Lifestyle choices and loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can relate though my case is more extreme as I am vegan and don't drink, do drugs, etc. My family however is more accommodating than yours, which is weird. No one from a Greek background can seem to understand the concept of veganism, but despite this they still try to go out of their way often enough to cook food I can eat.

As usual in other threads, there is also alot of weak patronizing, you guys cannot personally understand how being straight edge and forging meat can isolate you, cheap truisms like people should accept others for who they are meaningless. You are not the ones who live a lifestyle that out of necessity isolates you from the bulk of those surrounding you. If you are out and about it is very hard to find vegan food, so alot of times I bring food with with me. For meat eaters who will eat anything(since they don't usually care about health) it is very easy for them to take for granted they can eat out anywhere there is human development. Most Americans I have met seem to think that you are boring if at a social gathering you don't drink, and too many seem to make drinking the only thing of substance they do when not at work, school. For many drinking is an event, the most important one.

Also about the bs of "forcing it on children". No animal has the ability to volunteer to live a life of miserly and unprintable suffering to lower the costs of your food "commodity", then die for no good reason other than to satiate the palate choice of ******* humans. If they could communicate they would tell us they don't want that, they try to say it in their far off screams at the slaughter-houses, but humans are total pricks that think they are Gods and that their taste choices are above billions of lives and the environment.

Callie said:
Do you ever wonder if how you live your life and the choices you make coincide with being alone?

I'm a vegetarian (I'd be vegan, but I eat dairy). People can't accept that and ridicule me and preach to me about it. I don't have a problem with OTHER people eating meat, I just don't.
I don't drink, haven't since I was 19 and I don't really go for the bar scene with makes me "dull and boring."
I'm a health freak that eats only organic/all natural food, that goes for my kids as well, so I'm a "mean mom" because I don't let my kids eat McDonald's or Little Debbie's.

I could go on...and on and on...but those are the main ones. The fact is that my life is just that, MINE. Why should other people care how I choose to live it when nothing about what I do directly impacts them.

I don't know, maybe I'm off my rocker, but I've been wondering this for long time.

I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem. lol that's a joke, I'm not that bad. I'm a carnivore, too, but I like veggies. Know what, though? It does not matter to me what you eat and you're the perfect designated driver.

Your question was whether or not our choices and lifestyle "coincide with being alone." Absofuckin'lutely. Square pegs are always ridiculed. I am the squarest of pegs. We who are not the same in some way as the crowd we're in we can either hide what we do and try to get along, isolate ourselves to avoid ridicule, or just say fresia it and be ourselves. I go for the latter. Sometimes we get accepted on the margins and sometimes it gets us pushed out. Such is life.

GeeChee7 said:
You need to live here in Austin, TX! Organic and vegan are the thing here. I just think that opposites attract so it's difficult to find like minded people at times. But in Austin, Vegans, Music lovers, animal lovers, marijuana lovers, etc, etc. are here. Our slogan is KEEP Austin Weird! You'd fit right in girl. About the kids, I understand the fast food but after age 16 they should be free to make there own decision of what they want to eat because when they leave your house they're gonna do it anyway. Most kids do the opposite of what they were forced to do growing up as a kid. Can you compromise a little with your kids cause being vegetarian is your personal choice. It's not a mandatory lifestyle. People can be healthy and eat meat too. I'm just sayin...
I just have to say that Austin is a terrific place, for sure. Great head-banging bands, wonderful collection of mixed nuts, all that. It's the most unTexas place in Texas. Who'd a thunk it.

Thrasymachus said:
I can relate though my case is more extreme as I am vegan and don't drink, do drugs, etc. My family however is more accommodating than yours, which is weird. No one from a Greek background can seem to understand the concept of veganism, but despite this they still try to go out of their way often enough to cook food I can eat.

