Frustrating Friendship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a pleasant day watching my mate and others paragliding. He really appreciated me coming along with him.

View attachment 8503

That looks awesome. In fact, I might like to try it someday.
I've always had a kind of love/fear feeling with flying - fear because it's a long way down, but love, because it looks so cool and romantic.

Have you ever wanted to try this yourself?

It's a very cool picture anyway.

That looks awesome. In fact, I might like to try it someday.
I've always had a kind of love/fear feeling with flying - fear because it's a long way down, but love, because it looks so cool and romantic.

Have you ever wanted to try this yourself?

It's a very cool picture anyway.
I've got no desire to do it Ska and it's an expensive sport, which I can't afford in any case. I used to be a fixed wing pilot and flight instructor and I've had my fill of flying around the skies to be honest. In different circumstances I might have made more of it, but that's life. I went with my mate to get out of the house, spend time with different people, maybe take some interesting photos. I recall during the day itself that I didn't at any stage feel any real excitement or joy, and the day was long and tedious for the most part, but it was sunny, lovely in the shade of a tree and kept me busy. I just went with it, knowing in advance what I might expect, so I didn't get upset or bored or lonely when I was off to the side while the others flew about. The chats were engaging throughout the day. It was certainly better than sitting at home doing little.

Last edited:
Going back to the cancelled camping - If you go anyway, what if it turns out he did you a favour by cancelling and you going alone? I mean, like, what if something special/unexpected happens?

You never know.

I go camping alone often. The trouble with my mate was, I don’t go camping one week if I’m going to go the following week or the week after. I can’t go away that often. It’s just messy how he mucked me around.

9 months later i can probably confirm that my friendship has solidified somewhat. Now that he has fully settled into retirement, he's been able to get his head straighter a bit more, and the recent death of his father and me creating a memorial video for the funeral for his family, and a couple of other events in his life, has had him become a little more humble and appreciative of my friendship.

Old thread, but you should realize how typical this is of many (most?) people in our age groups. I wouldn't read much more than that into it. Your choice if you want to bother with him again.

Last edited:
Old thread, but you should realize by now that many (most?) people in our age groups of non-committal half-arses. I wouldn't read much than that into it. Your choice if you want to bother with him again.
I'm not sure if you read my last post in this thread, but the friendship is in a better way in my opinion. In my head I've come to terms with various points of this friendship and want it to continue. When I have moments of frustration or disappointment, that's on me, and I have to resolve such feelings within myself. He is a good bloke, with faults like we all have.

Latest posts

Back