I have thrown in the towel on relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiet Guy

Reaction score
So, I'm about to graduate high school in Colorado, and in the past several years a run of bad luck has convinced me to quit caring about relationships.
I'm not the kind of guy who goes to parties or knows the 'easy' girls, so dating has been kind of a minefield for me.

In chronological order, I had a crush on a girl who was near my kind of different. She was dating someone who had graduated, and I became closer with her (in terms of friendship) when their relationship was falling apart. Long story short, she told me she had chosen to be a lesbian. Most of me was okay with that as a friend, but as someone interested in her, I wanted to doubt it. Regardless, she went off and had some fun of her own.

That summer, I met a friend of a friend who seemed nice. I though things were going well about two weeks into it, and after that I went on a two week long backpacking trip (fortunately without any modern technology). I got in the car on the way back home, turned on my phone, and it didn't take long to find out she was with someone else and just wanted to be friends with me. I kept hoping she might see me as more than just a friend, but that hope failed.

This other girl worked a nearby theater and was a classmate of mine. After a few months of keeping in contact with her, my naievete caused me to blow it. That one was my fault.

More recently, the girl I took to homecoming was nice, but after getting to know her more, I find out she has a boyfriend. And he's 29. So there was no way I could date her.

After that, I realized I had been spending a lot of my time, expenses, and thoughts on dating. In October of '10, I resigned. I quit. I decided to care no more for dating. With my friends to support me, things have been okay. However, now summer is quickly coming up I'm starting to feel this tugging. Something in me wants to try again, and it's getting hard to tell it to stop. I'm sick of trying and failing.

You're still in high school. Don't give up based on the experiences you have there. "The real world"... did I really just say that, yeah, I'm old... is not anything like high school. Go out and have fun, meet people, get to know people. You never know where it's gonna go. But, don't give up, you don't have to spend a lot of money on dates. Take her on a picnic or for a romantic walk, there are a million things you could do without spending much money. (Granted, you can't do this every time, but...)

Good luck and go for it. :D

Absolutely agree with what Callie has said. Don't let your recent experiences affect what you do in the future. I think the key is not to try too hard - don't view the girls you meet as potential dates - just try to get to know them, have fun with them and then see where it goes.
Good luck :)

Stop befriending women and then expecting them to be something other than friends. You are just driving yourself crazy by stringing yourself along and developing feelings in this cowardly way.

Thrasymachus said:
Stop befriending women and then expecting them to be something other than friends. You are just driving yourself crazy by stringing yourself along and developing feelings along the way.

You are completely right there my friend. It's hard not to think about when you meet a beautiful and interesting woman though. :p

I agree with Firefly, don't try too hard. You are still young, you have your whole life ahead of you. Loves will come and go, and believe it or not, you still have plenty of time to find that special someone who will totally rock your world. I wish you all the best in your search. But just let it happen. It will.

Hey I know that place you are graduating from. I graduated for there as well :D

I wish I had a quarter of as many experiences as you had during my high school years. I was too much of a wuss to even try.

I think you need to stop going such a round about way. All these females you seem to go the route of friendship first, in one way or another. These females probably feel like they are being friend-zoned so they have no reason to be with you.

That tugging you feel is hope. Why not take advantage of this summer and try a different method for pick up females. Reflect on more than just the key points of these past failures. Think about everything you did. Think about all her reactions. Think about everything, learn from the past so your future can be better.

I do not believe in any of this 'friend-zone' theory. Some of the girls I've been with I have been friends with first.

Learn to live by these words, " fresia EM PLENTY MORE AROUND ANYWAY". It doesn't mean you have to be mean or a jerk but dammit it doesn't mean you have to get hung up or put up with their honeysuckle. You should have a general idea of when attraction is mutual between you and another person, so capitilize on that notion and sieze the moment every single time no matter if it blows up on you.

You win some, you learn some, capiche?

I just want to thank all of you for your support. I'm glad to be a part of such a kindhearted community. I started this post when I was feeling retrospective, and sometimes the less fun parts are (sadly) more memorable. Thank you. :)

I stopped reading at, "So, I'm about to graduate high school..."

Seriously give it another 20 years before you "give up on relationships", kid.

SullenGirl said:
I stopped reading at, "So, I'm about to graduate high school..."

Seriously give it another 20 years before you "give up on relationships", kid.

Lol - then you'll be a 39 year old like me and still wanting to throw in the towel :D

Teresa

Latest posts

Back