As usual in other threads, there is also alot of weak patronizing, you guys cannot personally understand how being straight edge and forging meat can isolate you, cheap truisms like people should accept others for who they are meaningless. You are not the ones who live a lifestyle that out of necessity isolates you from the bulk of those surrounding you. If you are out and about it is very hard to find vegan food, so alot of times I bring food with with me. For meat eaters who will eat anything(since they don't usually care about health) it is very easy for them to take for granted they can eat out anywhere there is human development. Most Americans I have met seem to think that you are boring if at a social gathering you don't drink, and too many seem to make drinking the only thing of substance they do when not at work, school. For many drinking is an event, the most important one.

Also about the bs of "forcing it on children". No animal has the ability to volunteer to live a life of miserly and unprintable suffering to lower the costs of your food "commodity", then die for no good reason other than to satiate the palate choice of ******* humans. If they could communicate they would tell us they don't want that, they try to say it in their far off screams at the slaughter-houses, but humans are total pricks that think they are Gods and that their taste choices are above billions of lives and the environment.

I'm sorry, but did you necropost my thread so you could bash people that eat meat?
Kinda sounds that way. You totally missed the point of the thread, it's not about me not eating meat, it's about what we ALL do that isn't considered "the norm" and how it corresponds with us being lonely and whether or not the choices we make for our own lives are essentially making us "outcasts"

tedgresham said:
Callie said:
Do you ever wonder if how you live your life and the choices you make coincide with being alone?

I'm a vegetarian (I'd be vegan, but I eat dairy). People can't accept that and ridicule me and preach to me about it. I don't have a problem with OTHER people eating meat, I just don't.
I don't drink, haven't since I was 19 and I don't really go for the bar scene with makes me "dull and boring."
I'm a health freak that eats only organic/all natural food, that goes for my kids as well, so I'm a "mean mom" because I don't let my kids eat McDonald's or Little Debbie's.

I could go on...and on and on...but those are the main ones. The fact is that my life is just that, MINE. Why should other people care how I choose to live it when nothing about what I do directly impacts them.

I don't know, maybe I'm off my rocker, but I've been wondering this for long time.

I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem. lol that's a joke, I'm not that bad. I'm a carnivore, too, but I like veggies. Know what, though? It does not matter to me what you eat and you're the perfect designated driver.

Your question was whether or not our choices and lifestyle "coincide with being alone." Absofuckin'lutely. Square pegs are always ridiculed. I am the squarest of pegs. We who are not the same in some way as the crowd we're in we can either hide what we do and try to get along, isolate ourselves to avoid ridicule, or just say fresia it and be ourselves. I go for the latter. Sometimes we get accepted on the margins and sometimes it gets us pushed out. Such is life.

GeeChee7 said:
You need to live here in Austin, TX! Organic and vegan are the thing here. I just think that opposites attract so it's difficult to find like minded people at times. But in Austin, Vegans, Music lovers, animal lovers, marijuana lovers, etc, etc. are here. Our slogan is KEEP Austin Weird! You'd fit right in girl. About the kids, I understand the fast food but after age 16 they should be free to make there own decision of what they want to eat because when they leave your house they're gonna do it anyway. Most kids do the opposite of what they were forced to do growing up as a kid. Can you compromise a little with your kids cause being vegetarian is your personal choice. It's not a mandatory lifestyle. People can be healthy and eat meat too. I'm just sayin...
I just have to say that Austin is a terrific place, for sure. Great head-banging bands, wonderful collection of mixed nuts, all that. It's the most unTexas place in Texas. Who'd a thunk it.

I'd be more likely to kick your drunk ass than drive you somewhere. lol

When you use words "my choice" and wouldn't "force" your kids you reveal a mentality. It shows you consider the dietary choices available to other humans is of primal importance, like meat was only a shrink wrapped commodity in the supermarket that humans could choose or refrain from. You also say that others "preach to you" about meat, but you want to leave it at the superficial level of consumer choice(perhaps because you are only vegetarian for health reasons) and acceptance, showing that your attitude to their habit will never be reciprocated, yet you persist in the same path. At crux at this issue is far more than consumer based decisions, it as about what level of respect you have for the environment and its creatures. Personally I feel lots lash out at my vegan straight edge lifestyle, because it confronts them with a superior ethical position, which they don't/won't take. Vegetarians, vegans create a ripple effect on those around them that creates a small space to save extra animals due to the influence they have. For example, even though my family is not vegan, my choice helps them cut down a little on meat as they create more meals that can be shared with me, compared to if I still ate meat.

