Family Is Driving Me Insane

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

My family is driving me insane. Every time I go to talk to my mother she talks to me in this mocking tone of voice. Every time I talk to her I am not nice back. I'm irritable and talk down to people I know too well. Every time alex talks to my mom he talks to her like that. Every time Todd is around he is like this.

ITS DRIVING ME INSANE! Why cant we just be nice to each other?!?!

Why do I feel like I cant be nice to people if they get too close to me? Why do I feel like I'd treat people in the same mocking/distainful way?

******* bloody hell.

My mom takes that tone of voice with others now too.

Everyone is chronically irritable about everything.

*breathes*

I used to feel guilty about acting this way, now I dont because it seems like everyone acts like this.

Is this normal to happen in a family?

It's not like this happens once a week but it happens all the time and it's not just me who does it. Everyone does.

Advice would be appreciated.

*sigh*

^_^ haha.

Soph, I think this is somewhat normal... to bicker and not always get along with your family. I mean, my dad still calls to ***** and moan at me! but, i think you could use a break... maybe a vacation... or a job, where you are out of the house most of the day and don't have to really be around them so much.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to talk to her about how you are feeling... maybe try and figure out why there is so much tension going on between everyone.

try and do things *you* enjoy, take some *you* time to focus on what you feel is important.

well... in our family.. it's either horrible or not talking at all :/ so i can't really say.
seems like sometimes it's hard to be close to people and keep being nice to them. i don't know.

in any case... i'm sorry you feel frustrated :( i wish i had something constructive to say :(

Shoot them while they're sleeping, and bury them in the back garden. It's the only way (6)

I dont understand why its so hard to be nice to the people you are close to though...

Hon, I feel for you. It would drive me insane. One thing I'll say for my uber-repressed WASP background is that in my family we stay the fresia out of each other's business. It definitely has its perks.

In my IL's family, on the other hand, everyone was constantly all up in each other's business, criticizing, putting in their 2 cents all the time. OMG, it was maddening.

((((Soph)))

SophiaGrace said:
I dont understand why its so hard to be nice to the people you are close to though...

They say that "familiarity breeds contempt."

Ugh.

With your family, everyone knows exactly which buttons to push to get a reaction. I still don't understand WHY anyone would want to indulge in that though. It's childish and petty.

It sounds like you want to stop this behavior, but the idea of taking a break from each other is a good one. Take a small period of absence, or if this isn't possible, just find some way to get some space. Then, after this, really try talking to them about the issue, you may have to be the one to reach out on this issue and there's no guarantee it will go well, but if it does the reward will be worth the risk.

When my brother and I were both teenagers and living at home, that's exactly how we were like. I think (in my case at least) it's a natural biological process designed to get the parents to push the kids out of the nest, and to make sure the kids leave.

The article you linked is REALLY interesting. Next time my brain is working, I'm gonna have to go over the source material for it.

I agree with Punisher, shooting them is the only way. Orrr, you can all get drunk. You'd love each other then!

Latest posts

Back