Just so lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friendlyheart

Reaction score
I guess i just need someone to talk to me about anything at all, i've been feeling lonely for years but today is the worst it's been during the last 6 months and i can't really handle it anymore:(:(

Hi Friendlyheart! I'm lonely too! I've only just joined here and just posting and getting some replies is helping me a lot too. What do you want to talk about?

Skye

Anything in particular you'd like to talk about? Not having anyone to talk to in real life can be depressing. I have my kids, but well, you tend to miss adult conversation.
You could always try the chatrooms as well, if you want more instantaneous responses.

Montreal Skye said:
Hi Friendlyheart! I'm lonely too! I've only just joined here and just posting and getting some replies is helping me a lot too. What do you want to talk about?

Skye

Hey Skye,

I've joined longer than a year ago but i've been mostly looking around other people's posts barely ever made my own, i think this is the second time. I'm not really sure what i'd like to talk about, just need some company i guess. Do you have anything on your mind?

Callie said:
Anything in particular you'd like to talk about? Not having anyone to talk to in real life can be depressing. I have my kids, but well, you tend to miss adult conversation.
You could always try the chatrooms as well, if you want more instantaneous responses.

I'm a little bit reserved when it comes to chat rooms since i never know what to say and never really used any.
I don't have anything in particular on my mind that i'd like to talk about just need to know there are people out there whom you can talk you know.
How was your day ?

Well, I was thinking about school actually. I was thinking that I need to put myself (force myself maybe?) into a situation where I have no choice but to be social. I'm not anti-social, but I'm definitely a loner - which makes me very lonely too. It's like a bad cycle...I'm shy around others but I yearn for that contact. Anyway, I'm really starting all over. I'm 44 years old, and have always worked in finance. I HATE money...well, I like having it, but not working in that industry...it's so cut-throat. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if I want to study geology, humanities or criminology. I've been reading a lot of crime thrillers from the library and I'm leaning towards the psychology of criminals...I do want to restart a career, but I have to admit my main motivation is to make friends and possibly meet a man I can love and who loves me back...you know have so much in common starting with our area of interest in school...I hope this subject isn't boring for you!

friendlyheart said:
Callie said:

I'm a little bit reserved when it comes to chat rooms since i never know what to say and never really used any.
I don't have anything in particular on my mind that i'd like to talk about just need to know there are people out there whom you can talk you know.
How was your day ?

Well, that's why the chatrooms here are a good option. You have a lot of people that aren't sure of what to say, so you have that advantage. And even if you just come in and listen to the chatter of other members, it would be better than nothing, right? Not pressuring you, of course, just giving you that option.

My day has been okayish so far, I suppose. Nothing exciting happening. How was yours?

Montreal Skye said:
Well, I was thinking about school actually. I was thinking that I need to put myself (force myself maybe?) into a situation where I have no choice but to be social. I'm not anti-social, but I'm definitely a loner - which makes me very lonely too. It's like a bad cycle...I'm shy around others but I yearn for that contact. Anyway, I'm really starting all over. I'm 44 years old, and have always worked in finance. I HATE money...well, I like having it, but not working in that industry...it's so cut-throat. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if I want to study geology, humanities or criminology. I've been reading a lot of crime thrillers from the library and I'm leaning towards the psychology of criminals...I do want to restart a career, but I have to admit my main motivation is to make friends and possibly meet a man I can love and who loves me back...you know have so much in common starting with our area of interest in school...I hope this subject isn't boring for you!
Not at all, i recently started studying psychology and i wanted to go into the field of forensic psychology, always been interested in juvenile criminals and i thought it would be a great career path. So far i only studied psychology going through and undergraduate course first and then i can choose to study forensic psychology as a masters degree. My point being i can't say much about studying criminal psychology yet. :p

Callie said:
friendlyheart said:
Callie said:

How was your day ?

Well, that's why the chatrooms here are a good option. You have a lot of people that aren't sure of what to say, so you have that advantage. And even if you just come in and listen to the chatter of other members, it would be better than nothing, right? Not pressuring you, of course, just giving you that option.

My day has been okayish so far, I suppose. Nothing exciting happening. How was yours?
I suppose, i might give it a try sometime in the future. How many members are usually in a chatroom?

