Its Going To Be A Long Winter

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colette

Reaction score
The weather today in NY was rainy, cold, and dark. I could feel the sadness hitting me and it made me think of how the winter will be.

Even if I'm busy and with people I will still be affected by the weather. When the weather gets bad and the roads get emptier and things slow down I get the blues. I believe I have S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

This coming fall will be extra hard because of all the recent changes in my life but I am going to try my hardest to do what I've been doing, which is keep focused on myself and on the positive things in my life.

Colette said:
The weather today in NY was rainy, cold, and dark. I could feel the sadness hitting me and it made me think of how the winter will be.

Even if I'm busy and with people I will still be affected by the weather. When the weather gets bad and the roads get emptier and things slow down I get the blues. I believe I have S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder).

This coming fall will be extra hard because of all the recent changes in my life but I am going to try my hardest to do what I've been doing, which is keep focused on myself and on the positive things in my life.

Sorry to get off topic but don't know if you are aware of it but many antidepressants have been very effective in treating SAD. Drugs such as fluoxetine and sertraline both have been very effective and since are generic are pretty cheap to buy. It is also a good idea to get some kind of therapy for SAD because if I remeber right I think either 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 people with SAD develop bipolar disorder.

Josh said:
Colette said:

Sorry to get off topic but don't know if you are aware of it but many antidepressants have been very effective in treating SAD. Drugs such as fluoxetine and sertraline both have been very effective and since are generic are pretty cheap to buy. It is also a good idea to get some kind of therapy for SAD because if I remeber right I think either 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 people with SAD develop bipolar disorder.

Thanks Josh. I'm already on anti-depressants and it doesn't help. I think its something that is unavoidable for some people.

Colette said:
Josh said:
Colette said:

Thanks Josh. I'm already on anti-depressants and it doesn't help. I think its something that is unavoidable for some people.

If you don't mind are you on either of those two for that also if there not working this is something you, your doctor and possibly psychologist should look into possibly changing your drugs then. I only say this because I have quite a bit of experince in this field I have been working in a State mental hospital for a while now and have seen a lot of people helped through proper medication often times it just takes some time to get the combo right.

Colette,
I agree, winter can be depressing. Something about the short days, the lack of sunshine that used to bring me down big-time. So I understand.. Depression is a tough one to over-come.

Queen Cleocatra said:
Colette,
I agree, winter can be depressing. Something about the short days, the lack of sunshine that used to bring me down big-time. So I understand.. Depression is a tough one to over-come.

Yes. I've come to terms with my depression. There is no magic pill, though I am on medication, and I a have a responsiblity to take care of my mental health. I take the good days and bad as they come.

Your username name is cute. How many cats do you have? I have three boys.

Colette,

Taking the good days and the bad as they come is what I do too. I rejoice for the good days, let the bad days fade to black..

Ah, you're the first person that's made a comment about my user-name! I was wondering if anyone would. :rolleyes: I have 2 cats. One is a Maine Coon Cat that weighs in at a mere 19lbs! :p The other, I adopted when my elderly neighbor passed away and no one wanted him. :(

What ages are your boys?

Queen Cleocatra said:
Colette,

Taking the good days and the bad as they come is what I do too. I rejoice for the good days, let the bad days fade to black..

Ah, you're the first person that's made a comment about my user-name! I was wondering if anyone would. :rolleyes: I have 2 cats. One is a Maine Coon Cat that weighs in at a mere 19lbs! :p The other, I adopted when my elderly neighbor passed away and no one wanted him. :(

What ages are your boys?

I'm not sure because they are all rescues. The vet believes Tiberius may be about 9, Sacha about 3 or 4, and Toulouse is about 3 years old.

Colette,

Both of my boys are rescues as well. The Maine Coon Cat I found wandering around our back yard, half starved and feral. But you'd never know it now. He's happy and sassy! I'm not sure of his age either. The vet thought he was about 18 months when I found him. And that was about 2 years ago. My other kitty is 9.

By the way, GREAT names for your cats!

Queen Cleocatra said:
Colette,

Both of my boys are rescues as well. The Maine Coon Cat I found wandering around our back yard, half starved and feral. But you'd never know it now. He's happy and sassy! I'm not sure of his age either. The vet thought he was about 18 months when I found him. And that was about 2 years ago. My other kitty is 9.

