Holiday Depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I have a love hate relationship with the holidays. But I am feeling that old creeping holiday depression coming at me. It typically starts off in a few ways.
  1. Work is compressed: Typically people like to take a lot of time off around the holiday, so in order to accommodate this, EVERYTHING has to be shoved into the weeks around the holidays. So those weeks are hell, full of rushing and frustration. So people can go away for the holiday weeks. Also during these compressed work weeks, there are Christmas parties, informal Christmas parties, Christmas cards, buying decorations, buying gifts... and on and on and on.

On the holidays themselves, the world comes to a halt. There is nothing on tv, you can't go shopping, you can't go to the library, if you get sick you probably won't get the care you would on any other day, if your cat gets sick, well you will be pretty much at the emergency vet, if you are at work, you really can't do much, if your heater breaks... good luck with that, it is like you have fallen into a scary vacuum where all you can really do is a. have friends / family or b. sleep. It is like this scary time each year where I feel like the world has left me and I am literally all on my own and, I resent it.

This year is no different. I am already shoving things into my work that I shouldn't be doing because people are trying to clear before the holiday week. My cat is sick and I worry that I will get stuck with him in dire straights during this vacume time. He tends to only get sick when nothing is open. ( my vet doesn't feel it is serious and wants to take a wait and see approach). On top of all that I have a list of gifts I have to get (not sure why as I ate all these people) and I want to send x-mas cards but I doubt I will have the time. On top of all that I am waiting for something to happen that I want to happen (I hear tomorrow) and if it doesn't happen I know it will put off until December because of the holiday. F*** the holiday. I am SICK of the holiday.

Then, shall week talk the constant threat of bad weather?

Anyone else feeling it?

I never liked the fact that 99% of businesses are shut down over a holiday. There are a lot of fun things I would like to do because I'm off work but I can't. Movie theaters around here do a booming business though because they are typically open! I've gone on nature hikes and walks through parks to get some fresh air but then if I'm alone and I see big families enjoying themselves, I feel down.
I think your cat will be ok. A sick pet during off hours could happen anytime of the year, not just a holiday! Just make use of the emergency vet if you need to. Maybe the employees there will be glad to have the company!

PS, Skip the gift-buying for the people you hate and join the Christmas card exchange here! I was in a deep melancholy last year because of a move but the cards made it 100% better.

-Teresa

Yes, I get an idea of what you're saying. You have your working life and your personal life. When you take the working life away for a time period, it feels odd, because you've been accustomed to the routine and schedule during your working days. I think that explains the "emptiness" you feel during the holidays.
Some new stressors are added, that you've let pile up due to the time and dedication your work requires. Then, once you've finished doing these chores or strenuous tasks, you mostly likely want to fill your time with some activities. This would require you to plan everything out, depending on your circumstances and your personal preferences, the options can be overwhelming. Whereas if you are working it feels routinely and in a way fixed, you are given a role, a specific date and time and you know what to do.

SofiasMami said:
I never liked the fact that 99% of businesses are shut down over a holiday. There are a lot of fun things I would like to do because I'm off work but I can't.

Yea but those people that work there deserve a holiday too.

LonelySutton said:
My cat is sick and I worry that I will get stuck with him in dire straights during this vacume time. He tends to only get sick when nothing is open. ( my vet doesn't feel it is serious and wants to take a wait and see approach).

What is wrong with your cat? Maybe try a different vet for another opinion.

But I feel you. I hate the holidays. I have to see my family, and they get pissed if I don't show up, but then it is so stressful to be there. And it's the end of the semester, so I have to wrap classes up at work and create and grade final exams. Why does everything have to hit you at the end of the year? Oh well, that's life I guess.

I actually love the holidays, but since I don't have accessible family, and friends are always busy, it's a rather quiet and lonely time of year for me, so it hasn't been as enjoyable the last few years.

Sometimes, I wish there was an TV infomercial to benefit lonely people during the holidays.

