Finally gathered the courage to post

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stepchild

Reaction score
Hi there.

I've been lurking here for a bit, and finally got myself to register. I'm Martta, I'm 24, I'm from Finland. I don't have many friends, and I may go four or five days in a row without really having a conversation with anyone. So I guess I'm hoping this board might help with that.

Well, at least this is one problem for which the existence of a message board may in itself be a remedy... that's pretty cool.

Heya Martta, nice to see another Finn 'round these parts! Originally came up here myself to alleviate some of those acute feelings of loneliness you'd get from being a veritable hermit. This place has done wonders for my mood, found several nice folks to talk to almost immediately. If you're feeling up to a chat, you can always send me a PM, love to talk to new folks- and it seems you would perhaps welcome some banter, even if it is idle chatter.

Stepchild said:
Hi there.

I've been lurking here for a bit, and finally got myself to register. I'm Martta, I'm 24, I'm from Finland. I don't have many friends, and I may go four or five days in a row without really having a conversation with anyone. So I guess I'm hoping this board might help with that.

Well, at least this is one problem for which the existence of a message board may in itself be a remedy... that's pretty cool.
Hi Marta
How are U
How is life in Finland. it should be pretty cold nowadays, isn't it?
what U do for living, where are your parents

Welcome Martta. I am glad you decided to post. :)

Hey, thanks everyone. It's great that you regulars appear to be patrolling the New members' forum to welcome newbs like myself. :> (Well, I do suppose threads like this one would be pretty useless if no one were there to acknowledge it.)

You'd think posting on a message board wouldn't be a big deal, but then this little voice inside me starts to nag, "What if no one bothers to reply? What if you say stupid things/too much/not enough? What if you eff up with your English and end up embarrassing yourself?" Wonderful stuff like that. Apparently being faceless/anonymous doesn't make me any more self-confident.

Heya Martta, nice to see another Finn 'round these parts! Originally came up here myself to alleviate some of those acute feelings of loneliness you'd get from being a veritable hermit. This place has done wonders for my mood, found several nice folks to talk to almost immediately. If you're feeling up to a chat, you can always send me a PM, love to talk to new folks- and it seems you would perhaps welcome some banter, even if it is idle chatter.

Thanks Bread. I'm surprised there aren't more Finns around here (or is there? maybe they're just shy), because it's a dark and cold and harsh country after all, and people are all seriously introverted, so you'd think there'd be a lot of people with problems with loneliness. :>

Stepchild said:
Thanks Bread. I'm surprised there aren't more Finns around here (or is there? maybe they're just shy), because it's a dark and cold and harsh country after all, and people are all seriously introverted, so you'd think there'd be a lot of people with problems with loneliness. :>

I think it might be the culture. Not quite the british 'Stiff upper lip, lads!', something along the lines of 'Screw it, no sense in complaining since nobody listens, I'll just take another Karhu until things start looking better or I pass out, whichever comes first.' We're not a sharing culture, that's for certain.

Haven't run across any other Finns here, altho' as you can see, haven't been here too long myself. Might take some serious scrutiny to uncover if there's any elements lurking around.

Bread said:
I think it might be the culture. Not quite the british 'Stiff upper lip, lads!', something along the lines of 'Screw it, no sense in complaining since nobody listens, I'll just take another Karhu until things start looking better or I pass out, whichever comes first.' We're not a sharing culture, that's for certain.

Oh yeah, I like to think it's the culture. I've wondered at some point if it isn't just some tired old stereotype, but I guess even those sometimes do have a basis in reality. In my mind The Rest of the World is a mystical wonderland where people are actually able to approach one another even while sober/offline. (Of course, that doesn't seem to always be the case, or else this forum wouldn't exist.)

Whenever I grow tired of blaming myself for my loneliness, I start blaming the society. :> "If only I didn't live in this stupid country, I bet I'd have tons of friends."

Latest posts

Back