I Give Up

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moo5009

Reaction score
I have no friends. Whenever I want to talk to someone, it's always me who has to reach out. Nobody goes out of their way to talk to me EVER. In the rare incidence that this does happen, it's always for business reasons. I'm so fed up with it. I made myself as presentable and as friendly as I possibly could over the past few years, and there have been no results. In fact, some of the "friends" that don't talk to me anyways have started to ignore me. Someone once suggested that it was because people stick with their first impression of a person for pretty much the rest of their lives. So I guess I'm screwed. :(

moo5009 said:
I have no friends. Whenever I want to talk to someone, it's always me who has to reach out. Nobody goes out of their way to talk to me EVER. In the rare incidence that this does happen, it's always for business reasons. I'm so fed up with it. I made myself as presentable and as friendly as I possibly could over the past few years, and there have been no results. In fact, some of the "friends" that don't talk to me anyways have started to ignore me. Someone once suggested that it was because people stick with their first impression of a person for pretty much the rest of their lives. So I guess I'm screwed. :(

Well you are reaching out now correct? That's the first step. Don't worry I am sure everyone is here to help and support you. If you need people to talk to please don't hesitate to PM or message someone! Don't ever give up.

moo5009 said:

Question would be, Why do you need people to talk to you? Search yourself for the answer.

Uber_Psychology said:
Question would be, Why do you need people to talk to you? Search yourself for the answer.

I'm guessing that moo is lonely. Humans are social creatures, some level of social interaction is needed for our very survival.

/\ /\ What Kenny said. It's abnormal to not want to socialize with other humans.

Looks like you're new here, moo - Welcome to the forum!

Teresa

I have the same problem except I don't even have any "friends" to be ignored by.

My "friends" from school ignore me most of the time, too. :( I sit with them at lunch and they talk to each other and I just sit and listen :/ I might as well just sit by myself....

A friend of mine tells me that it's all about common interests.
And I have to think that he's right.
For instance, I hate sports, have no interest in yelling at the TV
and think that watching grown men chase a ball is the world's
most boring pastime. So, that really cuts me out of most of
the "guy stuff" But on the other hand, when I'm in my element
(in the national parks and monuments) I almost always end up eating dinner with new friends because we have that common interest to talk about.

Do you have any away-from-home hobbies, sports, or interests?

Kenny said:
Uber_Psychology said:

I'm guessing that moo is lonely. Humans are social creatures, some level of social interaction is needed for our very survival.
Indeed. We need people to talk to us, because we tend to become emotionally unhealthy if we are starved of meaningful human interaction.

To the OP, I've noticed that friends may sometimes not initiate communication because it is an endless thought-cycle of "Well, if they want to talk, they'll contact me." First, you think it, and so you do not contact your friends. At the same time, your friends are thinking the same exact thing. If neither of you initiates communication because you are all expecting the other to do so, then communication will never be initiated. Just give your friends a call or something. They may be happy to hear from you.

As to people not introducing themselves to you, perhaps they are not the sort that go about introducing themselves to people they do not know. Perhaps you have to do the initial introductions. get the ball rolling.

moo5009 said:

Hey Moo.

I hope today has been a better day for you. I know exactly how you feel. I was homeschooled growing up so I didn't have many friends. I lost most of them when I came out as gay. Right now I only have 2 friends. I know that probably sounds cool to you, and you're right, it is. One friend lives several states away, so we can't interact physically. The other one I made a few months ago, and I was the one that put in all the effort to make him my friend, so I know how you feel as you try to make friends, and no one seems to notice you or to care. Humans are social creatures and we do need some interaction in order to thrive, and I know how it feels to be frustrated in that area, too. When they're ignoring you, whether intentionally or not. When they're busy, or preoccupied, and you're all by yourself. If you want, you can PM me, and I will respond as best as I can, and try to be an online friend for you.

Best Wishes! :)

Latest posts

Back