If you have no friends

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have no friends.  I am embarrased about it.  Because I am afraid of having to admit the truth, I just avoid people.  

Guest said:
I have no friends.  I am embarrased about it.  Because I am afraid of having to admit the truth, I just avoid people.  
yep, it's that circle...
you'vre gotta have friends, in order to make new one's...

It hurts. I know. I've been there in the howling isolation, the WHY ME? You are not alone in that experience.

This really is such a difficult Catch-22. How many of us have a hobby, or habit, of either dwelling on this icy irony or re-playing the failures of friendships lost? It can be quite addictive, and daily life seems to reinforce the theme over and over again.

There are no easy answers to this, probably no total "fixes" at all. This forum is positive because it is a first step in overcoming the terrible shame>invisibility>shame cycle. We are unique and for whatever reasons have taken on the role of "other" and feel outside the common circle.

What helps me: small, incremental things--the smallest warm interaction, whether by helping another or being open to the positive feeling (again, small in scale) that is in my environment.

Self-affirmation: knowing that as strange as things (and I) feel, I am a part of the Universe, I am part of the fabric of Reality. I Am Here.

Nature: fresh air, squirrels, the green gleam of my cat's eye, planting seeds, the night sky.

Cultivating my interests--reading, creative activities, listening to what inspires me (the inner Muse). Look, if you are never going to be one of the celebrated "normal" folks, why not develop your unique vision? We have a certain freedom that many others do not--by not being accepted, we have "nothing to lose" in becoming visionaries (or at least not credulous sheep).

Stoicism and Humor--this is a difficult burden to bear, as everyone reading this knows, but we must have been especially strong to have taken up its challenge. A sage once said that we are ultimately here on Earth to develop our Integrity. As outsiders, we are doing the advanced/AP version of this. challenge. The humor part is bit dark and bitter...sometimes laughing at myself, sometimes laughing at yet another situation gone really f*cked up (again! again!).

Sometimes, offering a sort of radical peace to the messed up situation we find ourselves in is helpful. Knowing on one level that we want things to be different, we want friends and connections. But perhaps on another, we can embrace and lovingly accept, however quietly, the reality of our lives just as they are right now. What if this is indeed "as good as it will get"--can we even for a few seconds find peace, acceptance, and kindness towards ourselves in that thought? If so, a new window of possibly will open within. Try it with me....

hi, i jost found out i have only 2 friends, what am i suppose to do?

a kiss and a big smile!

angeLLblueshadow said:
hi, i jost found out i have only 2 friends, what am i suppose to do?

a kiss and a big smile!

Treat them really well and dont lose them

dear guest you sound so cool I find it hard to believe you don't have any friends ...but then again ..I'm cool and I don't have any..I like what you have said ..can i be a friend to you?

Guest. Why don't you register? I love your words of wisdom. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all.

adelia said:
Guest. Why don't you register? I love your words of wisdom. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all.

Thanks for the invitation--I registered!

Here's something else I tried in the last two weeks that HELPED:
I seached Meetup.org for groups meeting in my area on an area that interests me--spirituality. I found one 5 miles from where I live, and emailed with the group leader. Me, of the endless litany of social hurts and worse...went to the meeting last Sunday and found Kindred spirits and great fellowship...and have made a new friend in the process!

The Web is an incredible resource if used wisely...so everyone looking for folks you can share and shine with, think about your true interests and enthusiasms, the things that so intrigue or excite you that you to the point that you are shifted beyond your lonley sense of self...and start googling.

The smallest steps really do lead to positive and happy changes in your life...also helping right now: Dr Natura detox program and breaking out the dusty old aerobic weight training videos...be kind to yourself, nuture your passions and begin to feel hope and possibility again. Glad to have found this community!
In friendship,
Saffron

Saffron, .. such wonderful positive words and thoughts. Thank you.

Its just such a hard road to crawl out of the isolation at times.

mirrors said:
Saffron, .. such wonderful positive words and thoughts.  Thank you.

Its just such a hard road to crawl out of the isolation at times.

I know--I've been there before and I'll be there again. The next time I feel myself in that pit of isolation, rejectedness and pain, I'm going to make the choice to love myself like a loyal best friend
--unconditionally--and be extra kind to those bruised parts of my heart. Then, when I'm feeling strong enough, I'll look for those things that affirm and enliven me--those things are different for each of us--and feel gratitude for the beauty and sweetness that is there alongside the difficulty...

Best wishes as we journey together and apart,
Saffron

Latest posts

Back