I'm all worn out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 135067

Reaction score
Trying to get things done but nothing works like it used to.

I'm sitting at my computer trying to design a series of patents and my mind just won't move forward. I woke up too early. Working in the shop would wake the others.

I was thinking I want to be a little kid again. I want to go to my room, lock the door and shut out the whole world.

There was a serenity in that. The one space among all space where you could let go and ingnore everything outside your door. It doesn't seem to work as an adult.

I remember when my biggest problem was how I might put my arm around Toni McConnell. She likely wouldn't have minded, but at 12 years old it's hard to judge those things. Accomplishment meant getting away with sneaking into the movies. Tomorrow was tomorrow so why worry about it.

No one warned me that being a grownup would be hard.

I finally did get a little bit done. The project is going slow... eh, because I've gotten pretty slow. And there is the usual dramas unfolding in the household to distract. I try to pretend no one else is here. It doesn't matter how hard I close my eyes they are always still here when I open them. Funny that.

I can't do nothing. I have tried to take days off and do nothing to give me time to recoup. Never works. I might not work on the current headache project but I'll always find something else that needs to be done.

Cheer up Jesseeee :)
I'm the same, I'm always reminiscing of childhood.. better times. It's the Holidays.... try and make your bedroom/living room as cozy as possible. That really does put me in a more pleasant mood.. ♥️
My space is about to get a complete overhaul. I'll see how much I can cozy it up.

Cheer up Jesseeee :)
I'm the same, I'm always reminiscing of childhood.. better times. It's the Holidays.... try and make your bedroom/living room as cozy as possible. That really does put me in a more pleasant mood.. ♥️

Okay... so here it is the median week between Christmas and New Year and I have yet to get my room cozied.

I built a bench for the commandant wife. She wanted the bench last summer but I was busy, so I thought as a Christmas gift, but it took an unexpected 10 days. I'm not really set up for large wood projects. I built her kitchen outside in summer. Building a bench in the snow is a bit impractical. It's not even finished yet, but by late Christmas Eve I'd gotten it to where it looked finished.

She knew I was working on something that I was keeping from her. She's smart enough to figure out it was the bench. But she didn't see it until Christmas morning. Now I know precisely what isn't right with it.

I got a new computer... Well, not new. I've not had a new computer since 1999. I get the hand-me-downs. My son got the new computer. His things are photography and cinematography. He built a new editing computer. He used all his old parts to scrap together a computer for me. It's better than my old one. It was done two weeks ago but I was involved in the bench. I worked two days cleaning drives and installing programs when I found it was only registering half the RAM. It took yet another day to find that the first RAM slot pair was bad. All good now.

Monster case. It won't fit where the old 'puter was. I sorta have to build the new desk around it. But it holds all my external drives internally. Remember Jurassic Park where Mr Arnold swipes his arm over Nedry's desk? "Look at this mess!" Well, that's my desk. The cozy that I'm building is to contain the mess with shelving and cabinets so it doesn't overtake the neighborhood like The Blob.

So, two wood projects. My shop is small. I have to stuff away machines I'm not using and drag out those I need. It makes sense to do them both while the tools are out. There is a workbench, but working with full plywood sheets really needs a table... which there is no room for. Cutting the panels is a balancing act.

I'm hoping to get all done by New Years. Then I'll get back to the project that might earn me a little money.

I bought a tiny computer meant to run windows 10. But, I HATE windows 10. It is slow and a lot of my software will not run on it. So, I wanted to put windows 7 on it. I got it going. But, as soon as I got to the installation menu the mouse/keyboard didn't work. Post windows 7 computers use USB3 controllers for all the USB ports including the USB2 ports. But, windows 7 doesn't have USB3 support. This computer doesn't have a PS2 port for an old fashion keyboard and mouse either. You have to use a USB keyboard/mouse. VERY FRUSTRATING.