There are lots of choices, stances, positions, ethical paths people can take towards life. Recently one of my gardenia friends called waking me up at 5 am to brag how at his transit job he found $240+ dollars in a wallet on the train that he was gonna pocket. Now according to your philosophy I should have congratulated his choice, weakly hoping he accepted me more in other areas, but I did the opposite and told him it was messed up. Your position reminds me alot of my brother, whatever people around are doing or interested in, he often feigns ingeniously his interest hoping they are more likely to befriend him, but that does not work because that is not true to yourself. Thus he has only the ability in general to get dragged in the reality and choices of others and they often abuse him for favors and for his openness, kindness, and he still lacks any reliable friends he can count on, he always calls me first when he needs a ride home from too much drugs/drinking. But if you are firm in your reality, yes it is more isolating than with the opposite path, but people respect you more for your steadfastness.

Thrasymachus said:
When you use words "my choice" and wouldn't "force" your kids you reveal a mentality. It shows you consider the dietary choices available to other humans is of primal importance, like meat was only a shrink wrapped commodity in the supermarket that humans could choose or refrain from. You also say that others "preach to you" about meat, but you want to leave it at the superficial level of consumer choice(perhaps because you are only vegetarian for health reasons) and acceptance, showing that your attitude to their habit will never be reciprocated, yet you persist in the same path. At crux at this issue is far more than consumer based decisions, it as about what level of respect you have for the environment and its creatures. Personally I feel lots lash out at my vegan straight edge lifestyle, because it confronts them with a superior ethical position, which they don't/won't take. Vegetarians, vegans create a ripple effect on those around them that creates a small space to save extra animals due to the influence they have. For example, even though my family is not vegan, my choice helps them cut down a little on meat as they create more meals that can be shared with me, compared to if I still ate meat.

There are lots of choices, stances, positions, ethical paths people can take towards life. Recently one of my gardenia friends called waking me up at 5 am to brag how at his transit job he found $240+ dollars in a wallet on the train that he was gonna pocket. Now according to your philosophy I should have congratulated his choice, weakly hoping he accepted me more in other areas, but I did the opposite and told him it was messed up. Your position reminds me alot of my brother, whatever people around are doing or interested in, he often feigns ingeniously his interest hoping they are more likely to befriend him, but that does not work because that is not true to yourself. Thus he has only the ability in general to get dragged in the reality and choices of others and they often abuse him for favors and for his openness, kindness, and he still lacks any reliable friends he can count on, he always calls me first when he needs a ride home from too much drugs/drinking. But if you are firm in your reality, yes it is more isolating than with the opposite path, but people respect you more for your steadfastness.

Now you're just flat out twisting my words. Holy fresia. I never said anything about RIGHT AND WRONG, I said OUTSIDE THE NORM!
MOST people eat meat, ESPECIALLY where I live, I don't, so that takes me out of the norm.
MOST people drink, ESPECIALLY where I live, so that again, takes me OUT OF THE NORM.
MOST people eat fast food and eat food stuffed with preservatives, I don't, so again this takes me OUT OF THE NORM!

All these things, combined with my other choices about life make me DIFFERENT from other people. Perhaps you missed where I talked about MORE than just the fact that I don't eat meat. Perhaps you just simply ignored this area so you could take a bash at me and also at people who eat meat. I don't seem to recall saying anything about the reasons I don't eat meat, so don't start assuming that you know. And trying to turn it around to me saying you should congratulate someone that did something that was wrong is entirely messed up. Also, I'm not anything like your brother, I don't pretend to be someone I'm not just so people like me, I'm not going to pretend I enjoy something I don't just so I can have "friends." fresia that. I am who I am because of choices I have made in life and because of what I believe. Will I, once in a while do something that my friends want to do, such as go to a bar? Yes, I will, it's called compromise. Will I drink while I'm at that bar and cart them around wherever they want to go regardless of how I feel about it BECAUSE I'm not drinking? NO, I will not. Within reason, yes, but just because they wanna act like idiots and get drunk, no.

