Job agency blues

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman55

Reaction score
A short disclaimer: yes I need to fix myself and so on, I'll admit it up front, so in return I ask for no "tough love" posts please. A simple request eh? (Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated, I think is the idea here.)

Anyway so it's been a while since I worked. I've never used a job agency before so I was thinking, maybe that could help pull me out of this rut, because I don't advocate well for myself. I should also note that I have low skills so I expect a low-paying job will be my next one--so be it, then.

So I put this question "I haven't worked for a long time, will a job agency help?" on Yahoo Answers, with some details summarizing the social difficulties and the attention problem I have. I received a couple maybes, but then this one:

Someone said:
Generally, no.

Job agencies (including the ones which market themselves to people with disabilities) hang out their shingle only for the all-mighty buck.

They're in it for themselves--and you are merely an 'inter-changeable part' in a revolving door of applicants. I've actually had more luck and even landed better job positions when just looking on my own. I am not being filtered through anybody else and/or their perception of me.

A temp agency does not check to see if their job is 'transit accessible'. They just announce
they have an opening available. If you cannot get to it, even because of disability, you are considered unreliable. You are making money for the temp agency, not yourself if working through a temporary agency.

They also do not check to see if the equipment at your job site is even functional/safe to use. You are
considered to have lied about your job skills.

You are not given orientation where things are in the job site--it's figure things out as fast as you can. When you're hired directly is when you get the more through training. The company is investing time and resources into you vs assuming the temp agency already trained you (which they won't).

And remembering everything all at once. People who are permanent employees do not talk with you.
So the days go by very slowly--assuming you are there for several days.

If you 'tell problems' to the agency, this becomes a reason why some places will not even send you
out/send you out again. They are looking for easy money and quick placement. They are trying to
assure the client that assignments will be completed according to contract. Not that you have a lot of issues. People don't hire because they want somebody with a lot of issues.

You are much better applying directly to ads yourself. You don't get screened out of a potential fit and paycheck. If you want a job, you have to do the work yourself. It's the only actual way.

I'd also recommend doing volunteer work/internships to get contacts and skills. It also can provide ideas of what workplaces are like re: expectations.

Okay, so this looks like someone who has "been there done that" and knows a lot more than I do. If they are to be believed, then it looks like a job agency is indeed a poor idea for me, at least. For someone who hasn't been in the mix for a while, can you imagine being thrown into an ill-suited job just because that was all they could find; and if you declined their suggestion, then it seems like the agency will drop you like a stone because you're not being profitable...?

Can someone else offer a different perspective on this?

Thanks,
Craven M.

Sadly no, they quickly fixed me up with interviews for 2 jobs, as a door to door salesman... information they ofcourse could not share until i was at the interview so that was nice and awkward.

after I "failed" to get both they didn't contact me again for two years.

Pick a job that you think would be well suited to you and your personality and that's within your reach and limitations (education, experience, etc.) Then just go there and apply for it. The number one thing people do too quickly is give up. My husband wanted in a certain place that had decent pay for our area. They weren't hiring just anyone, let's say. Of course he was denied. What did he do? He called every single week for a year. He talked to other people who worked there and asked for their help. He was persistent. As soon as his application expired he'd go fill out another one right away. Basically he drove them crazy lol. He kept telling them how much he wanted to work there and how much he'd appreciate a chance to get in there and how hard he would work for them. It paid off. He's worked there for nearly ten years now.

I can only speak from inside the UK, but from what I've experienced they simply offer you all kinds of work, unless you get yourself where they're mostly based in one company. Initially it's likely that they'll offer you work for all over the place... especially if you're doing industrial jobs. Having said this if you're a good worker and always turn in and do the job well, then you might get called into a certain place regularly, and ultimately maybe even offered a permanent contract.

Yes there are a lot of people who work for them, but they're all just like you who want to work. You can't expect an agency to just hire you, but if you're a good worker who always turns in then you'll get known, and this could lead to more work and even a permanent contract somewhere.

There's a lot of people who moan about job agencies and complain that they get messed about, but unfortunately this is always the way it is when you first start and people don't understand how they work or can't be bothered. Also, just because you're working for an agency doesn't mean you can't still apply for jobs yourself.

It comes down to how much you want to earn money, the work is there but it's weather you want to deal with the drawbacks that comes with the agency.

9006 said:
I can only speak from inside the UK, but from what I've experienced they simply offer you all kinds of work, unless you get yourself where they're mostly based in one company. Initially it's likely that they'll offer you work for all over the place... especially if you're doing industrial jobs. Having said this if you're a good worker and always turn in and do the job well, then you might get called into a certain place regularly, and ultimately maybe even offered a permanent contract.

Yes there are a lot of people who work for them, but they're all just like you who want to work. You can't expect an agency to just hire you, but if you're a good worker who always turns in then you'll get known, and this could lead to more work and even a permanent contract somewhere.

There's a lot of people who moan about job agencies and complain that they get messed about, but unfortunately this is always the way it is when you first start and people don't understand how they work or can't be bothered. Also, just because you're working for an agency doesn't mean you can't still apply for jobs yourself.

It comes down to how much you want to earn money, the work is there but it's weather you want to deal with the drawbacks that comes with the agency.

Is there any way you can put this in simpler terms? Because I really know nothing about job agencies. I also learn things better when people explain it to me, rather than just going on to some webpage with 100 pages of information, and I can't process any of it.

I don't know what you mean by "getting called into some place regularly." Also, are all jobs offered by a job agency going to be temp jobs?

I don't know much about agencies.. but I would think that it also depends on luck maybe? I don't know.. I seem to hear different outcomes from different people who sign up for agencies.. some seem to have better luck than the other although they are of similar status / background.

Maybe you can gather information and all.. but I think the best is really to give it a shot and see where it takes you. Whether agency will help your situation or not.. who knows until you try?

I would say look into job agencies but also try to do it on your own. If you can try to work on a resume and find someone willing to look at it(preferably a professional). Yes I do need to take my own advice also. :)Anyway, good luck batman!

Mike413 said:
I would say look into job agencies but also try to do it on your own. If you can try to work on a resume and find someone willing to look at it(preferably a professional). Yes I do need to take my own advice also. :)Anyway, good luck batman!

If I'm going to be honest, then I barely have a resume.

Latest posts

Back