Eye contact

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi there...

Eye contact and facial expressions provide important social and emotional information; people, perhaps without consciously doing so, probe each other's eyes and faces for positive or negative mood signs. In some contexts, the meeting of eyes arouses strong emotions.

I have trouble with this too, with everyone, even my husband and my children. It's like I don't want them looking at me. Like I don't want them looking too closely at me because I feel ugly.

this is one of the million issues i have, i recently overcome.
i had to do that because it help me show confidence to people i am talking to and hide any fear or intimidation i might feel coming from that person. also it helped me keep and get good jobs, because in this market if you look down when you talk to people, they will not believe you can take responsibility or be in charge in your position and they will walk all over you.

i realized something, if i don't show sign of strength and confidence when i approach people the first time, i will only become weaker and then it will be twice as hard to get myself back up. so eye contact help me show some signs of dare when i talk to some people.

I don't have particular problems with it, I used to, I just find it awkward to stare at people, I like to act like I'm doing something or looking elsewhere.

After a while someone I know pointed it out, so ever since I just stare into everyone's eyes, people seem to find it awkward and someone else pointed it out saying I look flirty with the eye contact, go figure.

So now I'm doing a mix of both and I'm extremely self conscious about when to take my eyes off and when to make eye contact, it's like freaking acting, I can't just do whatever I want.

I have trouble making eye contact with guys because i feel like even if i try to make any eye contact they will look away cause i don't think any guys are into me at all. I've been trying to get better tho.

That's pretty funny question. Actually for me i gained this habbit somewhere of deliberately avoiding eyecontact. For instance if i'm at a check out counter buyin something and i get to the cashier i will look off in the distance behind them and just talk with them and handle the entire transaction without looking at them and focusing somewhere else far off. not even so much that i'm avoiding eye contact, but deliberately finding something else too look at.

not sure why i do it. I think i just do it to screw with people harmlessly a bit. Like i'll carry this conversation with them while looking a little to the left and 20 feet behind them, then right when the conversation is about to end i'll look at them breifely lol. i think i'm just weird and like to keep people guessing. i wonder if anyone has ever thought i was blind becuase of that lol.

I personally always look into people's eyes, I try to tear into them seeing what makes them tick. it's funny because it's the opposite of what most people do. Eyes are a window to something, you can feel it. Just don't know what. I use them as a tool to judge people ha.

Shadow said:
Does anyone else have trouble making eye contact sometimes?

I definitely have a hard time making eye contact..most of the time..sometimes it's because I simply don't care to or because I simply can't..i'm paralyzed with hesitation.

I actually kinda think it's cute when a girl is too shy to meet my eyes. It's very endearing when a girl blushes and just gives little glances out of the corners of her eyes. :D

During other moments...like during sex or something, yeah the direct eye contact can be a little more important. I think it's just situational, really. Sometimes it's OK to avoid eye contact and sometimes you just gotta stare into those eyes until you feel 'em burning!

----Steve

Looking into someone's eyes feels too overwhelming, it's like staring into a maelstrom of possibilities, half thoughts and fear

I always try to look into a person's eyes, it's really like a window to one's soul, not to sound too corny. You can read things in there. Besides, I can pretty much outstare anyone if it comes down to that.

Well, I'm legally blind so my eyes sort of shift offset from each other. Is it physically possible for me to even make eye contact? I actively avoid it at the moment seeing as how I want to stray attention away from the eye region.

Latest posts

Back