Facebook!your views

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one, and don't plan on making one until I go to High School and make real friends.

They are only for people who have friends and a shitload of time.

I have it, it's fine in my opinion. For me is useful to find events and mostly to my career, since I can be in contact with collegues (I kind of have to have it for this reason, even tough I made it for my friends...). I have some interaction with friends from time to time... Also I have a group with some friends and collegues in which we post news.

I spent some time on Facebook a while ago but found it extremely boring. Everyone seems to only talk to their real life friends... which seems odd to me. Why not just talk to them in real life? lol

Also, I now detest Facebook for personal reasons that have nothing to do with the above.

I use facebook to keep in touch with family and friends that don't live around me anymore (or ever). Yeah, I do talk to people that live around me as well, but sometimes (especially with me since I hate talking on the phone) it's just easier to set honeysuckle up that way than any other way. It's not a popularity contest to me, everyone I have on my facebook, I either know in real life or have gotten to know online. Every so often I'll get rid of people I know longer talk to or have lost touch with, but as far as the "OH I'M SO HAPPY" honeysuckle, I don't care, sometimes it's true, but sometimes, people just want to hide their real honeysuckle, they don't want people to know how bad they have it for any number of reasons. To each their own.

There are things that I like about Facebook. I have a few close friends that live away from me and I like communicating with them on it. But I dread looking my news feeds most days because a lot of my FB friends who are people that I went to high school with or relatives are posting pics of them being out with friends and at events. It kills me to see them having stuff like that, while I'm the type of person who has a hard time making friends and rarely gets invited places.

I created an account out of curiosity at first, mainly friending old classmates to see how their lives had turned out, and then a few colleagues. Facebook is a convenient tool for people to stay current with friends they regularly see or speak to. Nothing more. You get a voyeuristic look into other's social lives via the newsfeed, which onviously bites if you don't have one...
I get to see a 'friend's' updates who's only interest in contacting me in the last year was so I could pay for her parking, along with people's wedding photos, overseas trips and nights out.

Worst aspects: a small number of friends making you look like a loser, no-one ever commenting on your updates (duh, what can I expect), no birthday wishes (again, duh) , friend requests from people you barely spoke to or had contempt for you (padding out their friend lists no doubt) while some of your own requests get unexpectantly ignored.

I like facebook.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have only have 26 friends on there and other people have 500.

It's just a good, convienant way of keeping in touch with people. Better than asking for email addresses etc.

The majority of my posts are supposed to be amusing and people 'like' them and make comments.

Again it doesn't bother me that other people's posts get 50 comments.

Facebook is ok. I've had some arguments on it, been de-friended a few times. De-friended a few myself. I do put some wild or controversial stuff on my FB wall at times. I have people on my friend's list that never comment on anything, not hit the 'like button. I don't know why they're on there.
If one just puts generic posts on their wall, they're probably safer.

It scares me. I signed up and was immediately presented with a list of people I went to high school with! How the hell does it know?

I do use it, but rarely. I'm always too self-conscious to post any statuses or do anything else. Few on my tiny friends list likely even give me a moment's thought, so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

Someone else started a similar thread a few months ago and I shared my thoughts, which are that for me Fakebook is just a reminder that I have no real friends...like last august I was sad on the one year anniversary of the death of my cat, I posted this and didn't get a single compassionate comment from my "friends." I debate getting rid of it but I do like some of the news and activist style sites (Sick of the Slant is my favorite). I'm tempted to keep just those sites and unfriend everyone else, and send them a note saying the reason is because you haven't proven to be a real friend to me here...but I worry that would look childish...

Hi...

It would look, to them, childish - but would be utterly justified!

Bizarre, really!

We live in Dark Times! The saddest part is that...if we ever really do find the solution for loneliness in our own lives, we'll not have enough years left for there to have been any point in such a discovery; we can never get those solitude years back, again. I also think that we all - all lonely people - have SO MUCH TO OFFER the world, but the world doesn't see it!

