Last act of desperate man

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsino

Reaction score
I completed my first post last night and I even feel like an outcast here (because of my lack of confidence and you all seem so extroverted), so I'm just take a plunge into the deep end, I guess I'm just looking for people with the same tastes as me really, i have only met one person who was into the same things I was, but she died when I was 19, and I just haven't found anyone else who shares my little bubble

I'm 25, from England studying Psychology, I enjoy watching old movies, although I don't own a TV, I'm very passionate about music who include

Andrew Bird
Cathy Davey
Ben Folds
Devics
Flaming Lips
Ane Brun
Elliott Smith
Emily Jane White
Kaki King
Nick Drake
Rufus Wainwright
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco
The Decemberists

(without it I don't know if I would be here now), I also love to daydream, I love poetry and reading I always have about 4 books on me at all times, my favourite book is 'to kill a mocking bird' as it was the first novel I was given and read, I love art and often just sit in MIMA (www.visitmima.com/) for hours just taking in all the atmosphere, I love to travel and I used to go everywhere in my little car by myself until my first seizure and I got my license taken away from me, I'm addicted to caffeine and Chai Latte's and love to people watch when I frequent my local coffee house, I like to go out but I hate clubs and pubs, I love to sit and watch the sea and I'm learning photography and the piano. I'm not a big talker I just love to listen to peoples stories; I guess that's why I took Psychology in the first place!

(I'm stopping now because I sound more and more like a giant among clichés)

I can't think of anything more but if you want to ask me something or talk or even see a little bit of me in you, I always welcome new views and opinions...well... thanks for reading

Orsino

(I guess my e-mail would be handy
[email protected])

Gothmother said:
Hi!
What part of England you from?
;)

I'm currently studying up north near Durham and Middlesbrough, but I swear I don't have a Geordie accent :rolleyes:, where about are you from?

Orsino said:
...I even feel like an outcast here (because of my lack of confidence and you all seem so extroverted)...

You aren't alone in that. I think some of the people may come across as being more extroverted here then they really are.

Do you have any favorite old movies or genres? I am not sure what qualifies as an "old movie" for you. I have heard some people refer to a movie that is two years old as an "old movie". I tend to think of movies from the 50's and earlier when i think of old movies.

hullooo
im also new here, i read loads of the posts but i never have the guts to reply to most of them because i don't know any of them :p i love loads of the stuff you already wrote... poetry, art, day dreaming, writing, photography... (and a bunch of other stuff :p)

lol gosh i have nothing to say or ask now.

i'll come back after thinking about it lol...

Orsino said:
Gothmother said:
Hi!
What part of England you from?
;)

I'm currently studying up north near Durham and Middlesbrough, but I swear I don't have a Geordie accent :rolleyes:, where about are you from?

lol nowt wrong in that!
Im from down south in devon, where most folks sound like Justin lee collins(Bristolians) or like farmer palmer who says Git Orff My lannnnd!

Hello Orsino :) We share a few things. I like old movies too and when I had cable would watch Turner classics. Isn't it funny how a lot of that "old thinking" is expressed in them? The ideas of those times seem so strange now a days. I like peoples stories too. I could listen for hours :) Welcome, BTW

Orsino said:
I completed my first post last night and I even feel like an outcast here (because of my lack of confidence and you all seem so extroverted), so I'm just take a plunge into the deep end, I guess I'm just looking for people with the same tastes as me really, i have only met one person who was into the same things I was, but she died when I was 19, and I just haven't found anyone else who shares my little bubble

I'm 25, from England studying Psychology, I enjoy watching old movies, although I don't own a TV, I'm very passionate about music who include

Andrew Bird
Cathy Davey
Ben Folds
Devics
Flaming Lips
Ane Brun
Elliott Smith
Emily Jane White
Kaki King
Nick Drake
Rufus Wainwright
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco
The Decemberists

(without it I don't know if I would be here now), I also love to daydream, I love poetry and reading I always have about 4 books on me at all times, my favourite book is 'to kill a mocking bird' as it was the first novel I was given and read, I love art and often just sit in MIMA (www.visitmima.com/) for hours just taking in all the atmosphere, I love to travel and I used to go everywhere in my little car by myself until my first seizure and I got my license taken away from me, I'm addicted to caffeine and Chai Latte's and love to people watch when I frequent my local coffee house, I like to go out but I hate clubs and pubs, I love to sit and watch the sea and I'm learning photography and the piano. I'm not a big talker I just love to listen to peoples stories; I guess that's why I took Psychology in the first place!

(I'm stopping now because I sound more and more like a giant among clichés)

I can't think of anything more but if you want to ask me something or talk or even see a little bit of me in you, I always welcome new views and opinions...well... thanks for reading

Orsino

(I guess my e-mail would be handy
[email protected])

Minus said:
Orsino said:
...I even feel like an outcast here (because of my lack of confidence and you all seem so extroverted)...

You aren't alone in that. I think some of the people may come across as being more extroverted here then they really are.

Absolutely. I am much much more open and bold here than in real life. That's why I came here. Welcome.
I like Nietzsche quote from your signature.

Minus said:
Do you have any favorite old movies or genres? I am not sure what qualifies as an "old movie" for you. I have heard some people refer to a movie that is two years old as an "old movie". I tend to think of movies from the 50's and earlier when i think of old movies.