By the way, GREAT names for your cats!

Thanks. My sister says they are all named appropriately. Tiberius can be a bit of a grouch, Sacha looks like a sad Russian poet, and Toulouse looks he jumped out of French painting.

Do you have your boys on Catster? http://www.catster.com

Aww! I love cats as well. I have two cats but they both don't really like me. :(

I don't really like winter etiher, its too cold. Maybe you could try some winter activities like leisure skating. Although it would be more enjoyable with someone else.

BrokenDreams said:
Aww! I love cats as well. I have two cats but they both don't really like me. :(

I don't really like winter etiher, its too cold. Maybe you could try some winter activities like leisure skating. Although it would be more enjoyable with someone else.

Don't misunderstand me. I love the fall and winter. What I don't like are the "side effects" I get from it. :p

Colette,

Cats really are so amazing, aren't they? Mine are so intuitive, it's almost spooky.:)
Are your bozy innies or outies? Mine are innies. I can't bear the thought of them wandering around outside by themselves. Too many dangers out there for felines; cars, dogs, etc..
No, I haven't got my boyz on Catster. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the info.

Colette,

Cats really are just so amazing! Mine are so intuitive, it's almost spooky. :rolleyes:But I love them to death, and I don't know what I'd do without them.

Funny you should mention Catster, since I just found out about the site the other day.. It's so cool! Are your boyz on Catster as well?

Queen Cleocatra said:
Colette,

Cats really are just so amazing! Mine are so intuitive, it's almost spooky. :rolleyes:But I love them to death, and I don't know what I'd do without them.

Funny you should mention Catster, since I just found out about the site the other day.. It's so cool! Are your boyz on Catster as well?

Yes. http://www.catster.com/cats/236963/in/stroll/

Colette,

I'll take at your boyz as soon as I can.. I'm currently redoing my kitties bios.. :rolleyes: They just weren't that thrilled with what I wrote about them.. lol

Queen Cleocatra said:
Colette,

I'll take at your boyz as soon as I can.. I'm currently redoing my kitties bios.. :rolleyes: They just weren't that thrilled with what I wrote about them.. lol

Did you notice that cats are aware that you're taking pictures of them so they stop whatever cute thing they were doing?

Colette,

Oh absolutely! You have to use the element of surprise on them when snapping a photo. My one cat, Boo is terrible about this. He'll just flop over and hide his face from me. So I usually end up getting some weird, totally blurry photo. But Friendly is another story. I think he likes to have his photo taken sometimes. It depends though, if he's having a bad-fur day he's less likely to pose.. :)

Colette said:

OMG... me too! When October comes my life ends! I live in CT so I now what it's like I have S.A.D too. I 've had a really hard time for the last 5 years or so. It seems like I have this horrible feeling that somthing really bad is going to happen. It's dread. I don't start feeling better untill May when the leaves on the trees come back. Summer is soo short in the North East. When the leavesand fall from the trees it's as if a major part of me dies. I have wanted to move to Virgina or somthing to make my S.A.D. better for some time now. There is nothing and no one or nothing keeping me here in CT anyways we should keep in contact. I 'm going to school for billing and coding now so I'll have to wait till it's over next year but afterthat my S.A.D. is that bad I really should leave the North East for the Equator!!!

forsakenfornow said:
Colette said:

OMG... me too! When October comes my life ends! I live in CT so I now what it's like I have S.A.D too. I 've had a really hard time for the last 5 years or so. It seems like I have this horrible feeling that somthing really bad is going to happen. It's dread. I don't start feeling better untill May when the leaves on the trees come back. Summer is soo short in the North East. When the leavesand fall from the trees it's as if a major part of me dies. I have wanted to move to Virgina or somthing to make my S.A.D. better for some time now. There is nothing and no one or nothing keeping me here in CT anyways we should keep in contact. I 'm going to school for billing and coding now so I'll have to wait till it's over next year but afterthat my S.A.D. is that bad I really should leave the North East for the Equator!!!

I can relate 100%. The moment the weather gets a little pleasant the bud start budding I'm cheerier.

Latest posts

Back