I don't know how to meet people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.P.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm JP, a 31yo guy. My problem is, I just can't meet new people.

I've always worked at home, I used to draw storyboards for advertising, and for some years now I've been drawing comics. I'm quite happy and love what I do, but I don't get to interact with anyone, my social life is nonexistent and I'm starting to feel very lonely.

I seldom go out. I have some close friends, but they are extremely shy and more troubled than I am. We also don't hang out much now because of each others' work. I did meet some artists I tried to befriend, but it didn't happen. Also I lost a close friend a couple of years ago, because over time he turned aggresive on me, and I've missed him ever since.

I never had a girlfriend, I do have a long-time online friend I like very much, she's so clever and talented, but she has severe social anxiety and it's SO difficult to get her to open up. I finally got her to meet me once and it was great, we talked for six hours, but afterwards when I tried to get closer to her, she increasingly became kind of creeped out. She has her own issues, she has no friends in real life, she never went out on a date, and so on.

Anyway, I started going to a therapist a couple months ago, to try to figure out why I can't click with people. It's been helpful, but we've reached a point where it's all down to me going out somewhere... Because I won't meet anyone staying at home, right? But I just can't get to do it! It might sound silly, but I have not idea what to do, where to go. I don't have the social skills to be smooth when meeting a stranger, and just the thought of rejection hurts me or angers me very much. All people I did befriend, it was them who approached me.

It's so frustrating because I don't really have any other big problems or insecurities, but this is a huge one, and I know that if I don't figure it out soon, I'll miss a lot. I'll never find love, I'll never have a family, and so on.

Well, I rambled on a bit too much, hope I didn't bore you! Any advice you can give me, I'd appreciate it very much! :)

Hi J.P. and welcome to the forum! I wish I could take my own advice, but you could try to set up a meetup group online, or browse your local newspaper for hang out spots and cultural events in your town. The Living section always has reviews on that sort of thing. Also check out any local arts magazines dedicated to the artists themselves. There's one in my metro area that promotes bars, studios, etc. that creative types flock to. Good luck!

Hi Sylvestris, nice to meet you! Thanks for the advice. I tried to meet other people who draw comics, but it didn't work. They weren't very nice to me, but my people skills are terrible, so who can blame them! :D And maybe I gave up too soon.

hey J.P. I'm a fellow artist. not comics but arts in general and videogame custom content. we can be friends if you want. online friends. it would be a start? we could discuss arts and other things. besides comics and storyboards, what do you like to do?

Welcome ^^, I'm up for talking anytime. Feel free to PM me :)

Hi Queen, how are you? Sure I'd like us to be friends, sounds great! :)

I'm interested in most arts, all the visual ones... drawing, painting, photography... Also writing. And I love music and film too, but haven't tried them yet... performing arts are a bit scary to me, but intriguing too!

Ohh you make videogame content? When growing up I wanted to make videogames, and was a lot into programming and drawing sprites. But well, you know how complex games became over the years, so I got more interested in coming up with story ideas and designs than making the actual game :D, so I turned to comics.

Other than that, I like soccer, though I haven't played in a while... And, I don't know, harmless philosophizing about random stuff :D and trying to have a good time.

Well, I'd love to hear about you! Thanks for replying!

Hi Hoffy, thanks! :) Sure, I'd like to talk with you. btw is that Rainbow Dash? I know because the online friend I mentioned loves MLP! :D

Latest posts

Back