Eye contact

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a really hard time with it. Whenever I make a conscious effort to, I can only maintain eye contact for a split second before looking away. During a lot of conversations, I'm only thinking about the eye contact causing me to not fully hear what the other person is saying.

freeder said:
I have a really hard time with it. Whenever I make a conscious effort to, I can only maintain eye contact for a split second before looking away. During a lot of conversations, I'm only thinking about the eye contact causing me to not fully hear what the other person is saying.

I am pretty much the same way.

I can, however, look in the eye of someone I do not respect or do not fear.
For example, if a beautiful girl approaches me and I am certain they have no interest in me (either have a companion or show their disgust) I would have no problem looking them in the eye.

Yes eye contact is tough for me. And when I try too hard to maintain it, it seems unnatural and awkward. When I really need to say something to an individual I will alternate between eye contact and pretending to be thinking about what I'm saying and looking away for a sec. Either that or walk far away and call them on the cell phone. I wonder if wearing shades would make a difference. So no one could read me.

With some people it feels weird to look at them in the eyes, with others I have no problem.

With women though, well I just try not to look in their direction at all because of nervousness.

Haven said:
Beat them in hand to hand combat after that they will have problems looking you in the eyes.
LMFAO. But what if you lose? I guess then you will have an excuse for no eye contact. win-win situation

Either I don't look them in the eyes or I constantly look them in the eyes and it makes them nervous, lol:p

I don't think there's anything you can do about it, just try not to think about it. If you feel at ease it would go naturally instead of forcing yourself to look into someone's eyes.

Depends on whos doing the looking....sometimes eye contact makes me quite agressive and other times I just avoid looking at people all together...not because of fear, I just dont like people and well, I just dont like people!

When I am down (quite often) I look into eyes of just the people I trust (quite a few).

Cold said:
Either I don't look them in the eyes or I constantly look them in the eyes and it makes them nervous, lol
Me too. I really don't like making eye contact with people it makes me nervous.

I have started to force myself to make eye-contact but, because I have creepy starey eyes and eyebrows Ming the Merciless would be proud of, I think it makes people uncomfortable.:D

Shadow said:
Does anyone else have trouble making eye contact sometimes?

I try to avoid making eye contact with the woman I work for in case the hatred I feel for her causes her **** head to explode (like in Scanners) and I end up with her muck all over my clothes. Seriously though, when I'm walking down the street I hardly ever make eye contact, but when I do, it's kind of nice becuase I feel like I've made a connection with someone.

I avoid eye contact at all times.. even in class when professors look at me I look away and I always look around at whats behind people when I'm talking. Sometimes they end up thinking Im not interested.

Once I was asking a professer something and since hes really tall and Im pretty short. He bent down and his face was right in my face and was lookign my straight into my eyes.. I couldnt really look away and I forgot what I was gonna say for a sec. Such an awkward moment.

While I am talking I think about making eye contact. I am conscious about it every time I talk to someone. But when it comes to talking to a potential women, I think I would make an extra effort to make contact. Thought that hasn't happened for a number of years.

I am scared that if I ever date a women, i'll get asked the question, what colour are her eyes, and I won't be able to answer. I guess some women would be put off by that. But I wouldn't worry to much about it. But it would be nice if I could answer. Attention to detail :)

samuel said:
I am scared that if I ever date a women, i'll get asked the question, what colour are her eyes, and I won't be able to answer. I guess some women would be put off by that. But I wouldn't worry to much about it. But it would be nice if I could answer. Attention to detail :)

Aww I think I'd be too preoccupied trying to see what colour your eyes are to care :p

When I'm talking to someone, I'll make an effort to make eye contact now and then, but I can't do it for more than split seconds at a time, so I'll pretend to be looking around as I contemplate what they are/I am saying lol. Or I'll look at a place on their face etc.

I remember when I had a huge crush on this guy, I would get so startled if we happened to make contact and I'd quickly look away and I wouldn't be able to look up again. I bet I went red too. Ugh! As you may have guessed, I couldn't talk to him for the life of me.

I used to have a real problem making eye-contact and people would always think I was rude. Recently (as in this year) something just clicked and I can now hold eye contact without feeling uncomfortable. Don't know why but I guess it's a step up for me. I just don't think about it anymore.

I always found it weird that when walking down the street or somewhere in public that people passing by would make eye contact with me. To me it made no sense, why the crap would you wanna make eye contact with people you don't know. Thinking this way actually made me feel insecure like maybe something was wrong with the way I look or something. Each time I catch people making eye contact I look away, then I read something that pick up artists do, they make eye contact and then wait for the other person to look away to demonstrate your confidence, and our of curiosity I thought I'd give that a try, and man it's hilarious how well this work. Sometimes I would be the first to make eye contact with strangers and watch them look away etc.

I still wonder though is there something innate inside humans that make us make eye contact (in North American society) with strangers in public?

Latest posts

Back