Holy fresia, dude, you might wanna pull that stick out your ass and step down from your high horse.

Seriously though, how did you find the thread in the first place? It had to have been buried under pages of other threads by now.

Callie said:

I don't see what your choice of diet and how you restrict your kids have a direct connection to loneliness. I know lots of people who are health freaks and not go to bars who have an active lifestyle and have many friends.

beans said:
Callie said:

I don't see what your choice of diet and how you restrict your kids have a direct connection to loneliness. I know lots of people who are health freaks and not go to bars who have an active lifestyle and have many friends.

Perhaps because EVERYONE around me eats meat and comments all the time how I'm a pain in the ass because I don't eat fast food OR meat.
Perhaps because the ONLY thing to do in my area is GO TO A BAR and drink.
I live in a town of 2500 people and there are 3 bars (4 if you include the American Legion). So yeah, the fact that I don't like bars and I don't drink does someone put a connection to loneliness.

I am all of the things you described above, except for a mom. I think you are right, the life choices we make, mainly the not drinking leads to less social activity and more alone time. It just presents more of a challenge of how to find people with like interests without going to a BAR. I would suggest going on www.meetup.com. You can find groups of people with similar interests, like hiking, vegetarianism, people who like to attend music concerts etc...

In the end, you will find more genuine lasting friendships when you stay away from the bars.

awakenhonesty said:
I am all of the things you described above, except for a mom. I think you are right, the life choices we make, mainly the not drinking leads to less social activity and more alone time. It just presents more of a challenge of how to find people with like interests without going to a BAR. I would suggest going on www.meetup.com. You can find groups of people with similar interests, like hiking, vegetarianism, people who like to attend music concerts etc...

In the end, you will find more genuine lasting friendships when you stay away from the bars.

The area I live in does not really give me any options on meetup. I've looked numerous times over the years and there's never anything there that would fit the bill. That said, I live in the same area that I've always lived in, so it's not so much that I don't know people, it more the fact that they know me (or think they do) and made their minds up about me.

I do have a few friends, but as our tastes often go in different directions and as busy/hectic as my life is right now, I (and they) simply don't have time to get together to do anything.

I'm going to completely ignore the whole vegan/meat eater thing going on here because it seems to be a load of assorted BS unrelated to the thread OP and frankly I don't get why it was brought up :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd say some lifestyle choices (those highlighted in the first post are similar to mine in many ways actually) encourage loneliness.

If I drank like a fish, smoked drugs during my down-time and used my charms* to meet and bed womenfolk en masse I'd probably be a lot more popular (ironically) and I'd definitely feel none of the isolation and sort of weird melancholy I have right now.

However, that stuff just doesn't sit well with me and I'd rather stick to being sober and sleeping alone every evening if it means I can remain true to my own ethical code. To sell out what makes me "me" for short term "happiness" is the definition of pointless in my view, though obviously not everyone's.

The fact is that being a nice person, being honest, hardworking and having self-restraint take time to pay off.

The world at present encourages a sort of fast, morally "relaxed" lifestyle or at least portrays that as "cool" in the media - and it definitely gives you the potential for fast friend and fling "achievement", but I think you end up lacking the things that the less frenetic people get in the end (a stable marriage and so on).

And now I'm really tired and must sleep, so I will stop rambling :D

*Charms may not exist

TheSolitaryMan said:
*Charms may not exist

I saw the asterisk and stopped to think, "Did this ************ just put up a disclaimer?" Haha!

That was nice and clever.

My lifestyle choices encourage my loneliness.

My eating or drinking habits aren't the problem (I barely eat as it is), it's my people habits that need some work.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I'm going to completely ignore the whole vegan/meat eater thing going on here because it seems to be a load of assorted BS unrelated to the thread OP and frankly I don't get why it was brought up :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd say some lifestyle choices (those highlighted in the first post are similar to mine in many ways actually) encourage loneliness.

