F.E.A.R.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xaero

Reaction score
Something I made in college. I consider it one of my few artistic accomplishments. The collage is based on the F.E.A.R. games. Below the link to the pic is a description. I recommend reading it if you're not familiar with the F.E.A.R. universe.

Warning: Contains partial nudity.

Property of Armacham http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/143/b/9/property_of_armacham_by_syncerr0r-d66bron.jpg

Description

I’m a big fan of F.E.A.R., so for this assignment I created a collage of sorts that incorporates the key elements from all three games, primarily the main characters. The images used in this piece were created by the developers of the series, Monolith and Day 1 Studios.

Before I describe the piece, I will provide a brief overview of F.E.A.R. I’ll begin by discussing the character at the center of the F.E.A.R. universe: Alma. Alma Wade was a highly psychic individual. When she was young she was inducted into Project Paragon by her father, Harlan Wade, where she was tested for every known psychic ability. She passed all the tests and was then inducted into Project Origin a few years later. Upon induction into the program, she was put into an induced coma and was locked in a spherical structure called the Vault, located deep within the secret Origin facility, which was designed to block her powerful psychic abilities. There, she was impregnated twice with clone embryos. She gave birth to Point Man, the first prototype, at age 15, and then Paxton Fettel, the second prototype, at age 16. Alma caused a ‘synchronicity event’, in which she merged minds with Fettel when he was 10, prompting Armacham to completely terminate Project Origin and kill Alma. She was 26 at the time of her death. Since Alma’s psychic abilities were so strong, her telesthetic signature never died. Throughout the games, she manifests herself in both the child form and the adult form. According to Monolith game designer Craig Hubbard, “young Alma” is:

“An incarnation of Alma’s last conscious memory before she was sealed away. It’s not who she actually was at eight years old, but rather how she remembers herself. Alma appears in this form prior to being released from the Vault at the end of F.E.A.R. and comes to realize what she truly is. As for motivations, Alma is driven by primal emotional need than by a conscious, willful agenda. In F.E.A.R., she was in some sense a scared, tormented child trapped in a dark, terrible place, reaching out for someone to save her. The fear turned to anger, with pretty severe consequences as a result of her incredible power.”

Adult “hot” Alma is speculated to be a form used to lure Delta Force Operative Sergeant Michael Becket into conceiving a child with her since she usually appears as an incredibly frail and skeletal human female, which was her physical form after she was taken off life support and left to die.

I’ll now begin describing the piece. I’ll start with the red background and adult Alma (which are part of the same image). In my mind, this image provided the perfect background and focal point. It had a background that was fitting for Alma’s darkness and also included Alma herself. The dark shades of red and orange symbolize Alma’s chaos, which is reflected upon the rest of the world in what is known as the Almaverse, due to her powerful psychic powers. In the palm of Alma’s hand is Becket. This interaction between the two characters symbolizes the events that occurred at the end of F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. At the very end Becket is strapped into the telesthetic amplifier in an attempt to kill Alma. While he’s strapped in, Alma appears and sends him into a hallucination that is interspersed with images of Alma raping him. In the hallucination Becket fights off Sergeant Keegan while trying to activate the amplifier. Once Becket flips the last switch, the hallucination ends with Becket still securely strapped in, at Alma’s mercy. Instead of killing him, Alma walks up to Becket and gently takes his hand and places it on her swollen belly to show him that she’s pregnant. Within Alma’s glowing womb, the child is heard saying “Mommy” before the game ends. While Becket was hallucinating, Alma used the psychic link the telesthetic amplifier forged with him to conceive a child with him.

Becket in the palm of Alma’s hand symbolizes her dominance and power over Becket. The supernatural red energy surrounding him signifies Alma’s unrelenting obsession with Becket throughout the game. Alma’s soft blue color is synonymous with what she is: a ghost and a woman. The lack of transparency signifies her ability to manifest herself in clear detail. The hue of her color emphasizes her femininity.
In the center of the piece is young Alma surrounded by the destroyed city streets after the Origin facility was destroyed. Her presence in that form symbolizes her innocence; that she too was one of the victims of Armacham’s research. The city streets appear to be consumed by adult Alma’s background; a part of Alma’s world or the Almaverse.

The two men near the bottom left side are Alma’s sons, Point Man (long hair, holding gun) and Paxton Fettel (reaching out towards the viewer). Their proximity to each other symbolizes their brotherhood. They are very significant characters in the F.E.A.R. universe. Point Man is the main character and protagonist of the first F.E.A.R. as well as the third. Paxton Fettel is the main antagonist of the first F.E.A.R. In the third game the two brothers work together to defeat the remaining Armacham soldiers and The Creep. The Creep is a twisted monster made by the collected memories of the two brothers of their father, Harlan Wade.
The three diamond shapes connected by two lines is the Armacham Technology Corporation logo. Its presence symbolizes the entity responsible for all the destruction and evil that occurred in the F.E.A.R. universe. I gave it a grungy, worn, blood stained look to symbolize the bloodshed and suffering caused by Alma and the Replica soldiers—both of which, products of ATC. I also gave it an abandoned look, similar to how an abandoned building’s sign would look after decades of disrepair. This represents how ATC had been abandoned after Alma took control of Paxton Fettel, and subsequently the Replica soldiers, causing ATC to descend into chaos and ultimately non-existence.

In conclusion, I feel that all the images I used effectively describe the F.E.A.R. universe in its entirety. Also, the name of the piece is important. Property of Armacham is a fitting name since all the characters were in some way owned by Armacham. Alma, her sons, and Becket were nothing more than a ‘product’ manufactured by Armacham.

Latest posts

Back