"For only 52 cents a day, you can adopt a lonely man or woman for the holidays. Don't you want Sally here to have a Happy Holiday? Holiday loneliness doesn't just happen in the movies. It's happening in your own area, and you can help. Please give as much as you can."

Case-there was an elderly man who advertised in a newspaper last year for a family to adopt him for the Christmas season and he got lots of offers.

i love the holidays...i'm already listening to christmas music at work, home and charger via pandora...christmas music calms and soothes me...i think about how fun it was at christmas time as a child w/my 2 brothers...i love watching christmas movies also...especially the classics like miracle on 34th street and it's a wonderful life...it's a peaceful time of year and i always look forward to it... :)

I might have seasonal affective disorder, so I guess I feel a little down every once in a while, but nothing too bad.

Tiina63 said:
Case-there was an elderly man who advertised in a newspaper last year for a family to adopt him for the Christmas season and he got lots of offers.

Oh I remember that! I felt all warm and fuzzy after reading about that.

I'm sorry. I've had to spend a couple holidays alone, and the Internet really doesn't cut it. Can't even go out for a treat like on a regular weekend.

Nicolelt said:
SofiasMami said:
I never liked the fact that 99% of businesses are shut down over a holiday. There are a lot of fun things I would like to do because I'm off work but I can't.

I was thinking the same thing. Some people deserve to be off work, but others at other companies don't?

VanillaCreme said:
Nicolelt said:
SofiasMami said:

I was thinking the same thing. Some people deserve to be off work, but others at other companies don't?

Chinese people don't celebrate christmas. So, my mom and I always go to chinese buffets since they're open on Christmas.

We like to say we are jewish. ;) Since that's what Jewish people do during the Christmas season when they have off work.

First, there are plenty of people who are forced to work over the holiday. Doctors, nurses, prison guards, movie theaters etc... so I do think that things should be open - although I don't see why they have to be open normal hours. People who work there who do want to work should. Or, as in the case in my workplace... if you work on a holiday or weekend you get another day off. I would be perfectly happy if businesses opened 7 AM to 1 PM or 4 pm to 10 PM. I am sure it could be worked out. I just hate the way the whole world is like- "but it is the holiday" um ok.

I also despise that tv is such a vast wasteland. Why don't they put on programming that people really want to watch. Not parades. I know you can watch shows you missed but somehow it isn't the same. It is also a reminder that you aren't with family to see this programming that is put on there because they presume you aren't watching.

Every year I hear about the debate about making people work on Thanksgiving. What is even that holiday anyway. I mean we all sit around and eat? What a weird holiday. Maybe it is time to consider if this "holiday" is really all that sacred.

LonelySutton said:
First, there are plenty of people who are forced to work over the holiday. Doctors, nurses, prison guards, movie theaters etc... so I do think that things should be open - although I don't see why they have to be open normal hours. People who work there who do want to work should. Or, as in the case in my workplace... if you work on a holiday or weekend you get another day off. I would be perfectly happy if businesses opened 7 AM to 1 PM or 4 pm to 10 PM. I am sure it could be worked out. I just hate the way the whole world is like- "but it is the holiday" um ok.

I also despise that tv is such a vast wasteland. Why don't they put on programming that people really want to watch. Not parades. I know you can watch shows you missed but somehow it isn't the same. It is also a reminder that you aren't with family to see this programming that is put on there because they presume you aren't watching.

Every year I hear about the debate about making people work on Thanksgiving. What is even that holiday anyway. I mean we all sit around and eat? What a weird holiday. Maybe it is time to consider if this "holiday" is really all that sacred.

I think it comes down to it being a family thing. Growing up we might visit two different households over the course of the day, and anyone who was working might be absent from one or both of those.