If I drank like a fish, smoked drugs during my down-time and used my charms* to meet and bed womenfolk en masse I'd probably be a lot more popular (ironically) and I'd definitely feel none of the isolation and sort of weird melancholy I have right now.

However, that stuff just doesn't sit well with me and I'd rather stick to being sober and sleeping alone every evening if it means I can remain true to my own ethical code. To sell out what makes me "me" for short term "happiness" is the definition of pointless in my view, though obviously not everyone's.

The fact is that being a nice person, being honest, hardworking and having self-restraint take time to pay off.

The world at present encourages a sort of fast, morally "relaxed" lifestyle or at least portrays that as "cool" in the media - and it definitely gives you the potential for fast friend and fling "achievement", but I think you end up lacking the things that the less frenetic people get in the end (a stable marriage and so on).

And now I'm really tired and must sleep, so I will stop rambling :D

*Charms may not exist

You're right, this thread was never intended to turn into a debate about whether or not people eat meat, the ONLY reason I put it in there is because it's one of my lifestyle choices that makes me different from most people around me.

FunkyBuddha said:
TheSolitaryMan said:
*Charms may not exist

I saw the asterisk and stopped to think, "Did this ************ just put up a disclaimer?" Haha!

That was nice and clever.

My lifestyle choices encourage my loneliness.

My eating or drinking habits aren't the problem (I barely eat as it is), it's my people habits that need some work.

All of my habits need work. lol

This is a good thread and I'ma bump it. It's something people need to think about.

About two or three weeks ago, I was told by my little brother, "You don't have any friends because you say things people don't wanna hear. You're an Atheist, you spend more time at home than outside, and you're antisocial. No one likes you because you're a ***** and a freak."

Perhaps he's right. Perhaps if I went to church, perhaps if I'd not stayed home to take care of my disabled and dying sister, perhaps if I didn't stay under my mother's wing for so long, perhaps if I didn't keep my nose in books, perhaps if I did the things other people my age did...drink, party, stay out late, I'd have friends.

These were all life choices that I made myself. Right or wrong, they all contributed to my loneliness. I can't blame other people for not wanting me as a friend, the same way as I can't blame myself for not wanting to be friends with them. If I happen to be the type of person no one wants to bother with, then so be it.

Either way, my life choices are right for ME. I, too, am a freakish vegetarian who eats healthy as often as I can afford it. I, too, don't drink or hang out at bars and that makes me a boring stick-in-the-mud. I don't like most social events that are available to me because they are not my style. I don't go to church. I was homeschooled. I don't like to party. I couldn't care less about fashion and trends.

And you know what? I wouldn't have my life ANY OTHER WAY. Regardless of consequences.

The things I would think to work on is trying to go places that revolve around my interests and meeting people there. I tend to have a low esteem for other people as well as myself and therefore doubt our abilities to be compatible. I avoid events that I know I'd like because I'm afraid the people there won't like me. That mindset is my fault and mine alone.

I think people should, instead of blaming the world, take a look at THEIR faults. More often than not, your loneliness is something you can change, even if you don't want to own up to that.

I don't think lifestyle choices have any affect on loneliness. Though, having certain lifestyle choices do make having friends easier than others. It all depends on the common interests between you and others.

"Hey! Want to go and have a barbecue?" You don't eat meat, you're immediately cut out from those types of people.

"Wanna go to the bar? You don't drink, you're immediately cut out from those types of people.

The thing is you need to find people who share your common interests, your same lifestyle. Everyone fits in somewhere.

**** Rabbit, necropost me why dontcha. Good post tho (hug)

Ak5 said:
I don't think lifestyle choices have any affect on loneliness. Though, having certain lifestyle choices do make having friends easier than others. It all depends on the common interests between you and others.

"Hey! Want to go and have a barbecue?" You don't eat meat, you're immediately cut out from those types of people.

"Wanna go to the bar? You don't drink, you're immediately cut out from those types of people.

The thing is you need to find people who share your common interests, your same lifestyle. Everyone fits in somewhere.

