If some of us came to visit you, where would you take us?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I know this is kind of a silly question....lol I think it would be nice to know a little bit about where the people on the forum might like to hang out if some of us visited. I do have one friend here who has promised me if I ever get to the UK to take me to Stonehenge!

Soooooooo...if money where no object and a group of lonely lifers showed up at your door, where would you take them?

For me, if money where no object, I would rent a private house in Chimney Rock, NC. You can see for miles at the top of it. Movies such as Dirty Dancing and Last of the Mohecians were filmed there. It is so beautiful! We could swim and enjoy a private part of the lake. I would show you around Asheville's down town area that is full of all kinds of arts, crafts, coffee houses, pubs, and best of all diverse people. New age, hippies, preps, mountain folk, pagan, buddhist, enviormentalists, activists, professionals- you name it we have it. We even have our own love guru who has traveled all over the world and get this, a center for sacred sexuality....lol If you were really in the mood, we could head to the River district where there are a lot of artists who have open shops.

Then we would go to the Blue Ridge parkway to see some of the most beautiful scenic mountains you could ever imagine. Have pizza, for Loketron, at The Mellow Mushroom. Watch an off the beaten path movie at Asheville's Fine Art's Theater and the we could end the night by visiting The Green Man pub for music, friendly people and great beer.

That's where I would take you. Ofcoarse that's not gonna happen...lol But it's a nice thought : )

Naleena said:
I know this is kind of a silly question....lol I think it would be nice to know a little bit about where the people on the forum might like to hang out if some of us visited. I do have one friend here who has promised me if I ever get to the UK to take me to Stonehenge!

Soooooooo...if money where no object and a group of lonely lifers showed up at your door, where would you take them?

For me, if money where no object, I would rent a private house in Chimney Rock, NC. You can see for miles at the top of it. Movies such as Dirty Dancing and Last of the Mohecians were filmed there. It is so beautiful! We could swim and enjoy a private part of the lake. I would show you around Asheville's down town area that is full of all kinds of arts, crafts, coffee houses, pubs, and best of all diverse people. New age, hippies, preps, mountain folk, pagan, buddhist, enviormentalists, activists, professionals- you name it we have it. We even have our own love guru who has traveled all over the world and get this, a center for sacred sexuality....lol If you were really in the mood, we could head to the River district where there are a lot of artists who have open shops.

Then we would go to the Blue Ridge parkway to see some of the most beautiful scenic mountains you could ever imagine. Have pizza, for Loketron, at The Mellow Mushroom. Watch an off the beaten path movie at Asheville's Fine Art's Theater and the we could end the night by visiting The Green Man pub for music, friendly people and great beer.

That's where I would take you. Ofcoarse that's not gonna happen...lol But it's a nice thought : )

Well, I'm only two hours from Atlanta! ATL can provide some VERY interesting activities. Lots of culture, history and entertainment! There's something for everyone there. They have a great night life entertainment scene too.

EveWasFramed said:
Well, I'm only two hours from Atlanta! ATL can provide some VERY interesting activities. Lots of culture, history and entertainment! There's something for everyone there. They have a great night life entertainment scene too.
Didn't you tell me there was something like a city underground?
Oh, and you now have one of the largest aquariums in the states, right?

The Smithsonian. I live 20 miles outside of DC. The air and space museum is pretty cool.

Grundel nerd. Grundel geek. Grundel scare friends away!

grundel70 said:
The Smithsonian. I live 20 miles outside of DC. The air and space museum is pretty cool.

Is it interactive, too, Grundel? I bet it would be fun! Do you have a favorite part that you like to visit?

Naleena said:
EveWasFramed said:
Didn't you tell me there was something like a city underground?
Oh, and you now have one of the largest aquariums in the states, right?

Yes, Underground Atlanta, hence the "history" and Atlanta actually has a relatively new aquarium that's actually closer to being the largest in the COUNTRY. It might actually the title of largest, but I can't be certain. I stay away from places like that, however. The military often puts them on their dangerous places to visit list so to speak, lol. I remember going to Underground ATL a few years back and the weekend after we went, my husband got an email (military) and it had been on the list as a potential mark for a terrorist attack, lol. Yay!
Of course everyone will know that probably one of the most notable parts of Atlanta's history, is that it's the birth place of Martin Luther King Jr. :)

grundel70 said:

Hey I'm down with going to the Smithsonian!!!!

We would all stay at the Canaan Valley Resort, Canaan valley is the highest valley east of the Mississippi at 3,200 ft, surrounded by mountains. It's a wildlife refuge, whitetail deer and bears and bald eagles, And has great snow skiing and hiking trails everywhere, horse back riding, mountain biking and fishing. There's waterfalls and train rides powered by old steam engines. Top end restaurant too. It's a couple hours from my house. Hope to see you soon!:)

Naleena said:
grundel70 said:

Is it interactive, too, Grundel? I bet it would be fun! Do you have a favorite part that you like to visit?

Why Naleena, yes it is!

In fact the air and space museum has a couple flight simulators in there, a interactive carrier bridge, IMAX theater, etc...

