I can't just keep escaping and letting my social skills worsen.. but I'm afraid if I can't even form a few rapports or keep just a couple friends on the internet, I don't see how real life would be any better.

For the OP: sorry to take this a bit off-topic, but I had to get it off my chest.

SimonT said:
Anyone else had drug related bad side effect?

I got excruciating headaches from heroin which lead to me having to give it up. Some would say it did me a favour but now I have no life :-( Sounds mad I know with it being the ultimate pain killer, pretty much morphine. Never did figure it out, and no-one I knew had ever heard of it or had it, and a dr said it wasn't unusual.
Took me 2 yrs give it up as well. But it will be 4yrs clean this year in October.
It has rendered me with (what I call) pharmacophobia. I can't drink or do drugs. Barely take a paracetamol for a headache, but now have no social life. I don't go out cause I don't like drinking pop all night, nor water, and people think you're weird if you don't drink haha! and boring haha! so I've become a bit anti-social.

Great job for remaining clean for so long. You shouldn't let others dictate how you feel about your situation because you can still have fun without drinking alcohol. Too many people these days let it control their lives. You're doing great so keep it up.

Great job too Batman55. I'll add you as a friend.

Always makes me laugh when people say how well I did getting off the heroin. I HAD to stop. I was getting excruciating headaches, it wasn't really a choice lol!

I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it about heroin but i did know a person who had that and other reactions to codeine.

I popped a few Zanex and did some shots. Dont remember the rest but I woke up the next day with the whole side of my face numb and a clogged ear, the ear thing still acts up from time to time and that was months ago

SimonT said:
Always makes me laugh when people say how well I did getting off the heroin. I HAD to stop. I was getting excruciating headaches, it wasn't really a choice lol!

You still deserve credit. You could have done the typical thing most addicts would do, and just switch to another buzz-worthy substance.

SimonT said:

Just because you HAD to get off of it, it doesn't mean that is was easy so you deserve credit/praise for that.

Minus said:
I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it about heroin but i did know a person who had that and other reactions to codeine.

Well codeine is a derivative of heroin, still an opiate. What kind of headaches, or how severe, what were they like, d'ya know? Never heard of anyone else getting them before?

Yes it is still an opiate. All i remember is that it was severe enough that they will no longer touch anything with codeine in it. If a doctor tried to prescribe it, they tell him/her that they won't take it. It would seem to be worse that whatever it is being prescribed for.

Latest posts

Back