JRPGS or RPGS in general

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zetz

Reaction score
Hey, anyone into RPGs or more specifically JRPGS, one of my favourite genres wondered if anyone else was into and maybe have any good games to recommend

By JRPGs do you mean RPG with an anime style, or with turn based combat, or specifically from Japan? Would you consider MMO's and such as RPG's? And are you interested in old games or just somewhat current? And it might help to list the ones you've played so people can get a better idea of what you're looking for and avoid listing things you've already played. Also might want to mention which consoles you have.

I'll go ahead and list some stuff now though. Here's some JRPGs.
  • Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 and 4 as well as any Shin Megami games such as devil summoner/survivor.
  • Obviously Final fantasy is Popular, I'd recommend FF9 or any of the games before it (except 8, its not so great.)
  • Dragonquest is supposed to be pretty good, though I've never played any.
  • Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale. Its pretty fun game, you use characters to go through dungeons and then take what you find back to your shop to sell. The dialogue in the cut scenes is pretty bad so I always just skipped it, but I knew one guy that thought it was hilarious. There's a demo on steam btw.
  • Kingdom Hearts, if you haven't already played it. It's an action RPG with some Final Fantasy characters and a bunch of Disney characters and worlds.
  • Tales of symphonia. A solid game with instanced hack and slash combat. I've only played the first one years ago on the gamecube, but from what I remember it was pretty good.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles. I've never played it, but I've heard it's really good.
  • The Last Story. Never played it, heard it's pretty good.
  • Xenogears. An older game, never played it, but I've heard it's good.
  • Skies of Arcadia. Played this game a long time ago, but from what I remember its pretty good. It's got turn based combat and some airship battles.
  • Evolution worlds. Played it a bit a long time ago, seemed pretty good. turn based combat.
  • Baten Katos. From what I remember it was pretty good. It's got turn based combat with a card system.

If you're interested in some Japanese/anime-style MMORPGs.
-Free to play.
  • Mabinogi has been around for quite a while and there's a lot to it. It also has a bunch of outfit from various anime, I believe they were doing some sort of hatsune miku event a while ago. There's combat, crafting, and other skills such as playing music. Your character ages and there's a rebirth system.
  • Fiesta Online. Don't know much about this one, but it's free, it's got an anime look, and it's been around for quite a while.

Some Western RPGs.
  • Bastion. It's an amazing indie game, one of my favorite games of any genre. It's got a great story told by a great voice actor, great combat, a great art style, and great music.
  • The Elder scrolls. Personally Elder scrolls 4 Oblivion is my favorite, and the shivering isles expansion is amazing, the only mild flaw is the leveling system's kinda weird.
    -Elder scrolls 5 Skyrim is also really good, and if you get any of the elder scrolls games on PC there are tons of really good mods you can install for free to add a lot to the games.
    -Elder scrolls 3 Morrowind is pretty dated, I haven't played it but a lot of people say it's the best one. There have been several mods which are basically full fledged expansions and there are mods to improve the dated graphics.
  • Fallout. I've played 3 and New Vegas, they're both good solid games. Good dialogue, good combat, and a big post apocalyptic world to explore while you listen to oldies on the in game radio. If you like elder scrolls, you'll probably like this.
  • Dragon Age. I've tried it a bit but I'm not really a fan of Bioware games, maybe I just haven't given them enough of a chance. It's supposed to be a really good RPG though, and there's a ton of dialogue if you're into that.
  • Mass effect. Also by Bioware. Tons of dialogue, good reviews, I only played it a bit myself though.
  • The Witcher 2. I haven't played it yet but I've heard it's pretty great, There's also the first Witcher, but it's got somewhat dated combat and graphics.

Western MMORPGs.
-Free to Play.

