IRC Chat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dissident

Reaction score
Joining is relatively simple. It only takes three steps:
  1. First you need a client. I suggest using something like ChatZilla for Firefox users or XChat. If you use Opera, just navigate to the server address.
  2. Connect to the Freenode IRC server. If your client doesn't come preloaded with the URL for freenode it is irc://irc.freenode.net.
  3. Join the channel #alonelylife.

Some commands to help you out:
  • Change your username: /nick <name>
  • Initiate a private conversation: /msg <user> <message>
  • Register your username: /ns register <password> <email>
  • Sign in with your username: /ns identify <password>

It's also possible to get pidgin for use with IRC.

pidgin.im

Come along people. This is a very nice initiative by dissident.

Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #alonelylife

Let me know how that goes, I cba looking for myself :D

I don't think i'd be attracted to a chatroom without avatars. Every time I go into an IRC chatroom I get bored because of this. I need online faces to look at, not just words...otherwise I will feel very emotionally disconnected from people.

It's ad-infested, it's bloated, it doesn't work on mobile devices, it's plagued with connection problems, and it just looks silly. And IRC isn't hard. :p

Dissident said:
It's ad-infested, it's bloated, it doesn't work on mobile devices, it's plagued with connection problems, and it just looks silly. And IRC isn't hard. :p

I never really had problems with it like that. I have a crappy 3MB connection too. I use ad-blocker with Chrome, so I don't get any of the ads. What do you mean bloated and silly looking? Because of the design?

I'm fine with xat. The emoticons and avatars etc, they do make for more engaging communication. (Even if it is kinda silly)

But.. I also support having an IRC chatroom. Some will prefer that, and it's nice to reach out to more people.

Jocsaint said:
Sounds rather complicated. Why can't people just use the main chat?

Haha, I don't know why but this made me laugh. :D

I would really love to chat on IRC - I will be there if anyone else joins, say hi :)
(I can't run xat because I don't have flash, etc.)

I'm banned from chat as far as I remember, lol. So good luck finding a client to fix that :D