Facebook!your views

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh Facebook

I just got on FB in the last year and it's OK. There is good a bad.

I would give it up with not much thought, though.

What I like is the handful "friends" I genuinely ENJOY chatting with. I also like to get posts from interests I like...inspiration, sewing, yoga, vegan cooking, animals, etc. That is fun and ups my day.

What I don't like is the many who post constantly everyday (assuming others are interested), who post their politics in a very judgmental or arrogant manner (assuming others feel the same), those who BRAG about their lives and how great it is or post pithy things.

I've learned a lot about others and a lot of it has lessoned my respect for them. It's not that I won't be friendly with them but some of the things people post are quite ignorant. It's amazing. I don't like them so much and realize I can't be close to them because of this.

I realize I am a more private person. I don't feel comfortable posting things to 100+ people at one time. I do post occasionally but that is it and rarely, if ever, anything personal. I NEVER brag EVER! I could, though...but I don't because I think it's obnoxious. I don't want to be like the others who feel a need to brag. I do comment on others stuff a significant amount of time but stopped commenting on those who never comment on my stuff and only comment on those who appreciate/enjoy my comments.

There is one woman who posts how happily married she is, how she loves the wonderful neighborhood she lives, and even onetime "I LOVE MY LIFE"!!! I don't know...I just wouldn't do that. Yes, there are times I love my life but I do NOT post it online. I just quietly say thanks for the good in my life and move on because I don't want others to feel bad just like I don't want to feel bad.

I agree it's annoying when everything is online these days including all of one's social life. One "friend" on FB wont' even communicate on regular email. How narrow is that? He posts all the time...doesn't he have other things to do?

I find forums, such as this one, much more fulfilling. People are more honest on forums, less likely to pretend to be someone else and deeper more sincere discussions take place. I don't find that these kinds of discussions happen on FB precisely because it is not private and too many people involved. So everything is kept at a kind of superficial level.

I just wanted to add one more thought. Like you (I assume) I am looking for genuine friendship and intimacy. FB has not provided that really EXCEPT for this one "friend" I befriended who I really enjoy conversing with and he me. But I am not his real life friend in real life...and I would like to be. But really, it has not satisfied that longing/wish I have in me.

It is a very good way of finding out stuff.

I went out with this woman about 6 weeks ago.

I 'liked' one of her photo's and she put 'I am flattered' And also on the date itself, she put 'having a nice evening with good company' - I liked that.

A few days later all of this had been deleted by her. mmm ? I wonder why ? lol
Of course I found out later she was seeing another guy from her facebook and she probably deleted my stuff not to upset him.

I don't think I went overboard with my comments yet they got deleted.

putter65 said:

I 'liked' one of her photo's and she put 'I am flattered' And also on the date itself, she put 'having a nice evening with good company' - I liked that.

Of course I found out later she was seeing another guy from her facebook and she probably deleted my stuff not to upset him.

I have 'friends' on there who do similar things, like they will post as their status, 'does anyone have the phone number for emergency docs'...and i'll post the number, and my replies will almost always get deleted by my 'friend'...i have worked it out that I'm not answering her attention seeking question with 'Oh NO,OMG what's happened!!!??', so my comment isn't of any use.....but i figured that she's sat on FB on her computer so she could much easily GOOGLE the number!!!

twinklestar said:
putter65 said:

I have 'friends' on there who do similar things, like they will post as their status, 'does anyone have the phone number for emergency docs'...and i'll post the number, and my replies will almost always get deleted by my 'friend'...i have worked it out that I'm not answering her attention seeking question with 'Oh NO,OMG what's happened!!!??', so my comment isn't of any use.....but i figured that she's sat on FB on her computer so she could much easily GOOGLE the number!!!

The thing to realize is 'facebook friend' and 'friend' are two seperate and different things.

It's best to treat it all as a lark and not too seriously. Somebody 'liking' your status doesn't mean jack honeysuckle really.

I hate social networking sites in general. They are nothing but a popularity contest. You've got a bunch of immature people trying to impress other immature people. As you said, people go out of their way to make their lives look so darn fun and interesting on Facebook, but IRL, they are just like you or me.... but you'd never be able to discern that by looking at their profile. People in general have a hard time being honest to one another, and social networking sites do nothing to help the problem. I for one can't stand dishonesty, can't stand half-truths, and can't stand deceptions large or small. So.... clearly I wouldn't be able to stand FB because that site is build on that honeysuckle.

Everytime I log in, a wave of uneasiness/anxiety comes over me. Literally. I know that phonies inhabit these sites and I don't want to be associated with them in any fashion. It just seems like such a lop-sided view of reality. Everything in positive on social networking sites. Everybody posts happy statuses or happy pictures with people smiling and having a good time. I know that life isn't like this all the time.... in fact, very rarely, for me anyway. I see very little negativity. I'd like to see somebody upload a picture of themselves on their worst day ever. Maybe seeing that would help balance it out a little bit. I'm reminded of the time I posted a piece of a poem I wrote as my status. It was ignored by everybody, as all my other statuses, except for my ex-girlfriend who said I shouldn't be so negative.

I felt insulted. :( You're free to be yourself... just as long as that's happy I suppose.

I have no interest in that sort of thing, part the reason I think I do not have any friends... main expressions of friendship now seem with "social networking"; few times I actually came to talking to some people, when asked "do you have a facebook?"(or other similar social networking site account) and i say "no", it generally ends at that...

I want friendship but when say I want friendship, i mean a true friendship.. not internet correspondence where you occasionally "like" some text a person posts on a website.. I want to meet and talk to people face to face, not posting comments on some one's "wall".. Even to have a pen-pal by snail mail would be more fulfilling than that, to me, I think.

I just recently got on facebook finally. I have been between myspace and facebook now a few years. I was waiting for facebook to be replaced by something else. It seems to be sticking for now. I am finding it is a great way to get news and other information. It saves on links and favorites. It is easy to have your own sort of web page without knowing how to code. You can get customized news feeds. Connect with people and chat. See what people are up to. Play games. Use it to log into other sites. Help people to get to know you better by having a page they can look at and know a bit about how you see yourself and your interests. You have the possibility of talking to famous people through it. You can find out about new books, movies, events, websites, plus more. It is nice and simple and straight forward without excess junk that makes the pages load slowly.

All these emails I get I can get alot of news through it instead much easier.

Thanks evanescencefan91 for giving me an excuse to start setting it up. I already have found a friend I lost touch with.

Yoosha said:
Am I the only one here who likes Facebook? :D

Apparently. Facebook to me a is a painful reminder of how phony MOST people can be. i have a handful of friends on there that I don't' consider phony, but I actually talk and communicate with them in channels OUTSIDE of Facebook, thus I don't consider them "Facebook" friends. There are a lot of people who ONLY want to be your "friend" on Facebook and couldn't give two shits about you in real life. It's people like this that give social networking a bad name in general. I think the idea behind social networking in general is a great one: helping people find and connect to old friends and associates. The problem, which not everybody seems to encounter, is that these old associates are narcissistic phonies who care nothing for the people they "friend" and only do so to increase their friend count and thus "popularity".

Social networking is a great idea, in concept. But the forms that is currently takes on in Facebook, Myspace, etc, are toxic to people such as myself.

They should do away with friend lists anyways. No one else needs to know how many people you are friends with. Maybe it would reduce those kinds of activities. I think on Facebook it is an option but yeah >>.

Latest posts

Back