My day was rather tiring, i study abroad and just got home for 6 weeks and had to travel all day and most of last night:p

friendlyheart said:
Not at all, i recently started studying psychology and i wanted to go into the field of forensic psychology, always been interested in juvenile criminals and i thought it would be a great career path. So far i only studied psychology going through and undergraduate course first and then i can choose to study forensic psychology as a masters degree. My point being i can't say much about studying criminal psychology yet. :p

Hee hee, neither can I!! Unless it's analyzing the plot of Michael Connelly fiction novels! When I was younger I always wanted to be a cop, but I never had the confidence. I regret that now to be honest. Forensic psychology sounds really cool. I would guess it's a profession in high demand, considering the debotchery of our society...the program I want to take starts you off on your first year with psychology, law and sociology, then you get into the meat of the criminology and have to choose one of the 3 paths to compliment it. I keep thinking about why criminals do what they do...serial killers especially...it's morbid, but really fascinating. Law is interesting too though...Juvenile criminals...that's a noble profession. Too many kids are on the wrong path in life.

friendlyheart said:
I suppose, i might give it a try sometime in the future. How many members are usually in a chatroom?

My day was rather tiring, i study abroad and just got home for 6 weeks and had to travel all day and most of last night:p

Depends on which chat room you go to. I don't go to Main Chat, so I can't tell you about that, but Chat 2 doesn't usually have a lot of people in. Usually just 5 or 6, sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the time of day.

Traveling can be extremely tiresome. lol But studying abroad sounds like it could be fun. Do you get homesick?

Montreal Skye said:
friendlyheart said:

Hee hee, neither can I!! Unless it's analyzing the plot of Michael Connelly fiction novels! When I was younger I always wanted to be a cop, but I never had the confidence. I regret that now to be honest. Forensic psychology sounds really cool. I would guess it's a profession in high demand, considering the debotchery of our society...the program I want to take starts you off on your first year with psychology, law and sociology, then you get into the meat of the criminology and have to choose one of the 3 paths to compliment it. I keep thinking about why criminals do what they do...serial killers especially...it's morbid, but really fascinating. Law is interesting too though...Juvenile criminals...that's a noble profession. Too many kids are on the wrong path in life.

The course you're thinking about sounds really great actually.
My dad is a cop and he also has a law degree that he completed when he was older and i was around sticking my nose into what he was learning and got really interested. I was considering law but i don't really see myself in any profession that comes just from law, i find it interested to study but to work in the field never attracted me enough. But i always loved listening to people and helping them and psychology combined with law and crimes seemed like the best option. I would choose juvenile criminals because i think there's the most you can do, there's the biggest achievement to help someone get back on the track while they can :)

Callie said:
friendlyheart said:

Depends on which chat room you go to. I don't go to Main Chat, so I can't tell you about that, but Chat 2 doesn't usually have a lot of people in. Usually just 5 or 6, sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the time of day.

Traveling can be extremely tiresome. lol But studying abroad sounds like it could be fun. Do you get homesick?

Okay, then i'll check out chat 2 sometime soon, thanks:)

It's nice, it was my dream to go there and study there and most probably live there afterwards as well. It's tricky..i get homesick and then i come home and when i'm home i get homesick about my place there. It's never quite the right balance, haha.

friendlyheart said:
My dad is a cop and he also has a law degree that he completed when he was older and i was around sticking my nose into what he was learning and got really interested. I was considering law but i don't really see myself in any profession that comes just from law, i find it interested to study but to work in the field never attracted me enough. But i always loved listening to people and helping them and psychology combined with law and crimes seemed like the best option. I would choose juvenile criminals because i think there's the most you can do, there's the biggest achievement to help someone get back on the track while they can :)

That's really great, very compassionate. I think that's why I hated finance so much. There was no gain...well, except making the rich richer and the poor poorer. I took that in school initially because I wanted a successful career, all I thought about was material success. That was the younger me. Now I really want to help people, understand what makes them do the things they do and hopefully make changes. I suffer mental health disorders myself, depression and anxiety, and it's clear that most criminals are lacking help in dealing with their mental health. Sure some do it simply to feed an addiction, but that in itself is all related to mental health, in my opinion that is. I live in Canada, and I have to judge that the mental health care here SUCKS. That's a tangent...