Naleena said:
Hello Orsino :) We share a few things. I like old movies too and when I had cable would watch Turner classics. Isn't it funny how a lot of that "old thinking" is expressed in them? The ideas of those times seem so strange now a days. I like peoples stories too. I could listen for hours :) Welcome, BTW

Yeah I also think of movies from the 60's and earlier, I guess my favorite films at the moment are things like

Marx Brothers in Duck Soup (1933)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Harvey (1950)
Tôkyô monogatari (1953)
À bout de souffle (1960)
The Apartment (1960)
Jules et Jim (1962)
8 1/2 (1963)
Mépris, Le (1963)
Manhattan (1979)

I'm not really a fan of most modern movies and haven't been to a cinema in years, saying that I do enjoy some of the independent cinema that is now coming out of America, like Sideways or Brick. I love the innocence of the old films, and the way they could keep you entertained with limited special effects and every actor and actress seemed to put everything in the character they were playing, they are not many actors who I could say the same about these days.

jamiee said:
ok ok lol random question,
do you like john donne?

I have heard of him but I must confess I haven't extensively read any of his literature, although one quote I remember of his (correct me if I'm wrong)

Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail. - John Donne

What sort of stuff do you write? :)

Gothmother said:
lol nowt wrong in that!
Im from down south in devon, where most folks sound like Justin lee collins(Bristolians) or like farmer palmer who says Git Orff My lannnnd!

I'm sure it is much more interesting than the man on channel four 'Tonite on teh big bruthur house' thanks for that Channel 4 . I once visited Devon, beautiful part of the country I could just drive around for hours, I had to really it kept raining all the time I just wish I could visit with better weather.

Thank you all for your posts, I think it has helped and I am finally coming out a bit hopefully, although I must confess I did spend most of last night frantically refreshing the page in a frantic attempt of self loathing :rolleyes:

i writtteee... its hard to explain. Mostly fictional, slightly fantasy, mostly romance... hard to explain lol.
do you write any?

jamiee said:
i writtteee... its hard to explain. Mostly fictional, slightly fantasy, mostly romance... hard to explain lol.
do you write any?

Sounds intresting, and slightly mysterious. I used to write a lot years ago, but I was never very good and sadly with my studies I don't find the time for it much anymore.

aw.. well it took ages to get better at writing (yeaaars of it) but yeah... studying wrecks everything i love to do most of the time lol.
do you know what you want to do in the future?

jamiee said:
aw.. well it took ages to get better at writing (yeaaars of it) but yeah... studying wrecks everything i love to do most of the time lol.
do you know what you want to do in the future?

I could never finish, I would always be on the next project by the time I got to the middle of anything. I haven't really thought about it, maybe take on my degree further, I know I want to travel more so maybe study in a different country. how about yourself? What are you going to study\studying? and what do you want to do?

Well I plan on taking english for university... after that I might keep going or start doing my own thing if i can :p but i doubt I'll be able to survive like that so I'll probably end up at some office job lol.
what kind of countries are you thinking of? and credits to you for being so adventurous... I'd feel lost even if I could speak their language, like france, lol

I would love to go all over, France, USA, Australia, Japan, China, but like Robert Frost I would love to take the road less traveled.

I wish I was truly adventurous but the traveling comes out of a need to escape, a very selfish feeling indeed.

I am so jealous you are taking English, (credits to you) I would love to take my love of literature further, however me and my secondary school teacher had different ideas on a couple of poems and that kind of put me off. What University are you thinking of attending? I'm sure you won't end up in some office job, and if you do just think of it as inspiration for your next book :p

hmm... well i've already applied for university and my three choices are durham, york and then edinburgh. But I reckon I'll end up in York since my maths has been slipping alot lol.

I wouldn't say escaping is that selfish because its not harming anyone ^_^ lol
what kind of places are "less travelled" ? I can't imagine anywhere that hasn't been visited yet...

All three good universities, and York is a beautiful city I used to take the train down once a week when the weather was nice in the summer and just walk around the town centre aimlessly finding a nice spot to start a new book, and Durham has a fantastic old town center and it makes you feel very, well......errmmm.... traditional and quaint, but I haven’t been since I was a kid.

Maths seems to be my weakness in life too, I don’t know if it’s because I find it inherently useless or my OCD makes me want to put everything in chronological order so everything ends up been 1,2,3,4 regardless of the pattern :p and I have a strange fascination with the number 4 :rolleyes:

I think escaping can be selfish if you have people counting on you for all sorts of things, it’s kind of like running away from your problems instead of facing them, and always thinking the grass is greener on the on the other side.

I have no idea if there is anywhere that hasn’t been visited yet, but I think that’s half the adventure, finding nice little Persian cafe tucked out of the way instead of going to the chain restaurants...lol...I guess...

When do you start your course?

lol thanks for the insight on the cities :p york sounds like my kind of place... i even like yorkshire pudding, even if thats not really related lol. :rolleyes: I'm going to start my course around septembrish....

I guess escaping is kind of selfish if you look at it that way... you could say its selfish to keep yourself from other potential friends you've never met before :rolleyes: lol. but i suppose... do you feel like you're running away from problems?

i've always fancied visiting scotland or ireland or australia, simply because I love listening to their accents lol... well pretty much any accent apart from my own makes me :D lol.

Latest posts

Back