Little Known Facts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Cornish game hen is really a young chicken, usually 5 to 6 weeks of age, that weighs no more than 2 pounds.

Simple quiz

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?
2) Which country makes Panama hats?
3) From which animal do we get catgut?
4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?
5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?
6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?
7) What was King George VI's first name?
8) What color is a purple finch?
9) What country do Chinese gooseberries come from?
10) How long did the Thirty Years War last?

(answers below)

23hq3ya.jpg

ANSWERS TO THE QUIZ
===================

1) 116 years, from 1337 to 1453.
2) Ecuador.
3) From sheep and horses.
4) November. The Russian calendar was 13 days behind ours.
5) Squirrel fur.
6) The Latin name was Insularia Canaria - Island of the Dogs.
7) Albert. When he came to the throne in 1936 he respected the
wish of Queen Victoria that no future king should ever be
called Albert.
8) Distinctively crimson.
9) New Zealand.
10) Thirty years, of course. From 1618 to 1648.

The average human emits approximately 95 watts of energy as heat in the form of infrared light. A standard 100 watt incandescent light bulb emits only about 5% of its energy as visible light, the rest is given off as heat in the form of infrared light. This means the average human produces the same amount of heat as a 100 watt light bulb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbulb

The often heard claim that you only use 10% of your brain is false.

It is not known where this myth originated. "Beyerstein, of the Brain Behaviour Laboratory at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, has traced it back to at least the early part of the [last] century." While it was never a scientific belief, the myth seems to be largely perpetuated by self help gurus and those that see it as a convenient explanation for psychic powers.

1) Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. ..... Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another.

2) The myth presupposes an extreme localization of functions in the brain. If the "used" or "necessary" parts of the brain were scattered all around the organ, that would imply that much of the brain is in fact necessary. But the myth implies that the "used" part of the brain is a discrete area, and the "unused" part is like an appendix or tonsil, taking up space but essentially unnecessary. But if all those parts of the brain are unused, removal or damage to the "unused" part of the brain should be minor or unnoticed. Yet people who have suffered head trauma, a stroke, or other brain injury are frequently severely impaired. Have you ever heard a doctor say,". . . But luckily when that bullet entered his skull, it only damaged the 90 percent of his brain he didn't use"?...

Every day 20 banks are robbed. The average take is $2,500

Minus said:
Every day 20 banks are robbed. The average take is $2,500

That is interesting. But only $2,500? If I was to do something like this I would not do it for that little. It would have to be one Big mother of a job. Then me sate on a beach with a cocktail in hand for the rest of my nacheral :cool:

Bluey said:
That is interesting. But only $2,500? If I was to do something like this I would not do it for that little. It would have to be one Big mother of a job. Then me sate on a beach with a cocktail in hand for the rest of my nacheral :cool:

If i remember right, bank robbery has a very high apprehension and conviction rate.

Minus said:
1. A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

Is it true a duck's quack won't echo?

Yep. There is a show on Discovery called "Mythbusters" and they actually tested it out. Great episode. Very strange how it doesn't echo though. Out of all the sounds that exist in the world that are man made or from animals.

DayvanCowboy said:
Yep. There is a show on Discovery called "Mythbusters" and they actually tested it out. Great episode. Very strange how it doesn't echo though. Out of all the sounds that exist in the world that are man made or from animals.

I have not seen that episode but every review that i see for it says something to the effect of "... it seems that the problem is that the duck's quack does echo, but rather than a normal echo, the echo looks a lot like the first quack, just alot quieter".

I don't know if this is exactly a "little known" fact, but an apple is better at waking you up in the morning than a cup of coffee.

oversleeping has the same effect on your body as undersleeping

Latest posts

Back