I agree with you about law. Law isn't necessarily justice is it?

The program I want to take is an honours program so it's 4 years. I guess what worries me the most is my age. Will anyone want to hire a 50 year old with no experience? I guess I should cross that bridge when I get there though. Did you finish your Bachelor's at this point?

Montreal Skye said:
friendlyheart said:

That's really great, very compassionate. I think that's why I hated finance so much. There was no gain...well, except making the rich richer and the poor poorer. I took that in school initially because I wanted a successful career, all I thought about was material success. That was the younger me. Now I really want to help people, understand what makes them do the things they do and hopefully make changes. I suffer mental health disorders myself, depression and anxiety, and it's clear that most criminals are lacking help in dealing with their mental health. Sure some do it simply to feed an addiction, but that in itself is all related to mental health, in my opinion that is. I live in Canada, and I have to judge that the mental health care here SUCKS. That's a tangent...

I agree with you about law. Law isn't necessarily justice is it?

The program I want to take is an honours program so it's 4 years. I guess what worries me the most is my age. Will anyone want to hire a 50 year old with no experience? I guess I should cross that bridge when I get there though. Did you finish your Bachelor's at this point?

I only now started my Bachelor's, i'm 20.
I guess it's harder after a certain age but i do believe that if you're passionate about what you're studying than when you go to an interview people will see that and even though you don't have experience they might give you a chance. But really, don't let that take away your enthusiasm :)

friendlyheart said:
I guess it's harder after a certain age but i do believe that if you're passionate about what you're studying than when you go to an interview people will see that and even though you don't have experience they might give you a chance. But really, don't let that take away your enthusiasm :)

Oh gosh, I wish I were 20 again! Well, yes and no. Only if I could change everything. But hindsight is perfect vision isn't it? Good for you for being in school. I think it's so important. Are there people at school who you click with? I know I'm going to be terrified my first day...just like high school again, lol...

I think you're right about age. I mean, people are not necessarily retiring at age 65 anymore. As for me, I was kind of forced to retire in 2003 after a work accident. But now that I feel stronger and have more drive, going back to school is the first step to get back into the work force. I've been bored, lonely and unemployed for nearly a decade and I can tell you I HATE IT. I was NOT meant to retire. I want to work until I'm a toothless old lady of 100 years old!! :)

Montreal Skye said:
friendlyheart said:

Oh gosh, I wish I were 20 again! Well, yes and no. Only if I could change everything. But hindsight is perfect vision isn't it? Good for you for being in school. I think it's so important. Are there people at school who you click with? I know I'm going to be terrified my first day...just like high school again, lol...

I think you're right about age. I mean, people are not necessarily retiring at age 65 anymore. As for me, I was kind of forced to retire in 2003 after a work accident. But now that I feel stronger and have more drive, going back to school is the first step to get back into the work force. I've been bored, lonely and unemployed for nearly a decade and I can tell you I HATE IT. I was NOT meant to retire. I want to work until I'm a toothless old lady of 100 years old!! :)

I really love your enthusiasm :D It's so full of posiitve vibes, which is awesome. I do believe you'll do great at your course if you decide to take it. It's not really high school all over again, i mean you can choose who to talk to, and if you don't than no one is going to say anything about you. And you'd be surprised how many people your age go back to school so you will find like minded people for sure.

friendlyheart said:
I really love your enthusiasm :D It's so full of posiitve vibes, which is awesome. I do believe you'll do great at your course if you decide to take it. It's not really high school all over again, i mean you can choose who to talk to, and if you don't than no one is going to say anything about you. And you'd be surprised how many people your age go back to school so you will find like minded people for sure.

Thank you! :) And you sound a lot better than you did when you started this thread! I hope our conversation is making you feel better. Sometimes it just takes a little contact to change perspective huh? I mean I was crying my eyes out all day yesterday but today I'm kind of feeling ok now. I'm actually knitting a scarf as I'm waiting to read new posts. I haven't picked up any knitting since last winter. It's sometimes hard to pass the time. I just started last year, and this is my first scarf attempt. (I attached a photo to the end of the post to show you)

And yes, your'e right, there are lots of adults in my age group going back to school. But you know, age is just a number. I tend to migrate towards people who share my interests and my maturity level I guess. Well, I used to, I've been alone for so long, I would think that would still be the same.