I think they even have a 'shuttle launch' ride that they have added recently.

The smithsonian is actually a group of museums all right next to each other. Art, Natural history (the Hope Diamond is there), holocaust museum, museum of technology, and the air and space are all within walking distance of each other. It is impossible to see them all in one day.

On top of that the national zoo is close by, the lincoln memorial is right next to the museums, and the baltimore aqurium is only about 30 minutes north...and they have a really cool dolphin show there! In fact that is where my now ex wife and I went on our honeymoon.

oh, and the air and space museum is by far my favorite...but I really want to check out the holocaust museum. everyone I know who has been there says it is one of the most moving, deep, and emotional experiences they have ever had. Its right in my backyard and I haven't been yet...

GHOSTNYOURMIST said:
It's a wildlife refuge, whitetail deer and bears and bald eagles, /quote]

Bald Eagles! Wow! Never seen one. Wouldn't it be cool if one of them dropped a feather? It would be great to have a real feather. I would have to hide it though....lol I heard on NPR that it is a $10,000 fine if you get caught with a feather of an endangered bird. The interviewer asked what if the person just found it on the ground? The speaker said that it didn't matter. I don't care, I couldn't resist having one if it was just laying there...lol

Well, I must admit that I have a fantastic view from my house, overlooking the sea and a couple of smaller islands, and a coastal castle. I'm also in walking distance of the cliff paths, which run along the southern part of this island, and have very impressive views but the nearest beaches (I'm close to the harbour) are a 10 min drive. Although there are some nice secluded ones that you can only reach from the cliff paths.

We have fantastic restaurants, and many very nice bars, so any visitors would be sure to be shown my favourites lol.

grundel70 said:
oh, and the air and space museum is by far my favorite...but I really want to check out the holocaust museum. everyone I know who has been there says it is one of the most moving, deep, and emotional experiences they have ever had. Its right in my backyard and I haven't been yet...

I would love to check out the holocaust museum, too. I would be wearing sunglasses though, just in case.

http://www.ushmm.org/ Museum Web Page

Steel said:
Well, I must admit that I have a fantastic view from my house, overlooking the sea and a couple of smaller islands, and a coastal castle. I'm also in walking distance of the cliff paths, which run along the southern part of this island, and have very impressive views but the nearest beaches (I'm close to the harbour) are a 10 min drive. Although there are some nice secluded ones that you can only reach from the cliff paths.

We have fantastic restaurants, and many very nice bars, so any visitors would be sure to be shown my favourites lol.

Does the castle have a name? Is it open for visiters? Is it haunted?....lol

Do you ever have extreme weather where you have to boared up your house or run for cover?

Steel said:

Visit? I'm moving in!:cool:

EveWasFramed said:

I've never been to Atlanta but I did sail down the Savannah River on the HMS Bounty one time, (Yes, the one they filmed Mutiny on the Bounty on.) Hung out on the river front in Savannah and stayed in Garden City Ga for a couple weeks.
Atlanta sounds fun!:)

The castle is called Castle Cornet, and is open to the public. Parts of it are 1000 years old, and yes, it is supposed to be haunted lol.

No, we don't get extreme weather, if its a spring tide and windy then some of the properties right on the coast need to put out sandbags in case of flooding, but that's about it.

Hi Naleena,

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd pipe in. If you were to visit me I would take you to Quebec City, Canada, with it's beautiful cobble stone roads and 400 year old architecture. We'd take a horse and carriage ride inside the historic walls, then we'd stop at a local bakery for some fresh baked bread and true Quebec cheese! Or we'd go Niagara On the Lake, Ontario and take a wine tour through the gravel stoned roads and sample each winery. Canada is a beautiful country, there would be so much to do!

Hi grundel,

I've visited the Holocaust museum and your friends are right, it was definately the most thought provoking, deep and almost surreal experience I've had in my life.

I came out feeling really quite humble and thankful in a strange way. I think maybe that was especially so as I was an english guy going round the museum with some awesome new friends from all over including 4 german girls and a japanese girl who I had been travelling with for the previous few months.

I think that thrust home just how lucky we are to be living in the time we are. I had a lump in my throat most of the way around it was that emotional, and I'd say you should go as soon as you get the chance.

Avi said:
Hi Naleena,

I'm new to this forum but thought I'd pipe in. If you were to visit me I would take you to Quebec City, Canada, with it's beautiful cobble stone roads and 400 year old architecture. We'd take a horse and carriage ride inside the historic walls, then we'd stop at a local bakery for some fresh baked bread and true Quebec cheese! Or we'd go Niagara On the Lake, Ontario and take a wine tour through the gravel stoned roads and sample each winery. Canada is a beautiful country, there would be so much to do!

Hi Avi
Welcome to the forum. You have described such a perfect day!!
I would love to go on a horse and carriage ride! I've never been on one before. :) Infact, I've never been on a wine tour. But to go on gravel stone roads? Sounds divine. I have to warn you, I never drink, so just a little makes me tipsey...lol Thanks for replying and I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back