Feeling alone amongst friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be a Saint

Reaction score
Hey all, although i have a few friends why is it i still feel alone when im with them?

Ive been out tonight for the first time in months but even though the people ive been out with ive known since primary school i still feel alone and like an outsider when im with them.

I dont even know if these can be classifed as friends since i only talk to them once every few weeks! I just dont seem to fit in wherever i go.

Im so frustrated with myself! I just dont know what to do! Id give anything to have the confidence to approach people, especially girls, just seems the older i get the harder it seems to be.

Thanks for reading

My life is kinda of like that too. I have tons of friends, yet no one is really close to me. Sure, I hang out with them at all, but most of the time, I feel like I am transparent....I guess, sometimes its not the number of friends that really counts, it is the quality. You can just have one friend in your whole life but if he is a nice dude or he rocks your world, who needs other friends.

i feel like that too, i think its caused by two things-
a) you're so used to being on your own that you need to relearn how to reconnect with other people.
b) you just don't have anything in common with them, or you may not be on the same wave length as them

stella said:
i feel like that too, i think its caused by two things-
a) you're so used to being on your own that you need to relearn how to reconnect with other people.
b) you just don't have anything in common with them, or you may not be on the same wave length as them

In regards to b, that would suck if you felt that way all of the time with everyone.

Fortunately I have a few people I can feel a little at ease around. Not many though.

I have the exact same problem.Whenever I hang out with people that I'm generally comfortable with I still feel very incredibly alone and I really can't determine, I mean we have a few things in common but I guess I am on a different wavelength than others, I'm not entirely sure.

This thread is like 2 years old

I dont so much feel alone, I just feel I wish I had better/real friends.

wow....yeah Im the same way, its so hard to even approach a girl in the first place. And even surrounded by them all the time!

lonelycollegeguy00 said:
its so hard to even approach a girl

Anything that's worth doing is hard to do. :D And approaching a girl is definitely worth it.

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
lonelycollegeguy00 said:
its so hard to even approach a girl

Anything that's worth doing is hard to do. :D And approaching a girl is definitely worth it.

----Steve

Lol totally true, but only if there's a good end result ;)

The hardest part about approaching girls is not letting rejections get to you.

That EXACTLY the way it would be for me in high-school (now I'm home-schooled). The people I hanged out with, would just feel like people I hanged out with, but not people that are my friends. We have somethings in common, and nice conversations. But, everytime I try to make a friend-like connection with them, nothing would happen, they still be ppl I hang out with, and not only that, but I would also feel more like an outsider.

Gee, people are just complicated, aren't they?

Be a Saint said:
Hey all, although i have a few friends why is it i still feel alone when im with them?

Ive been out tonight for the first time in months but even though the people ive been out with ive known since primary school i still feel alone and like an outsider when im with them.

I dont even know if these can be classifed as friends since i only talk to them once every few weeks! I just dont seem to fit in wherever i go.

Im so frustrated with myself! I just dont know what to do! Id give anything to have the confidence to approach people, especially girls, just seems the older i get the harder it seems to be.

Thanks for reading

I'm sorry you feel alone even with people around you have you ever tried speed dating or volunteer and meeting someone who also volunteers?

I feel that way too. All my friends are attractive and have girlfriends. I'm the ugly single guy of the group. I feel like I don't belong with them, but they are good people trying to help me out. And for that, I am grateful.

i feel lonelier when i'm with my friends because they are all so happy with their life, it makes me feel very empty inside. All my friends are in love and i'm the only one single in any gathering and it makes me very uncomfortable. People think i'm doing fine coz i'm always cheerful but only God knows how much i want to leave this world.

Be a Saint said:

Thanks for reading

Dun blame yourself for this.Sadly this world is for people who talks loud than people who play quiet.

The feeling of being in a group but not being able to converse with them is tough.Everyone is talking and I would be listening to them.When I talk back,I hold back again because I was afraid that people do not listen.

My advice is to find people who have your passionate interests.If you like soccer,find people who play soccer.For me,I love going to the arcade and my friends are those who share the same interests.

Hope this helps.:)

Latest posts

Back