How to address my non-Japanese bosses?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prodigy

Reaction score
I'm working for a Japanese company and in my workplace, there's both Japanese bosses and non-Japanese bosses over here.

With my Japanese bosses, I'll usually address them by adding the word "san" behind their names, because according to the Japanese culture it's rude to directly address someone with their names unless you're close to them.

But how about my non-Japanese bosses over here? Do I need to address them in that Japanese way too since this is a Japanese company? Or can I just address them directly with their name without adding the "san" word behind, since they're non-Japanese? What's the right way to address my non-Japanese bosses without appearing as rude?

I think you'll be fine to add "San" when addressing both Japanese and non Japanese bosses. It's not like its rude or anything and even if, for some reason, one of your non Japanese bosses takes offense I am pretty sure they'll tell you politely.

Then again, I am answering based on all the research I've done on Japanese culture so take my words with a grain of salt.

Is the company in Japan? If so you should respect their culture. But to be on the safe side I agree with Sunless Sky. If the non Japanese bosses don't feel you need to they'll probably tell you it isn't necessary. If the Japanese bosses are around with the non Japanese ones you probably should. But it is probably best to use san when addressing either boss so you don't mess up and forget when talking to your Japanese ones.

I'm not sure. But, I bet there's a new pronoun of some kind that you can use. In the US we address American Bosses as hey *******. Respect is only given during reviews and when receiving paychecks.

Latest posts

Back