Is it possible to be loved for who you are?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have someone I will always love no matter what. I don't think such things are very common though.

ladyforsaken said:
TheRealCallie said:
Amthorn said:
Think about this, if someone were to rob you, attacked you, hurt someone you care about, would you still love them? There are always conditions.
Yes, I would and I do, because it's happened to me and no, I won't explain. My love IS unconditional.

I gotta say I'm with Callie on this one. I have been hurt, but I still love them anyway. Love can be unconditional.

TheRealCallie said:
Once I love someone, it's forever, regardless of the circumstances surrounding what's going on. Maybe I'm just an exception to the rule, I don't know.

TheRealCallie said:
Personally, I hate no one. That emotion requires too much energy and it's a waste of time. Hate is an overused word that has really lost it's meaning, IMO.

ladyforsaken said:
I have been hurt, but I still love them anyway. Love can be unconditional.

^ Same here.

I think people confuse "love" with "having a relationship" when this subject comes up. There are conditions to being in a relationship with someone, but love can be unconditional.

SophiaGrace, what I'm hearing is that you've accepted depression to be a part of your identity for the foreseeable future, and you're asking is it possible to expect someone to love you unconditionally, your depression being part of the package......is that right?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is yeah it's possible but don't realistically expect a lot of takers for you to pick and choose from.

If you accept your own depression, you might as well accept that not many people find depression to be very attractive.

And here's a sub-text: if you find someone who loves you, depression included, are you quite sure that you want to accept them? I'd be worried that you're opening yourself to an exploitive person.

Have you seen the "requirements" for social success or even the advice that's given... ?

Don't let on that you're lonely, don't let on that you're sad, don't let on that you're different, don't be too hot, don't be too cold, don't be too weird, don't be too plain, don't be too poor, don't be too successful, don't be too serious, don't be too silly... if someone likes you anyway, they're messed up people who are probably trying to exploit you.

I am not a misanthrope. Humans already hate humanity as a group more than I ever possibly could as an individual. It's a redundant word, but it doesn't apply to me.

The few people I'm close to have their flaws... but I don't love them any the less for it and wouldn't advise for them to hide themselves around me. It would **** near break my heart to see their unique markings as individuals fade, or to feel that there's something fundamentally wrong with and unlovable about them simply because they aren't born and don't live as perfect, cut-out figures of a human. To feel that they can only be cared for if they cover up human nature with a performance at all times, because what they really are is ugly by humanity's own ugly standards.

The only thing someone not afflicted with this disease of the soul has is pride, pride in the fact that they know better and love deeper.

A lot of us would like to be loved for whom we are. IMO it is not very likely to be loved for who you are in every way.

My personal experience...I know that I can not be loved for whom I am. It has been nurtured into me with a step father who with held love and attention if the boat was rocked at all. In a sick way, I would have rather been hit than have love withheld from me. My mother is a very performance base person in her relations.

I have tried to overcome this for most of my life but I remain dysfunctional in this aspect and I loathe myself for it. These days I tend to be just me at the cost of being alone.

Good Luck Op...I hope you find the love you seek

Alone By Faults said:
My personal experience...I know that I can not be loved for whom I am. It has been nurtured into me with a step father who with held love and attention if the boat was rocked at all.

It's hard to get over something like that happening to you, but not impossible. Your stepfather was wrong for doing that and you shouldn't base anything on him or what he did.
You CAN be loved for exactly who you are, you just have to find the right people.

Alone By Faults said:
In a sick way, I would have rather been hit than have love withheld from me.

It's not really sick at all to think that. Physical pain heals MUST more quickly than emotional pain. It's easier to deal with physical pain, at least for me. I would choose physical over emotional too.

idk, but i love others for who they are, and all my friends who know me know i'm not fake, and love me for the way i am.

differentlonelygirl said:
idk, but i love others for who they are, and all my friends who know me know i'm not fake, and love me for the way i am. by friends i mean like the 5 people in my whole life. so i mean you can always get 5 people to enjoy your existence.

Latest posts

Back