Folk Music

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Apothecary

Reaction score
I sure hope dedicating a thread to a particular genre of music isn't too specific. If it is, I apologize.

In any case, I wanted to make a thread to share and perhaps discover some more wonderful folk music. I grew up with Newfoundland folk music, but it wasn't until last year that I started listening to folk music regularly. It quickly became one of my favorite genres and most of the songs that have truly moved me on an emotional level fall under the banner of folk music.

So, please, by all means, if you have any suggestions for songs or bands, feel free to post them. Folk music has been deeply inspiring for me and it can never hurt to have a few new songs/bands to listen to in the new year. I don't know, maybe this is a waste of time, but I find this to be such a fascinating genre and maybe I'm not the only one on here that feels that way.

I know of a lot of cheerful folk songs and plenty of sad ones to boot, but I think I'd rather start this off on a light note with a few humorous songs. One is from The Dubliners and the other is from The Corries.

[video=youtube]
[video=youtube]

Great thread idea. :)

My favorite folk musician - Woody Guthrie:

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

I also like Roscoe Holcomb quite a bit, though his voice certainly isn't for everyone:

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

The Incredible String Band is some of the best music I've ever heard. Spent a big part of my life listening to these. I wont link them all or the thread will get sluggy :)

[youtube]bgkxSSQbGsI[/youtube]

[youtube]httmbpZejUA[/youtube]

@Barbaloot: Glad you think so. Here I was getting a tad paranoid over nothing, haha.

@painter's radio: Can't say I've ever heard of The Incredible String Band before, but I enjoyed the songs you linked. Thanks for sharing.

In any case, great suggestions thus far, folks. I haven't listened to much American folk music, but I really should look into it. I enjoyed the ones posted here thus far. Thanks again for sharing.

One more song from The Dubliners for now. A bit of a sad one written by Phil Coulter about a town called Derry. Songs about war always seems to be the ones that really get to me. I've never been directly affected by war, but it still horrifies me.

[video=youtube]

"Now the army's installed by that old gasyard wall
and the damned barbed wire gets higher and higher
With their tanks and their guns, oh my God, what have they done
to the town I loved so well"

"For what's done is done and what's won is won
and what's lost is lost and gone forever
I can only pray for a bright, brand new day
in the town I loved so well"

Those lines in particular are strikingly beautiful to me.

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

The Moon and the Nightspirit, folk duo from Hungary

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

Faun, pagan folk group from Germany

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

been listening to a lot of this lately (john hurt, not "butt" songs) [video=youtube]
did anyone already post john renbourn?
[video=youtube]

I loved Simon and Garfunkel ever since we listened to "I Am a Rock" in English class back in grade school. I often find myself relating to that song.

[video=youtube]

Latest posts

Back