How to end a conversation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreedomFromLiberty

Reaction score
I'm not horribly bad at starting conversations because I understand that simply talking about something going on around you is a good general rule. Nor am I horribly bad at keeping a conversation going, because I have learned to hop from topic to topic as the conversation evolves.

Where I am stuck now is that I don't know how to properly end conversations. Because I don't know how to end them, I often times find myself avoiding people entirely so as to not be accidentally sucked into a conversation. I will even avoid talking to people who I think I would like to talk to simply because I can't be sure what exactly I will find out about the person in the course of talking to them, and whether or not the conversation will drift to a natural, graceful end, or if it will end awkwardly with me running the other direction.

Once it feels like a conversation has run its course and I'm tired of talking or want to do something else, can you just be like "well, I'm done talking now" and then go on about your business???

I have considered simply giving out a business card when I want a conversation to end so that I am at least giving the other person a chance to get back in touch with me if they feel like doing so. But I can't and won't always have those handy even if I do end up doing that.

What are your suggestions for ending a conversation? How would you end a conversation with someone you like versus someone you aren't sure about?

FreedomFromLiberty said:
Once it feels like a conversation has run its course and I'm tired of talking or want to do something else, can you just be like "well, I'm done talking now" and then go on about your business???

Yes.

It's perfectly fine to end a conversation that way.

What I usually do is just say something simple like, "Well, I guess I'd better head out. Nice talking to you."

Honestly, it's perfectly fine to be abrupt if you need to be. If not, just tell them you thought it was a good conversation, let them know you'd like to talk again or whatever... or if it was a bad conversation, just be succinct and move on.

If you have to, make up an excuse to stop talking. Say, "Well I have to go get this done." or "I need to head this way". I'm awkward, and that's what I do. lol

Badjedidude said:
FreedomFromLiberty said:

Yes.

It's perfectly fine to end a conversation that way.

What I usually do is just say something simple like, "Well, I guess I'd better head out. Nice talking to you."

Honestly, it's perfectly fine to be abrupt if you need to be. If not, just tell them you thought it was a good conversation, let them know you'd like to talk again or whatever... or if it was a bad conversation, just be succinct and move on.

I suppose part of my problem is that I lack confidence. Often times, I'll just stop contributing to the conversation because I get scared about the idea of just outright ending it. That's when things turn awkward.

How do you end a conversation when you are still going to be around the person though? For instance, if I were to strike up a conversation with the lifeguard at my gym's pool, I could see that going awkward if I were to be like "alright, I've heard enough, I'm gonna go swim now". :D

FreedomFromLiberty said:
How do you end a conversation when you are still going to be around the person though? For instance, if I were to strike up a conversation with the lifeguard at my gym's pool, I could see that going awkward if I were to be like "alright, I've heard enough, I'm gonna go swim now". :D

Just be like, I'm gonna take a dip.

FreedomFromLiberty said:
How do you end a conversation when you are still going to be around the person though? For instance, if I were to strike up a conversation with the lifeguard at my gym's pool, I could see that going awkward if I were to be like "alright, I've heard enough, I'm gonna go swim now"

I don't see why that would be awkward. You're already at the pool... chances are you're there to swim, yes?

Just be honest and blunt:

"I'm gonna go jump in now. Save me if I drown! :D"

Latest posts

Back