Yeah, but that's the thing Ak. Just because there is meat being served doesn't mean there isn't anything else. No I don't eat meat, but everywhere has salads. No, I don't drink, but that doesn't mean I can't go to the bar and have fun. (well, I don't really find bars fun, but that's not the point)

And finding people that are like me isn't all that easy when you live in the back country of Ohio and everyone is so judgmental about everything unless it's the "norm."

When I was in college I was invited out with friends for one's 19th Birthday. They knew I didn't drink. They tried to get me to of course cause they were getting drunk, but they didn't shun me. I even got dragged up on the dance floor with some of the girls. Did I try to get out of going because I don't drink, you bet your ass I did. They made me go, that wasn't a good enough excuse.

Callie said:
**** Rabbit, necropost me why dontcha. Good post tho (hug)

Ak5 said:

Yeah, but that's the thing Ak. Just because there is meat being served doesn't mean there isn't anything else. No I don't eat meat, but everywhere has salads. No, I don't drink, but that doesn't mean I can't go to the bar and have fun. (well, I don't really find bars fun, but that's not the point)

And finding people that are like me isn't all that easy when you live in the back country of Ohio and everyone is so judgmental about everything unless it's the "norm."

(hug) Lol

That's right, and it's not easy being what is right for you when it's not a social "norm". If it were a matter of making friends, you could've easily said you'd start eating meat so you would be invited to barbeques or you'd start drinking so you could hang out at bars.

Fact of the matter is we make choices and sometimes they're not choices everyone else will agree with. Just depends on how we view it for ourselves.

I'd say my choices have definitely left me lonelier. Yes, I was always naturally inclined to social anxiety and depression, it runs in my family, but in a lot of situations the only cure is exposure. I've been at a point in my life where talking to people was happening more often than now. When I look back at those times I realize that I didn't look forward to many of the encounters I knew were going to happen, but in general I felt much more at ease in the company of others than I do now that I've become more reclusive. I've made a conscious choice to isolate myself and to not put any effort into seeking out social situations. In the past couple of years I've basically given up on socializing altogether. In some ways it's been a nice break from the pressure of trying to appear more successful than I actually feel. In other, more long term and real ways it's been like a self-inflicted prison sentence.

So now I'm starting to plan my escape from lonely-jail. I can clearly see that nobody can break me out of here, nobody can scale those walls except me. Sure, life was often stressful in social environments, but just the act of trying was a lot better than being stuck here in this rut. I gave up on myself thinking that would bring me peace, but only blood sweat and tears can give me that. I accept the possibility of failure, and choose to move forward in my life with the best of my ability. If I can hold true to this, I will feel no hesitation in holding my head up high, and calling myself a man.

I'm the first to admit that my lifestyle choices and interests are incompatible with those of most other people, which narrows the pool for potential friends down tremendously. A vegetarian germaphobe who doesn't drink or have children? Unheard of around here. And yes, lifestyle choices have a huge influence on who we can be friends with. Not everyone lives in a city where there are multitudes of different types of people. And those people might not be very tolerant or accommodating towards anyone different than themselves.

But I think more than interests and lifestyle choices, the biggest turn off about some people will always be their most glaring personality faults.

Just using some examples that I've encountered, not many people want to befriend a rabid misogynist or someone who is generally hateful. Not many people have any tolerance for someone who is blatantly hypocritical or who intentionally and maliciously provokes people all the time. Not many people want to be friends with someone who acts like a whiny emo teenager all the time. Not many people, at least not many educated or intelligent people, have any tolerance for outright stupidity... I could go on forever. :shy: But I must add the disclaimer that this isn't aimed at anyone here.

I realize my own personality faults, but I can't help but think "...and this is why you're alone" when I encounter anyone with the above mentioned traits. The sad part is, people like that never seem to think it's their horrible personality that makes people dislike them. It's always someone else's fault. It's always because the other person is an unreasonable *****, not because they're an annoying ****. There is never any self-reflection, never any improvement. But yet, these things can be changed if the person would just simply... get their head out of their own ass and realize "...this attitude isn't working out for me."

Unfortunately sometimes there is just a lot more whining than self-reflection. But oh well.

Latest posts

Back