Insomnia UPDATE

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadGuy

Reaction score
I am sure I am not the only person around here that doesn't sleep well
I get less than 4 hrs of restful sleep, some times closer to 2 ... I never dream
I have tried sleep aids(over the counter) ...BUT then I feel like I am dragging a Buick with me till noon the next day ..worse than my normal 4 or less hrs

I have recognized it turns me into a bear and my fuse for B.S gets REALLY short if I have to many 2 hr nights ...I am really good at crushing that monster before it gets out but people still fear me because I cant hold in the glare

My DR is sending me for a sleep study this Tuesday night
Has anyone else done a sleep study for other reasons than sleep apnea ?
Curious if anything positive came out of it

I suffer terribly with insomnia. I am often up for more than 24 hours and occasionally for 48+. I very rarely have uninterrupted sleep and I often toss and turn for hours before deciding to just get up again.

I've tried a few over the counter medicines and I tried making my bedroom more 'peaceful', turning off blue LED based lights and gadgets an hour before going to bed, blocking out all natural light etc. It did get slightly better for a while after that, but it's still nowhere approaching normality. In the end, I've just kind of learned to live with it... even if it does turn me into a crotchety old man ;)

I haven't had a sleep study done, but I have a family member who did and it helped to identify some of the underlying issues. I can't tell you whether it's cured her completely, but I haven't seen her complaining about lack of sleep since...

Body was hurting last night so I took a couple Advil before bed ...I actually had a dream ...don't remember it but remember waking up thinking wtf lol

Well I get to get hooked up with wires in a couple hours like Frankenstein
I will see what they say

What are you guys eating? Since about 2002 I have been relatively low carb. I try to keep it 70gs or under. As an experiment recently I went much higher carb and tried eating carbs later (closer to bed). I was stupefied. Started sleeping like a baby. I mean I usually wake up at 1 AM or so. Not when I was on high carb. The only problem is it is hard to eat like that all the time. Maybe tonight grab an OJ right before bed.

If that doesn't work I also have a prescription for Ativan. I find it amazing to help me get to sleep and I am not at all addicted to it. I might be dependent on it but I recently went about 6 months without it and actually HAD to get it refilled because I started a diet (which always makes me have trouble sleeping).

at least insomniacs get to watch things like this:
[video=youtube]

sorry, off topic :) had a sleep study done when in secondary school, apparently my circadian rhythm was not right, but giving up trying to get up early in the morning solved most of my sleep problems, sleep very regularly and soundly only later
sugar also messes up my sleep, and too much coffee

So it was interesting LOL
I felt a lot like a test rat
I slept better than expected at the clinic regardless of the noise from staff
Dude sneezed crazy loud right outside the door ...dropped something on the floor and some other things you would think they would not do around people with sleep issues
There was a point in the night that I couldnt resist checking my watch to see what time it was ...I figured if I laid there very long I was just going to get up and leave
It was pretty funny because they woke me up around the same time I normally get up for work ...I think waiting to be disconnected rather than hitting the ground running caused the rest of my day to drag more than normal
I have a follow up in about 2 weeks ...see what they say

UPDATE
I had my sleep study follow up tonight

mild sleep apnea ...I I gasped for air 63 times that night... fresia ME

I was given 3 options to deal with it

lose more weight ...I am trying
A night guard ...he said because of my tongue statistically it wont work
Sleep mask and machine ...fresia fresia fresia fresia fresia

I am going to do a six week trial on a CPAP Machine and another sleep study in a month
Does life get any better ?

Hey B,
That's good news that you know the cause of your sleep issues and there's a solution.

63 gasps for air during the night - that doesn't sound like a mild problem to me. If you were in bed for 8 hours, you're gasping for air about every 7 minutes. That doesn't sound good. You might already know that sleep apnea can cause serious health problems, not just trouble with getting restful sleep.

I don't have sleep apnea but I have a child and when she was a newborn, it was days, weeks and months on end with little sleep. When she (and I) was finally able to sleep through the night, it was like the heavens parted and could hear the angels singing, I was a whole new person after that lol.

A few good nights of sleep and you'll be a whole new BadGuy.
Good luck!

-Teresa

It's (sort of) good news, since the insomnia isn't being caused by anxiety there are solutions, if not particularly appealing ones.

SofiasMami said:
Hey B,
That's good news that you know the cause of your sleep issues and there's a solution.

63 gasps for air during the night - that doesn't sound like a mild problem to me. If you were in bed for 8 hours, you're gasping for air about every 7 minutes. That doesn't sound good. You might already know that sleep apnea can cause serious health problems, not just trouble with getting restful sleep.

I don't have sleep apnea but I have a child and when she was a newborn, it was days, weeks and months on end with little sleep. When she (and I) was finally able to sleep through the night, it was like the heavens parted and could hear the angels singing, I was a whole new person after that lol.

A few good nights of sleep and you'll be a whole new BadGuy.
Good luck!

-Teresa

embracing it a little
it was 63 times in less than 7hrs so yeah too often IMO also
I hope for the heavens effect ..I dont remember sleeping well ever
I should be on the machine as soon as next tuesday

Update

The machine is a PIA lol
I have stepped up physical activity over the summer and it is helping
My brain doesn't seem like it's in overdrive at night so if I do wake up I usually go back to seep pretty mu h right away

Latest posts

Back