• Path of Exile. It's a really great Diablo style game. It's got a huge skill tree, they have several in game events everyday (such as leveling races.), normal and hardcore leagues (hardcore meaning perma-death.), various difficulties to unlock after beating it on normal, plenty of dungeons to do after you reach max level, and a great in game economy. I would definitely recommend this game.
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic. A Bioware game, if you like the old kotor games or mass effect and star wars, then you'll probably like this. It's got full voice acting, and a lot of dialogue. You don't have to buy the game, and the full story for every class is free. You only really have to pay to unlock group things such as PvP and raiding content, and unlock things like additional races and bank tabs. If you only want to play it as a single player RPG for the story then you might enjoy it. And each class has a different story, so you could potentially spend a lot of time in this game. Wasn't really a big fan of it myself though. Also I'm not a big fan of the art style, everyone sort of looks plastic and all the character models start to look the same real quick, maybe it's just me though. I also think they put too many restrictions on F2P accounts, but if you like Bioware games it's still probably worth checking out.
  • Rift. Good solid game with versatile classes thanks to the soul system. If you picked a rogue for instance you can use a soul for archery based combat, or dual wield knives for dps, or even tank. There's also the whole rift thing. Rifts are world events, one opens and starts spawning monsters, then it's up to players to clear them out then fight a boss to close the portal. You can just jump in and start helping everyone out because the portals scale in difficulty with the number of players and everyone gets a reward based on their involvement with closing the rift. They've got Dungeons, raids, player housing, crafting, good PvP (for an MMO), and you can play the whole thing for free.
  • Spiral Knights. It's a sort of arcade style action MMO. I've actually played this quite a bit and it's pretty fun.
  • The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot. You build your own dungeon for players to raid. If they die in your dungeon you get gold, if they successfully reach your treasure room within the time limit they get some of your gold and crystals. You can place various monsters and traps in your dungeon, add rooms, alter the layout, and watch replays of other players attempts in your dungeon.
    -You also get to raid other player's dungeons with Diablo style gameplay with skills, armor, levels, etc. I played it back in beta and it was pretty fun. The only downside is upgrading things in your dungeon takes real time (as in actual hours.) unless you're willing to pay to speed it up, sort of like a facebook game. So the in game cash shop is sort of annoying, but It's still probably worth a try if it sounds like something you'd like.
  • Realm of the Mad God. It's a fast paced bullet hell game with perma-death and an old school blocky art style. It's pretty fun.

Sorry if the list isn't so great, that's just all I could think of at the moment.

DeadSun said:
[*]Obviously Final fantasy is Popular, I'd recommend FF9 or any of the games before it (except 8, its not so great.)

You lost me here hehe :p

JustSomeGal said:
DeadSun said:
[*]Obviously Final fantasy is Popular, I'd recommend FF9 or any of the games before it (except 8, its not so great.)

I guess your avatar explains that XD. I don't hate it or anything, I just thought the story wasn't that great and it felt like the combat system was a step down from 7. I do hate FF10 though.

DeadSun said:
JustSomeGal said:
DeadSun said:

I guess your avatar explains that XD. I don't hate it or anything, I just thought the story wasn't that great and it felt like the combat system was a step down from 7. I do hate FF10 though.

This list is great! I love Skyrim and Dragon Age. Will be looking into some of the others :)

Yeah i didnt mind if someone suggested something id already played lol, I love FF i think FF8 is my fav but its always been between that and 7, Persona I like all of them but i think 4 is my fav and i cant wait for persona 5 :)

Oh and Dragonquest 8 on the ps2 is great :)

My favorites are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy VI. I also like all the other Final Fantasy games up to IX (I have not played any past that point).

And I don't know if it counts, but I like Final Fantasy Tactics a lot (Tactics Ogre too).

PieBeNice said:
JRPGs are not real rpgs. Not very good.

I disagree. Have you tried Panzer Dragoon Saga? It is very good.

I do not think you should be dismissive of the entire genre.

I only came here to talk about what I like. But of course someone has to let me know that what I like is bad, even if they have never played it. It just gets tiring after awhile (and is part of the reason why I have avoided Internet discussion for over a year until now).

QuietMaskMime said:
PieBeNice said:
JRPGs are not real rpgs. Not very good.

I disagree. Have you tried Panzer Dragoon Saga? It is very good.

I do not think you should be dismissive of the entire genre.

I only came here to talk about what I like. But of course someone has to let me know that what I like is bad, even if they have never played it. It just gets tiring after awhile (and is part of the reason why I have avoided Internet discussion for over a year until now).

Interesting. Tell me more.

PieBeNice said:

It is a very good video game.

It is okay to not like things, but it is also generally a good idea to possess knowledge before making judgments about a certain topic. (In this case, actually playing the game instead of being condescending to others.)

QuietMaskMime said:
PieBeNice said:

It is a very good video game.

It is okay to not like things, but it is also generally a good idea to possess knowledge before making judgments about a certain topic. (In this case, actually playing the game instead of being condescending to others.)

Don't mind Pie. He is like that.

You're right though, it's good to try things out first before judging something. Sometimes you'd surprise yourself. It's like how I actually tried taking rollercoasters last year when I never have or ever wanted to in my entire life. It was quite cool....

And I told him to knock that kind of behaviour off before so I guess I have to remind PieBeNice to knock off the trolling.

Latest posts

Back