Going to see the pyramids... alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit83

Reaction score
Seriously I don't recommend anybody to go there on his own (and don't recommend anybody to go anywhere else alone either). Besides getting screwed up all along the little trip around the pyramids (being led from one shop to the other) you'll find out that there actually is nothing much to see on the site except ancient dirty rubble, and tourists all around, fainting they're interested in what the panorama can offer... (You'll benefit more from watching videos and pictures about ancient Egypt from behind the screen.)
I rent a little dirty horse which I couldn't drive properly since it's been my first time riding a horse, and my so-called guide wouldn't let me drive it myself; instead of explaining things like: who built the pyramids, when, why and all the ******* WH questions, the guide kept talking about money with his silly Egyptian accent: "...if I make you happy, you make me happy, ok?..."
("Ok ************... keep bullshiting me...")
I couldn't understand a word of what he would say; in the end I stopped listening to him, his voice started to be annoying and I couldn't focus on the panorama.
It's been almost a month that I've been here in Egypt, and it's the first time I really felt that I've been treated like... let's say mere honeysuckle.
And now I'm back to my flat... still alone. :club:

this is where i meet up with my husband in person, the first time we met. it was really nice. egypt is amazing.

the people are funny.. always asking for backseesh

I think traveling alone anywhere (unless completely voluntary when the option of traveling with someone is available) would be very lonely. Maybe not for a social butterfly, but for someone like me it would be. Not to mention more dangerous.

dude that is awesome I've always wanted to go and travel, being alone should never stop you from traveling or doing awesome honeysuckle like that,

I hope you have a great time

:D

Hermit83 said:
, the guide kept talking about money with his silly Egyptian accent: "...if I make you happy, you make me happy, ok?..."

haha, At lest you know you where being bullshitted :p A lot of ppl don't you know :$
Seriously though I hate ppl that do this.
No thought process at all in there trying to shaft you XD

I hear you about traveling alone tho.
I would love to go visit the pyramids and egypt and just some of the world but I think I would get moor lonely traveling alone then I would to be at home alone. At lest at home I gots the interwebs.

jales said:
always asking for backseesh

I gotta ask what is backseesh?
Am guessing its a backhander?

I dont know if I spelt it correctly

but it is how they ask for a tip, they always ask for a tip. In the pyramids itself.. one guy just put his two hands together in the shape of the pyramid.. the easiest thing in the world and wanted backsheesh/a tip.

The want backsheesh if they open a door for you, or if they smile at you, or tell you where to go shopping, etc.
But they are nice, if you dont give them they are fine, but they will ask you like a hundred million times in any case.

If I said no, they would say 'But you are an american... little of your money will make good backsheesh here'

or something to that effect.. then I could proudly say. No I am Trinidadian and my money is worth even less than yours! Lol. Was fun, then I had to explain that Trinidad was in the Caribbean and they mostly left me alone after that... some even offered me things for free when I told them my money was worth less.

They were so nice lol.

Bluey said:
Hermit83 said:
, the guide kept talking about money with his silly Egyptian accent: "...if I make you happy, you make me happy, ok?..."

haha, At lest you know you where being bullshitted :p A lot of ppl don't you know :$
Seriously though I hate ppl that do this.
No thought process at all in there trying to shaft you XD

I hear you about traveling alone tho.
I would love to go visit the pyramids and egypt and just some of the world but I think I would get moor lonely traveling alone then I would to be at home alone. At lest at home I gots the interwebs.

jales said:
always asking for backseesh

I gotta ask what is backseesh?
Am guessing its a backhander?

jales said:

but it is how they ask for a tip, they always ask for a tip. In the pyramids itself.. one guy just put his two hands together in the shape of the pyramid.. the easiest thing in the world and wanted backsheesh/a tip.

The want backsheesh if they open a door for you, or if they smile at you, or tell you where to go shopping, etc.
But they are nice, if you dont give them they are fine, but they will ask you like a hundred million times in any case.

If I said no, they would say 'But you are an american... little of your money will make good backsheesh here'

or something to that effect.. then I could proudly say. No I am Trinidadian and my money is worth even less than yours! Lol. Was fun, then I had to explain that Trinidad was in the Caribbean and they mostly left me alone after that... some even offered me things for free when I told them my money was worth less.

They were so nice lol.

Maybe I could tell them am english then and my money is taxed to hell lol
It always amazes me how some of the developing countries think countries like america and England have an infinite amount of money.
Where as there is a lot of ppl in this country's that struggle to feed them self has well. I guss countries like Egypt don't see that though as tourists mostly do have spar cash otherwise they would not be on holiday would they.

But that is amazing that they offered you stuff for free just cos of where you was from.

Yea it's about perception.

And it was nice stuff. I generally said no, but one person who offered me a bracelet insisted, that I keep it, and I still have it.

Lol but maybe they give stuff to people from other countries as well. I dont know, but they always only offered after I explained to them that my money was worth less than theirs.

Bluey said:
jales said:

They were so nice lol.

Maybe I could tell them am english then and my money is taxed to hell lol
It always amazes me how some of the developing countries think countries like america and England have an infinite amount of money.
Where as there is a lot of ppl in this country's that struggle to feed them self has well. I guss countries like Egypt don't see that though as tourists mostly do have spar cash otherwise they would not be on holiday would they.

But that is amazing that they offered you stuff for free just cos of where you was from.

Are you still in Egypt? If so, what's it like being in the middle of what could very well be "history in the making" for Egypt and it's people. Hope you're safe.

Yea I guess you cant get internet ..but we are really interested in what happened. Please tell us what it is/was like when you all get internet back or when you get to a place with net.

I hope you are well.

Latest posts

Back