From "Hate" to "Dislike"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Case

Reaction score
Do you hate a certain TV show? I mean really hate it?
Do you hate certain sounds, tastes, or sights?
Do you hate certain people, their clothes, their hairstyles?
Have you ever been called a "hater?"

Everyone from my friends, to my exes, to my relatives have used one word to describe me. That word is "nice." It's comforting to know that almost everyone around me thinks I am a good person, generally agreeable, and good to be around. However, I recently realized that my personality might be taking this "nice" thing a bit too far. Why?

You see, I have chosen to remove the word "hate" from my daily vocabulary. Let me explain.

I just don't like (hate?) using the word. To me, "hate" describes an emotion so extreme that I cannot think of a single thing in my life that I can realistically use that word to describe accurately. Also, when I think of the word "hate," I have images of the Nazi Holocaust, prison gangs, anti-Western jihadists, screaming talk radio hosts, and rabid sports fans who resort to violence over some ball game.

Every time I have the urge to use the word "hate," I (hate?) am repulsed by the fact that the use of the word associates me with groups that I (hate?) never want to associate with. Therefore, I consciously replace "hate" with the word, "dislike," or some other variation, as seen above.

My problem? I wonder if this is healthy.

I suppose this is my way of being mindfully positive; the idea being that if you rephrase something in positive-sounding language, whatever you say sounds more respectful, more kind, and encourages less negativity in your own life.

But ever since I've chosen not to use "hate" to describe anything I'm feeling, I have noticed more acutely that the people around me say the word "hate" all the freaking time. Quite a bit more than I realized, actually. They say it almost too much. Either they hate a band, or a TV show, or an actor, a fragrance, the guy driving next to them on the freeway, or the way someone is breathing, etc.

I hear it so much that it's almost comical.

"Oh, I hate that brand of coffee."
"Really? Would you march on the streets against that coffee brand? Would you not vote for a politician who uses that coffee brand? Would you disown a son or daughter who DARED to like that coffee brand in your presence?"
:p

I'm not saying that the word doesn't have its uses or that it should be removed from our dictionaries. Not at all. I love words and language, and I love following word origins. However, I wonder if a simple change in our word usage might create less friction and less (hate?) divisiveness between people, or am I simply wasting my time on a needless effort when it's perfectly fine to "hate" anything I like?... Or, don't like, as it were. :D

Case said:
Do you hate a certain TV show? I mean really hate it?
Do you hate certain sounds, tastes, or sights?
Do you hate certain people, their clothes, their hairstyles?
Have you ever been called a "hater?"

TV shows, yes.
Sounds yes, tastes yes, sights no.
Certain people, no (person yes), clothes and hairstyles, no.
Called a hater, no.

I don't see the word hate as strongly as some, to me it's just a word to describe dislike for something. Like asparagus, I hate it, it's gross. I wouldn't say I dislike it because that would mean to me that it is something I'd eat if I had to or could tolerate, which I can't. Same with cucumbers. Also the sound of bag pipes, I hate it, I can't stand to hear them being played. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. As for the person I admit I hate, that is a long story and hate isn't strong enough a word for that person. But "certain people" not sure what you really meant by that but I don't hate "people". There are people I may not like but I don't hate them. I wouldn't change those to dislike for the reason I stated above.

Sci-Fi said:
I don't see the word hate as strongly as some, to me it's just a word to describe dislike for something. Like asparagus, I hate it, it's gross.

That's interesting. Maybe I am inflating the term to mean the same thing across the board when there are variations. For instance, hatred for asparagus is probably not the same emotion as a racist's hatred of a specific race of people. We would call a racist part of a "hate group," but clearly, asparagus haters aren't categorized as a "hate group." That's an interesting point. (I actually love asparagus. lol)

Sci-Fi said:
But "certain people" not sure what you really meant by that but I don't hate "people". There are people I may not like but I don't hate them. I wouldn't change those to dislike for the reason I stated above.

Yeah. I didn't mean groups, but examples of individuals that inspired hatred. Examples would be the person in front of you in the grocery store checkout line who pulls out a checkbook that indicates a slower transaction, the snobs in high school because they act self-superior, or the guy driving the expensive car because of a perceived bias against the wealthy, etc. I probably should have written "an individual" instead of "certain people."

At any rate, the top portion of my post was a lead-in to the rest of the message and only intended to be rhetorical. :)

I've never been called a hater though I hate a lot of things. Practically I got at least one example for each category you named. Some people claim that's a question of emotional balance. Those who want to love also need to hate to some degree.

Personally I got an unhealthy focus on negativity though. I'm confused by the opposite. People always say they LOVE this show, this person, a whole group/'scene' or just some food - while I just like this or that particular thing at best.

Then I picture a contrary situation to the one you illustrated. Excessive love for everything. Someone moving to another part of the world, jumping off cliffs, leaving his roots behind - for the love to his/her favorite food or TV show? I guess these are the things one would do for a Klondike bar...

Case, I totally get what you mean. I try not to use the word hate because to me it is such a strong word, unless I really really mean it - which is almost never. I'd usually use the word "dislike".

I don't like the word "hate." I encourage my kids not to use the word, in the same way I encourage them not to say fresia or honeysuckle or ass. lol

I don't think it needs to be used and people overuse it and/or use it incorrectly.

I hate Jersey Shore and wonder who people can truly be suck low life scum.Same with the Brit version 'Geordie Shore'.
There is NO need for incessant swearing and vile remarks for no reason.

But more than these shows even I hate whistling tv ads, they drive me bonkers,why are they trendy they are insulting and annoying!

Latest posts

Back