Just joined, might as well say hello...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O.K., well, I was browsing on Google for some kind of forum for lonely people and/or loners and I thought this one looked appropriate so... that's why I'm here.

I'm not sure where to start with the whole introduction thing as I'm not very good at those but I'll give it a go anyway. My name's Amy, I'm nineteen, and I live in the UK. I'm currently unemployed, on the dole, going to begin university this September as I suddenly decided to take a year out not long before I took my A-level exams last year (yeah, I had a sort of stress overload, followed by total burnout, and couldn't face going straight to uni) since then I've done a few gap year-y things, met some new people (though not very many), but haven't maintained any long-term contact with them so now I am effectively socially isolated and the only people I really spend time with these days are family members. Actually I was socially excluded for most of my time at grammar school, and I sought refuge in things like books and music which, although mentally and spiritually enriching, can't really replace simple human contact and companionship (unfortunately after a while I started kidding myself they could, since after feeling isolated at school for some time I just stopped trying to branch out altogether, so it's kind of my fault as well)

And yes, I am a total loser so there's no need to even say it.

To anyone who bothers to read this, many thanks.
[/font][/size]

Welcome :) What does 'on the dole' mean?

I also read all the time, though lately I do it more to pass the time than to get anything from it.

Kamya, on the dole means to be in receipt of unemployment benefit/job seekers allowance or whatever they're calling it these days. In other words she's dependant upon the state for her means of support because she's one of the millions currently without paid employment and therefore doesn't have much money (isn't life grand?)

Amy, there should be plenty of opportunity for you to interact with others once you get to Uni. It all depends on how much you're willing to put yourself out there. THAT'S the hard part. In the meantime, perhaps you should avail yourself of the opportunity to get involved in various clubs and activities while you have time. Something to get you used to going out and about. Some places have discounts for unemployed people. Check out the local library, they often have leaflets and posters about such things.

And no, being alone and having little or no social life doesn't make you a loser. It takes WAY more effort than that.

Take care and good luck *hugs*

Hey Amy,

School is not a place for lonely people. It's a traumatic environment in many ways, and I think it can be a horrible way to start life. Real life's not always so bad, and if your experience is anything like mine you might find things get a lot easier in the next few years as you have more free choice in where to place yourself and with whom to surround yourself (sorry 'bout the contorted grammar there.. well, it's past midnight : )

Hope to meet on these pages again.
Shourai.

Latest posts

Back