Gifted... Possibly Also AD/HD?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italianxidiot

Reaction score
Hello. I'm not quite sure whether I should be here or on a AD/HD forum but I figure the least I can do is lay out my problems and see what advice I can get.

I'm nineteen years old and was classified as gifted in grade school. I had some problems with everyday life (ex. difficulties making friends, procrastination, etc.), things that normally occur with being gifted. When I started college, I realized that there might be something else wrong with me when I nearly failed out. I thought that I was just being lazy and went another semester. Nearly failed out again. I tried harder next semester. Same thing. Switched my major. Better grades, but not even close to what I know I can do.

I'm experiencing some symptoms: awful sense of time (always late or early, never on time), procrastination, horrible short-term memory (never remembering words in a conversation, forgetting to do important things, losing crucial items), difficulty focusing on boring subjects (which is leading to my poor grades), focusing on interesting subjects to the point where I lose track of time, emotionally intense, hard time making friends, difficulty sitting still, talking excessively... and the list goes on.

I know that symptoms of being gifted and symptoms of AD/HD are similar, but I don't know whether it's just symptoms of being gifted or whether there's a little more to the story. I need to know whether I'm just lazy or "normal" for a gifted person. Maybe there's someone else out there with the same problems.

Another problem is my parents' reactions to anything I have to say. I mentioned wanting to see a psychiatrist to my mother and she completely dismissed it. I need some real help and I don't know how to get it. Is there any way that I can get help without her knowing (I do still live with her)?

Short version: I think I may be twice-exceptional, gifted with AD/HD. My parents don't believe me. What can I do to get help?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help you can give. I know this isn't a typical question, but I'm thankful for any advice I receive.

italianxidiot said:
Hello. I'm not quite sure whether I should be here or on a AD/HD forum but I figure the least I can do is lay out my problems and see what advice I can get.

I'm nineteen years old and was classified as gifted in grade school. I had some problems with everyday life (ex. difficulties making friends, procrastination, etc.), things that normally occur with being gifted. When I started college, I realized that there might be something else wrong with me when I nearly failed out. I thought that I was just being lazy and went another semester. Nearly failed out again. I tried harder next semester. Same thing. Switched my major. Better grades, but not even close to what I know I can do.

I'm experiencing some symptoms: awful sense of time (always late or early, never on time), procrastination, horrible short-term memory (never remembering words in a conversation, forgetting to do important things, losing crucial items), difficulty focusing on boring subjects (which is leading to my poor grades), focusing on interesting subjects to the point where I lose track of time, emotionally intense, hard time making friends, difficulty sitting still, talking excessively... and the list goes on.

I know that symptoms of being gifted and symptoms of AD/HD are similar, but I don't know whether it's just symptoms of being gifted or whether there's a little more to the story. I need to know whether I'm just lazy or "normal" for a gifted person. Maybe there's someone else out there with the same problems.

Another problem is my parents' reactions to anything I have to say. I mentioned wanting to see a psychiatrist to my mother and she completely dismissed it. I need some real help and I don't know how to get it. Is there any way that I can get help without her knowing (I do still live with her)?

Short version: I think I may be twice-exceptional, gifted with AD/HD. My parents don't believe me. What can I do to get help?

Thank you in advance for any kind of help you can give. I know this isn't a typical question, but I'm thankful for any advice I receive.
My therapist who works with people who have learning disabilities was pretty sure I had ADHD. I can't take medication because of health problems, so I've had to try various coping methods. Whether you're issues stem from being gifted, having ADHD or both (which is common), Trying different techniques can't hurt. There are a lot of books and online resources on the subject. You could also try modifying your diet by cutting out sugar, preservatives, food colorings and simple carbs if you haven't already.That never hurts either. I notice a big difference in my abilities depending on my diet. Also, parents sometimes go into a state of denial that their children may have problems with stigmas attached to them. Maybe she would be more receptive if you asked for a life coach instead, although they're not covered under insurance. Even if you end up getting medication, your therapist will still want you to try complimentary therapies anyway.

Thanks to the both of you. WL7.3, I'll start with trying to control myself on my own, regardless of what is actually the problem. Less money spent that way. :p

Medication may help but everyone with learning disabilities or ADD/ADHD should still consider pursuing remediation therapy, and accommodation to better develop coping mechanisms. General practitioners have a different school of thought than psychology, but they can still diagnosis and treat. They're the affordable option. Was there never a school psychologist in the picture? If there was a suspicion of these disorders, they should have performed an evaluation.

What does classified as gifted even mean?
What would you say if I told you there are characteristics of ADD/ADHD which are not discussed online, and only neuropsychologists are typically knowledgeable of?
You should be free to discuss any concerns you might have with your doctor.

^ is that some kind of neuropsychologists' trade secret to not be discussed online?

There are no trade secrets here. Namely, the neuropsychologist is a clinician trained specifically to distinguish between learning disabilities, ADD, ADHD by noting the clinical presentation and behavioral observations, then selecting which evaluations are appropriate. Whether Das Naglieri, or Kaufman, there needs to be a determination made by the clinician based on their observations. There's specific indicators they need to look for in determining which assessment to administer. Focusing intently on solitary objects or ideas is actually a very important observation for the clinician in determining attention deficit disorder. I guarantee no webMD site is going to mention this important indicator online, along with what years of training and academia teach the clinician.

Basically, we should not diagnose ourselves.

Sounds reasonable.

Off to check out this cognitive assessment system, because the heck, I'm curious.

P.S. You wouldn't know where to pirate this as an e-book? :p

I forgot to mention the fact that I'm a psychology major, so perhaps I'll get some opinions from my professors. Hopefully, they can guide me in the right direction and can either offer help or direct me to it. Thank you all for your help.

This is definitely a sign of attention deficit disorder. I have it, and I have the same symptoms.

By no means is this a mental deficit, if you let it be. If you treat it, and manage to learn to live with it, it's not something that would be a troublesome thing.

Latest posts

Back