Hi

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliceisopen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a 45 year old mother to three children I work part time and I am married. I used to have quite a wide circle of friends, in my 20s but as time has gone on a lot of them have moved abroad or away and lost contact - I have phoned and tried to keep up contact with most of them, but I think friendship has got to be a two way thing, no good me doing all the 'running' to try and maintain a friendship. Perhaps I expect too much. I have a couple of closeish friends now, who i see a few times a week,but I still feel like I would like to make one or two (or more!!) good friends. As you get older I think it becomes harder to make friends, at school you are pushed together with commonalities and so on, but the older you get the harder it gets I think. People are all busy (me included) with our lives and especially living in a highly populated area, everyone tends to keep themselves to themselves most of the time. I hate feeling lonely, it makes me feel sick sometimes, and then negative feelings creep in. Hope to be able to chat to others in my position, perhaps get help/advice and generally have a laugh and feel better!

D

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you for the welcomes!!!

I was driving and thought of some strange equation. For every 8 possible friends I try and befriend (sounds daft I know!) only 1 ends up a friend....so the possibilities are something like 88 per cent against me making anew friend. All that effort!!! Since I moved from another area, four friends have moved away, one to a different country and others just dont' bother really keeping in contact at all, despite me emailing and phoning.

My new saying (new?) is "friendship is a two way street" - I seem to give, and if I dont' get anything back I should just accept it, as one of those things. I will try and remain positive and keep trying. I do have a couple of close friends, if not in proximity then at least in the emotional sense.

What kinds of responses have people here had to trying to make friends with people? Would be interesting and i would think that it would perhaps be a similar sort of percentage/success rate. Perhaps!

Latest posts

Back