VanillaCreme said:
Nicolelt said:
SofiasMami said:

There have been years where I've been incredibly lonely over a holiday and would have welcomed the opportunity to work. But I understand most who celebrate the holidays prefer to have time off work.
One year about 12 years ago, I had split from my ex-husband and was alone over Thanksgiving. Since my family lives far away and I was relatively new to the area, I had nowhere to go. I sat at the table and ate turkey by myself. I remember going for a walk in the neighborhood and being on the outside looking in to people's homes with the lights on and cars parked in the driveway and there I was - by myself. Having somewhere to go would have at least taken me away from those awful moments.

Having said that, I usually look forward to the holidays no matter what. We're putting the Xmas tree up next weekend and I just found out I'm cooking for 20 on Thanksgiving. But I don't do any Black Friday shopping - no way am I fighting crowds for a $30 TV at Walmart! :D

-Teresa

I often get depressed during the holiday.

Sometimes I'm ok, but often times I feel down; I usually cook a nice meal by myself (no family) and get a little tipsy on alcohol then cry myself to sleep... :rolleyes2: Although, around Christmas I do like to go for drives (car) or walks to look at Christmas lights.

SofiasMami said:
Having said that, I usually look forward to the holidays no matter what. We're putting the Xmas tree up next weekend and I just found out I'm cooking for 20 on Thanksgiving. But I don't do any Black Friday shopping - no way am I fighting crowds for a $30 TV at Walmart! :D

Well, it sounds like you have a nice Thanksgiving coming up. I have holiday depression starting around Thanksgiving. Some good friends have included me in a T'giving dinner ritual for the last few years, and it's much better than being alone. But after that, it's back to feeling isolated, and by Christmas Day, when everything is closed, and families are celebrating, I'm usually alone. I try to get in the spirit of it, but it's hard when you have no one to celebrate with. Same for New Year's Eve. I just try to get through it sober.

DVEUS said:
i love the holidays...i'm already listening to christmas music at work, home and charger via pandora...christmas music calms and soothes me...i think about how fun it was at christmas time as a child w/my 2 brothers...i love watching christmas movies also...especially the classics like miracle on 34th street and it's a wonderful life...it's a peaceful time of year and i always look forward to it... :)

My thoughts exactly, DVEUS. Also, the guys, at work, wanted to hear some Xmas music with the daily music through Pandora, so their wish was my command.

I would also include A Christmas Story with the movies I like to watch during Xmas...hell, it's on rotation for 24 hours on TBS (starting Xmas eve), so you can't miss it...haha.

I like that, in general, people seem to be in better moods during this time. Sadly, it seems to end after New Year's.

Case said:
I try to get in the spirit of it, but it's hard when you have no one to celebrate with. Same for New Year's Eve. I just try to get through it sober.

I just go to bed early on new years. I never have understood this holiday. Where I live we have these "first night" celebrations. Which, I do NOT get. I mean I get they are trying to distract people from having nothing else to do but get drunk, but when people tell me to go, I think they are insane. It is typically freezing out and most activities are outdoors. I feel like any holidays during the winter should have all traditions be inside. Instead they have ice sculptures, outdoor parades... insanity.

I do like Christmas music and lights and stuff like that but mostly I don't think it is worth it.

Case said:
SofiasMami said:

Well, it sounds like you have a nice Thanksgiving coming up. I have holiday depression starting around Thanksgiving. Some good friends have included me in a T'giving dinner ritual for the last few years, and it's much better than being alone. But after that, it's back to feeling isolated, and by Christmas Day, when everything is closed, and families are celebrating, I'm usually alone. I try to get in the spirit of it, but it's hard when you have no one to celebrate with. Same for New Year's Eve. I just try to get through it sober.

That does sound lovely. I'd love to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner. But the people I live with aren't very interested in all that. They always go to my guy's sister's house, and last year, I was so tired of it, I didn't bother going. Growing up, we never really went to other houses for Thanksgiving, so I don't really enjoy doing it now.

I don't get depressed at Christmas, not as bad as that. I don't enjoy it though. Just a very boring, tedious day with nothing to do.
I used to look forward to Christmas day and it always fell flat. None of my family are festive or jovial. Weather is usually depressing, tv is crap, horrible, horrible day !

Latest posts

Back