Hi, I'm new

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

writerchick

Reaction score
I found this site from searching on how to accept that I'm going to be alone forever and how to deal with the fear and pain of this.

A little about me I'm female, 41, an only child, and live in WV. I'm educated and have a decent paying job but don't like it much. I'm the girl that guys don't see. I've always been quite and an introvert.

Most of my life I believed in that bs about how someday, somehow someone will find you when the time is right. But as the years have passed by, no one has come to me. A few years ago I started a full blown effort to find a nice man. I joined many of the popular dating sites, I read books on dating, I asked people I knew about where or how to find someone. None of this worked. In all my years of online dating, I've had 3 men interested enough for dates. Two were duds and one was great but he turned out to be still living with a woman and had no desire to be with me after a year of talking and seeing each other.

I've hired consultants who all told me the same tired stuff, do more things, volunteer, join groups, travel, take classes. The last consultant basically had nothing more to say after I gave him a list of my activities. Still no one single, male, close to my age has crossed my path.

I went to counseling last year and the counselor told me I can't help you find someone. He wanted to give me coping skills, but after a month and a half of weekly visits, I wasn't anywhere with him. He just repeated everything I told him. And I had nothing to show for the sessions.

I'm active with a photography club in town and we go on outings but no male in the club is single. I volunteer with animal rescues and that's a female dominated but it is my passion. I don't like clubs or sportbars, so I don't know where else single males hang out.

I've been told by people how lucky I am to be single and that having friends is better than any partner. Although many of these people call me a friend, it's in name only. When I ask to do things with them, they always have family commitments. Now I don't even ask to do things.

As I say, I'm so scared of being alone forever. I'm falling apart on the inside because no one wants to be with me or do things with me. My own mother doesn't care. I told her that I wanted to be with someone, her reply was: Why do you want to be with someone, I don't. That was a WTF moment. A few days ago I confided in her again about being lonely and scared, she said So am I. She has no empathy for me or my problems at all.

So that's why I was trying to understand being alone forever because I don't see anyway out of the darkness

Welcome to the site, writerchick. Maybe we won't be able to offer you any new answers, but at least there's people here who can empathize with you and your situation. I hope you find something here that's worthwhile :)

Just wanted to say "hi" and I once drove through West Virginia, during mid-October, and couldn't believe how beautiful it was...red, yellow and orange autumn leaves, arch bridges, valleys, etc. Most beautiful state I've ever been in during the fall. Oh well, sorry for the ramble. Hope you enjoy your stay :)

Hi Writerchick.

Wow, I could have written that! It's so similar to my situation (even down the the unsympathetic mother!). I haven't been as active in clubs and activities as you (joined some dating sites but no one interested at all), but I am 37 and feel the same. I want to meet someone, but I don't actually meet any available men....at all! The last guy I had a relationship with, I discovered that I was the 'other women'! Not a great moment for me.

But, hi and welcome to the forum :)

Welcome fellow introvert.

There are guys that see the quiet ones in the corner. I am one of them. It's just that our types generally don't initiate anything with other people. Lately I have been trying to change that in some ways as I am in the same boat. I embrace my "introvertedness" as it has afforded me time to think about life a lot which has opened my mind up quite a bit, but I think we still have to put in a little effort. And while I have only encountered unavailable women or women that are not compatible romantically, I have encountered a few people that I relate to in a general sense that have become friends. Though for people like us, most are more like acquaintances. You will go through many people before you find the good ones, but I hope you can manage to do the same.

Minty said:
Hi Writerchick.

Wow, I could have written that! It's so similar to my situation (even down the the unsympathetic mother!). I haven't been as active in clubs and activities as you (joined some dating sites but no one interested at all), but I am 37 and feel the same. I want to meet someone, but I don't actually meet any available men....at all! The last guy I had a relationship with, I discovered that I was the 'other women'! Not a great moment for me.

But, hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you ever want to talk in PM, I'll be happy do that :)

edgecrusher said:
Welcome fellow introvert.

There are guys that see the quiet ones in the corner. I am one of them. It's just that our types generally don't initiate anything with other people. Lately I have been trying to change that in some ways as I am in the same boat. I embrace my "introvertedness" as it has afforded me time to think about life a lot which has opened my mind up quite a bit, but I think we still have to put in a little effort. And while I have only encountered unavailable women or women that are not compatible romantically, I have encountered a few people that I relate to in a general sense that have become friends. Though for people like us, most are more like acquaintances. You will go through many people before you find the good ones, but I hope you can manage to do the same.
Thanks. I like the quite guys and thought I had one. I'm trying to understand where they might hangout so I can take the step toward getting to know a nice guy.

Hi writerchick. I know there are people in your area who are in a similar situation, just as I know there are people in my area who are similar to me. I wish I had an answer as to how to find them. Welcome, though. :)

writerchick said:
Thanks. I like the quite guys and thought I had one. I'm trying to understand where they might hangout so I can take the step toward getting to know a nice guy.

From what I've seen a lot of introverts tend to spend a lot of time at home unfortunately. Online searching is an option. Or maybe a bookstore. I'm still trying to convince myself to hang out in one for a while and read something to see if anyone catches my interest or if I catch anyone's interest.

Hey writerchick, welcome to the forum. Hope you'll find what you're looking for here, good luck.

edgecrusher said:
From what I've seen a lot of introverts tend to spend a lot of time at home unfortunately. Online searching is an option. Or maybe a bookstore. I'm still trying to convince myself to hang out in one for a while and read something to see if anyone catches my interest or if I catch anyone's interest.

I do a lot out but I'm always alone and no one approaches me. I've been more pro-active about talking with men, but they end up being married or in relationships. I've spent time at a local bookstore but I never see anyone, mostly older people or women. There's a coffee shop I'm going to hang out at for a while.

Hello writerchick. Welcome. How are you? I have no new advice, I'm only nineteen, but I think I may be alone forever. :/

Latest posts

Back