Holding a Job

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haz

Reaction score
So something i've always had difficulty with is holding a job for an extended period of time.

I've spent the past 3 years not knowing what I want to do shifting from one job to the next and recently i've procured a (very difficult to get in this town) apprenticeship as a chef at an Indian restaurant. I love it, the work environment is extremely positive with great people teaching me and they always send me home with a beer and a tub of food so I can't complain about that.

Problem is, I have a 3 month or so trial period where either party can back out of the arrangement without hassle and i'm a little concerned that I am going to do something to mess it all up. I don't know what it is, but when it comes to the work environment I have a tendency to get all muddled up and do something foolish despite my best intentions, my depression has always made me feel low self esteem in these moments which I find it hard to let it slide and just move on with my work which leads to more of these moments piling up. I've been giving my marching orders from employers I had otherwise gotten along well with more times then I would like to admit, all over multiple bumbling errors I could have avoided with a little more care. At the end of the day, it just makes me feel lousy and as if i'm not fit to try and run with the rest of the human race and if I were to lose this apprenticeship I would probably just drop everything and run away to god knows where, because if I spend another year or two unemployed in this small town I would probably end up trying to kill myself again.

I am always on time, I listen attentively and treat management with respect, I keep quiet and do my best to do a fast, efficient job of whatever I am told to do. Communication can be a barrier, these indians running the place don't speak english as a first language, have strong accents and talk quietly and more often then not I find myself trying to clarify messages which ultimately end up still distorted. This leads to some confusion, but i'm doing okay. Repeated questions seems to be a problem, often I forget names of things or where stuff is located and it makes it awkward as I know I should be progressing further than I am. I just wish I could whack some sense into myself sometimes, I want to do my best to make a good impression but somehow I either do something stupid or find myself fully comprehending the right thing but being misunderstood through one way or another and having to explain myself.

:club:

How does one grow from their experiences without having to learn the hard way over and over? I really want to keep this job as at the end with enough industry experience i'll be a qualified chef, and although I feel as if I have a fair chance because i'm getting MOST things consistently right pessimism is eating at me. Any advice? Thankyou.

Hey Haz, my advice is to be THE person everyone else comes to when they have a problem or need something done. Give 100% all the time and stay on top of everything. Make them feel like they need you- be aware of everything that's going on and be as much of a part of it as you can. Continue to work hard and treat people with respect. :) You'll be golden.

And even if the worst happens, don't let it get you down. There are plenty of other towns and villages and cities. There's opportunity everywhere. Just do your best to be the go-to guy. :)

I held the same job for over 16 years. Making a career change was more challenging for me.

I actaully had a job that dosn't pay as much as i used to make and its a lot of hard work.
Its more than just about the job for me at the moment.
I putted my life on hold for a couple of years becuase of some challenges or changes in my life
I had a hard time adjusting or moving forward from it.
In my current job, I'm just suiting up and showing up. Getting back into a routine. Still taking baby steps upon many baby steps Ive taken since I decided to get well.

I dont belive I'll be working here for the rest of my life, but I'm still making a commitment to myself
to work here for at least a year.

I've been working on myself and healing for the past couple of years.
My life had steadily had been improving little by little. Lots of changes little by little.

anyway, thats how I'm doing it.

If you love your job, don't mind about the hardship. It's part of the job, dealing with your boss is always the most common issues in the workplace. Know how to deal with them, show them that they need you, not you need them. At the end of the road they'll find out you are worth keeping for. Set your mind and stay focus at work no matter how things goes on. Know how to hurdle conflicts and to get over the finish line at the end of the day well satisfied and without hassle. Learn to enjoy your work. Stay connected to your fellow workers with ease and comfort, language is not much of a problem as long as you have the good attitude and friendly rapport. A smile will always satisfy ones stress knowing that you can manage to see the brighter side of the day despite of the work pressure. Stay up and show enthusiasm to your job nevertheless.

You can also check this book my friend had recommended me, hope this can give you a little comfort and improvement in your workplace: http://www.thehappyworker.com/

In your spot, I would actually get with one of the other kitchen workers after work and try to learn some Indian.

I think they would really be impressed by that and it would show a tremendous dedication to the job. Anyone willing to improve during their off-hours is automatically better than 30% of the competition. And, of course, you would understand more and bridge more of a connection to them personally.

As for common sense, it is very much a learned thing. Just try to think about what you're doing. Does it make sense? Is it a round-about way of doing things? Is it what you were asked to do?

And when you're not actually doing it, review your performance in your head. Spot things you could have done better, or improved on.

Thanks guys.

Over the past couple of days I have been focusing as much as I can on improving specific weaknesses, which has been benefiting me and giving me a huge boost of confidence as I am starting to receive more praise than criticism. I haven't completely eliminated the bumbling learning curve, which has resulted in a few "what the hell are you doing?" type moments. However, I try and rationalise that for every task I get wrong for one reason or another I should just take it on the chin and learn from it. If I get at least two others right for each mistake it more than makes up for it.

In your spot, I would actually get with one of the other kitchen workers after work and try to learn some Indian.

I think they would really be impressed by that and it would show a tremendous dedication to the job. Anyone willing to improve during their off-hours is automatically better than 30% of the competition. And, of course, you would understand more and bridge more of a connection to them personally.

This is a very good suggestion, actually. I've been picking up a few words here and there, and my poor pronunciation has been something of an icebreaker (they all have a good sense of humor about it).

Good to hear you're improving. That's what it's all about is improving our problem areas to improve performance, and if they're taking note, that's great :D

showing interest in the food, culture and language is a pretty good idea and it sounds like it's pretty entertaining all round. i work with 3 indian guys and they're all likeable and unfortuately getting a little exploited by the bosses.. nother story..

i would also suggest that you not be afraid to ask questions (if you are), i find that it's better to ask then pretend you understand something only to stumble on it later. it also shows that you are keen to learn.

and be easy on yourself.. working in a kitchen, let alone learning to be a chef is more complicated than just learning to boil an egg. keep practicing attentiveness and focus.

Latest posts

Back