So, in the end after trying many things that didn't work, I had to "slipstream" the USB3 driver support onto a windows 7 installation disk. Then I could use my USB keyboard/mouse and install all my software. I also had to scour the Internet to find the right drivers for the hardware the computer has that will work with windows 7. It took several hours. But, I finally found and installed what I needed. :)

I really like using newer computers with older operating systems because they are very fast. I installed a ton of ram and a large fast SSD. A fresh install of windows 10 took 5 - 6 minutes to load. Now, with the same computer, windows 7 takes about 15 seconds to load.

It'll end up taking about three days to load up all the software I've got and getting it all working properly. Then I'll backup the partition. So, if anything ever happens I can easily re-clone the current drive or another drive.

But, it's all rather exhausting.

Last edited:
I bought a refurb desktop computer on Amazon. Win10, flash HD equipped with HDMI 🖥 monitor, keyboard ⌨ mouse 🖱 for $300. Supports dual monitor so added my older DVI 🖥 monitor to have a snazzy dual display system.

Flash drive so much more efficient than the disc drives.

Last edited:
I bought a tiny computer meant to run windows 10. But, I HATE windows 10. It is slow and a lot of my software will not run on it. So, I wanted to put windows 7 on it. I got it going. But, as soon as I got to the installation menu the mouse/keyboard didn't work. Post windows 7 computers use USB3 controllers for all the USB ports including the USB2 ports. But, windows 7 doesn't have USB3 support. This computer doesn't have a PS2 port for an old fashion keyboard and mouse either. You have to use a USB keyboard/mouse. VERY FRUSTRATING.
There is a big difference between Win7 and Win10 due to how the core OS functions. I would expect lot of complications in doing a downgrade 🤔 kudos to you on getting Win7 working. Curious did you format HD and start from scratch or do write over?
I have little patience nowdays in doing my own system upgrades....

So, in the end after trying many things that didn't work, I had to "slipstream" the USB3 driver support onto a windows 7 installation disk. Then I could use my USB keyboard/mouse and install all my software. I also had to scour the Internet to find the right drivers for the hardware the computer has that will work with windows 7. It took several hours. But, I finally found and installed what I needed. :)

I really like using newer computers with older operating systems because they are very fast. I installed a ton of ram and a large fast SSD. A fresh install of windows 10 took 5 - 6 minutes to load. Now, with the same computer, windows 7 takes about 15 seconds to load.

It'll end up taking about three days to load up all the software I've got and getting it all working properly. Then I'll backup the partition. So, if anything ever happens I can easily re-clone the current drive or another drive.

But, it's all rather exhausting.
It's pathetic how a company as wealthy as Microsoft has to force a new OS on us poor simple users.

I tried to put XP on a modern unit. They literally wrote XP out of the kernel. Win 7 went on that system. I got another computer with Win10 on it. Win 10 does not play nice with Win 7.

I'm going to lose my hacker card for this but I upgraded everything to Win 10. I have a simple network of three computers that rely on solid communication. Everything is shared across all three. Mixing operating systems doesn't worked well any more.

I tore my entire system apart today and modified the old desk. It was faster than building a new one. I have the new computer set up (hence my presence). The others will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm beat.

I'm going to lose my hacker card for this but I upgraded everything to Win 10. I have a simple network of three computers that rely on solid communication. Everything is shared across all three. Mixing operating systems doesn't worked well any more.
Traitor!!!! Ha! ha!
Yeah, mixed windows operating system do not like to share files. The first time I came across that I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I got everything on my redone computer working EXCEPT for the VPN, which should be a piece of cake. But, today I spent about 5 hours trying to get it to work and failed. It simply will not communicate with the network TAP adapter it created. I uninstalled the adapter, completely deleted it, used other drivers for it, I set it up to always be connected, and lots of other things. But, the VPN software just will not communicate with the network TAP adapter no matter what I do. It's a really odd problem that I did see coming. Oh well more wasted hours ahead. ha! ha!

Latest posts

Back