We are always one impossimile and dozens of incredimetres away from the end of loneliness - but, I still feel hope about the chances of beating it in this life!

Ian.

dk1967 said:
Someone else started a similar thread a few months ago and I shared my thoughts, which are that for me Fakebook is just a reminder that I have no real friends...like last august I was sad on the one year anniversary of the death of my cat, I posted this and didn't get a single compassionate comment from my "friends." I debate getting rid of it but I do like some of the news and activist style sites (Sick of the Slant is my favorite). I'm tempted to keep just those sites and unfriend everyone else, and send them a note saying the reason is because you haven't proven to be a real friend to me here...but I worry that would look childish...

I think its justified getting rid of the useless FB friends, and i have tried it in the past but got fed up of people asking why i'd deleted them(they were more bothered about been a friend down)....but now i've deactivated my account, not one person has asked me what's wrong or if I'm okay....its like i don't exist in the real world as i don't have FB anymore!....one of my half arsed friends was describing her costume that she wore for Halloween, and she said 'oh you can't see my photos as you don't have Facebook'....how did people cope in the past!?

Facebook is something that makes me very uncomfortable, it is this worldwide movement that 'normal' people have all latched onto.

I don't use it, and even if I wanted to I couldn't because you have to have that 'average' of 200-300 friends. Having just one person in my life, facebook is not for me.

To be honest, aside from not being the person it's aimed at, facebook is so shallow and soulless that it makes me sick. It's so boring looking, and I really detest the whole 'like this, like that' thing that goes on there. It's a constant sucking up party, it seems and a place to boast about the boring things in life, like having babies. Yes, sorry, that doesn't interest me a bit, nor does what someone did or where someone went to.

And the one person in my life also spends half her day on the thing, playing those mindless, sickeningly time consuming games. So when I'm with her, I just see her looking at a screen in trance, for 1 year straight now!

As you can tell, I'm not facebook's biggest fan...

I hope that you'll forgive me for saying this, but it sounds as if the only person in your life is being EXTREMELY RUDE and insensitive towards you, being online and playing Facebook-related games while you just sit there wondering why you visited at all.

I like it. I try not to post anything too informative or I will avoid posting when I'm in a bad mood..... 99% of the time I regret w/e it is posted and everyone seen it so.... lol. *shrugs* It's nice to connect with family I haven't seen in years.

I get the impression that friends are for making off-Facebook and then taking along with you, or hunting for and finding, onto Facebook. To have no friends or other contacts BEFORE frequenting Facebook seems to make the entire Facebook experience close to worthless.

But, I can't shake off that tendency to believe that Facebook is a toy for people (to pick up and play with) who already know each other; a quickly-fading novelty of communication and sharing.

Ian Haines said:
I hope that you'll forgive me for saying this, but it sounds as if the only person in your life is being EXTREMELY RUDE and insensitive towards you, being online and playing Facebook-related games while you just sit there wondering why you visited at all.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Cityville is all that matters to her, I hate it!

I've got facebook for remembering people's birthdays and knowing when there's something to do in town. I only occasionally comment on someone elses messages and I almost never put up a message myself. Facebook is actually a stimulus to loneliness. It forces people to pretend to be someone else. Everyone is looking for acceptance. People befriending other people they barely know so they feel less bad about the size of their friend list. Users posting honeysuckle no one cares about to show they got stuff going on in their life. People deleting posts if they don't get enough attention or attention from the wrong people. It's all hypocritical bullshit. I selectively decide what I put on FB and what not. I prefer to remain a closed book to most rather then putting myself in a vulnerable position.

Facebook is a superficial way to get attention. Create a persona, attract as many other personae as possible and call them 'friends'. There's nothing wrong with it, unless you think those "Friends" count for something. They don't. Nobody 'likes' a Facebook friend more than a real one; they just use the online numbers to bump up the popularity of their online persona.

Any friend who's on Facebook while she's with you has confused online popularity with real popularity. She'll eventually realize how immature she was.

Latest posts

Back