Attachments

• green scarf.jpg
    green scarf.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 216
Montreal Skye said:
friendlyheart said:

Thank you! :) And you sound a lot better than you did when you started this thread! I hope our conversation is making you feel better. Sometimes it just takes a little contact to change perspective huh? I mean I was crying my eyes out all day yesterday but today I'm kind of feeling ok now. I'm actually knitting a scarf as I'm waiting to read new posts. I haven't picked up any knitting since last winter. It's sometimes hard to pass the time. I just started last year, and this is my first scarf attempt. (I attached a photo to the end of the post to show you)

And yes, your'e right, there are lots of adults in my age group going back to school. But you know, age is just a number. I tend to migrate towards people who share my interests and my maturity level I guess. Well, I used to, I've been alone for so long, I would think that would still be the same.

I'm glad you're feeling better today, and yes it did make me feel better to be able to talk to you as well. This is what i was looking for really, someone with whom i can have a relaxed conversation about anything really but knowing they listen and i listen back.

I just love knitting, and i really like the pattern you used for your scarf. My mom is awesome at knitting and i forced her to teach me when i was 13:p Ever since i take it up every now and then. Right now i'm working on a baby sweater. I recently sold a baby blanket with crochet flowers and another sweater, i'm trying to get some extra money like this:p And it can be a lot of fun, relaxing and it just makes you feel good when you see something nice coming out of it.
Are you knitting the scarf for yourself or someone else?

friendlyheart said:
I'm glad you're feeling better today, and yes it did make me feel better to be able to talk to you as well. This is what i was looking for really, someone with whom i can have a relaxed conversation about anything really but knowing they listen and i listen back.

I just love knitting, and i really like the pattern you used for your scarf. My mom is awesome at knitting and i forced her to teach me when i was 13:p Ever since i take it up every now and then. Right now i'm working on a baby sweater. I recently sold a baby blanket with crochet flowers and another sweater, i'm trying to get some extra money like this:p And it can be a lot of fun, relaxing and it just makes you feel good when you see something nice coming out of it.

Oh cool, you love knitting too! This is the pattern I found on a blog: http://www.squidoo.com/cable_knit_scarf It's my first attempt at cabling. You're right it's very relaxing, and it passes the time well. I find when I'm bored I tend to eat mindlessly...I've lost 85 pounds over the last few years and I'm trying my best not to fall back into bad habits. I think it's a great idea to make some extra cash on the side with your talents! So you crochet too? I have a hook, but I never learned, maybe after the scarf is done. And no, sigh...I WISH I was making it for someone...like a boyfriend... but no, it's just for me! My only complaint is sore neck and shoulders if I don't take a break now and then! And I'm enjoying our conversation too! :)

Montreal Skye said:
friendlyheart said:

Oh cool, you love knitting too! This is the pattern I found on a blog: http://www.squidoo.com/cable_knit_scarf It's my first attempt at cabling. You're right it's very relaxing, and it passes the time well. I find when I'm bored I tend to eat mindlessly...I've lost 85 pounds over the last few years and I'm trying my best not to fall back into bad habits. I think it's a great idea to make some extra cash on the side with your talents! So you crochet too? I have a hook, but I never learned, maybe after the scarf is done. And no, sigh...I WISH I was making it for someone...like a boyfriend... but no, it's just for me! My only complaint is sore neck and shoulders if I don't take a break now and then! And I'm enjoying our conversation too! :)

Knitting is really great, i mean there are so many things you can do, even if just for yourself :) I do want to see the finished product when you're done, no rush though, knitting becomes nice when you feel like doing it ;)
I do some crochet, i know a crochet square, and flowers to do, i learnt it online from videos on youtube, that's how i learnt the names of the stitches as well. You can just type in anything into youtube, even for knitting and it's great help :)

I'm going to go now to bed but feel free to send me a message tomorrow or anytime you feel like it :)

Latest posts

Back