Loneliness vs isolation.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Most humans are greedy like my brother. At least I wont have to go to his funeral. if I dont die first. he's turned my nieces against me s no holds barred during probate. I am going to make sure he loses. I survive with no family or friends. ``
Reseach how probate works. For the most part who ever is named in the will to take over files the probate paperwork. Then they can do anything they want to do. The court will NOT get involved. So, they could take all the assets and transfer them all to themselves.

Then you have to file to get the probate reviewed. But, mostly it's about proceedurals mistakes. The courts do NOT get want to get involved unless is very obvious though.

Last edited:
Its a trust. I am executor. My parents lost everything, thanks to my brother. I Took care of my dad for 7 years, while working. brother wants home sold, but my dad told me I could stay here as long as I wanted to, even if it has a mortgage on a 71 year old home, which I paid for 14 years. Brother had 18 years living in my grandmother house all paid for. No mortgage, no rent, which I should have charged him. He is just another obstical to me, not a brother at all. I am one son-of a bit@h and I will win.

Last edited:
For those who say that they are now comfortable with living either a lonely existence or living in isolation, I admire your strength so much. In my belief, I honestly feel that these two things are biggest destroyers of mental and physical health, however, there always being two sides to things, it can be argued that living in an unhappy, loveless or violent marriage/relationship is equally destructive.
I have done both, and at the age of 55, I feel my life might as well be over. It feels impossible to meet someone and there's a great fear of meeting the wrong sort of man sadly. I was truly spoilt as I grew up blessed with a loving Father who was an amazing family man and I think I expected to meet someone like him. I married at 16 to a man 7 years my senior who sadly, I found was a "cold fish" and did nothing but control and criticise. I stuck it out 19 years and had 3 beautiful children, and have since searched for my "Knight in shining armour" .....
I'm a kind, trusting person, not moody, bossy, love animals and I look good for my age, but I feel I'm destined to remain lonely and my depression has become serious recently. I've been out driving and thought about speeding up and hitting a tree, I sat in a Costa Coffee house today and it took all my resilience not to burst out crying.
And then, when family or friends ask how I'm doing.... It's always the usual "I'm fine thanks"
How can you be isolated and very lonely if you have family and friends you can spend time with or speak to? I know people who are truly isolated with nobody at all. That's isolation.

How can you be isolated and very lonely if you have family and friends you can spend time with or speak to? I know people who are truly isolated with nobody at all. That's isolation.
Just because you have family and friends doesn't mean you are included or part of the "gang." You CAN be both isolated and lonely when you have people around you.

It’s an interesting distinction; I am not lonely, but I feel isolated.

Am 30M, and cannot get a girlfriend. I live a full enough life; I have plenty of friends, a job that I enjoy enough, several different hobbies that keep me busy, I’m even comfortable in my own company, I’m absolutely not lonely. And yet, at the end of each day, once I’ve seen my friends and finished my activities, I’m very aware that I’ll still wake up to a world where I’m ugly & unwanted. My friends are lovely and all, but they all have their own partners and lives etc.

One way or another, think about old age. I can explain further I you wish.

When you are young, unless you have an illness or something else, getting by on being alone is fairly possible. It is always important to have some sort of friends, or family( your parents & siblings have either died or dont live near you or hate you). Without a mate of some sort, sooner or later you may become ill and at the very least need a ride, if sedation is needed.

Recently I needed such a ride, but since I have no real friends left anymore, I decided that I was not going to have an endoscopy by paying some local outfit (Uber/Lyft dont count asthey have to stay there) and I was not going to pay them to do so. Just one more reason I really dont belong here on Earth.

Getting old really sucks, but I am not/can't take my own life. I do wish my father had gotten my mother some help with her Rage-filled alcoholic/mental health condition, but he never did. How a man could just take off leaving us alone with her anger and rage, leading to a life of loneliness, is beyond me. I know that if it was me, I could have ever not done/allowed this.

Thankfully, I will never make it past 75 years on this insane planet. Humans (most, not all) are unbelievably cruel people.

I thought it was just me but I see so many others express my thoughts and feeling. I’m 44 with two kids, divorced, and after a 6 year relationship following the divorce that was, looking back on it, doomed from the beginning, I’ve decided to make my peace with the fact that I’ll probably be alone for the rest of my life. It’s partly because I’ve given up on love and partly because it seems so much easier to just do my own thing. I live in a big city but I dream to go back to the country when I retire, to the place where I grew up. I’ll have a garden and small animals, and live in peace. At least that’s how I imagine it. For now, I’m just trying to find happiness everyday. My faith helps and guides me. I do have a garden and can’t wait to get back in it (once this snow melts) and I seem to be the local cat lady already lol. I have three of my own and two strays have adopted my house as their food and petting source. Oh well, at least some living things appreciate me. Mostly I feel betrayed by humans who promise things and then back out. I can’t take that amount of heartbreak anymore.

I have the luck of being 23yo, I hope to find someone at some point. It seems isolation and loneliness are more frequent than ever. as many other have expressed, I too am not alone, yet I feel alone. I'm planning on moving back to my mother's house this summer, simply because I've spent the last 5 years in an appartment, mostly alone...

Since my job went to the sleep from home, I mean work from home model, I am not not just lonely but also isolated. Don't see it ever changing either.

Well, when we all collectively end up in a "The Road" scenario, split into communistic groups like the folks on The Walking Dead, scrounging for food, defending ourselves against creatures and humans alike, watching our loved ones die, all the people that thought a relationship was the most important thing in the world will realize it meant absolutely nothing.

So, in that regard, you deciding to go play prepper-recluse was likely divine intuition.

You couldn't have made a better move.

Reading your post is heartbreaking. Mostly because a lot of your story fits with mine. I wrote a poem describing this fear. I wanted to share it with you. Its not a cheerful poem, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Fears Realized

Alone, I fear, I'll grow old and gray,
Lost in a world that's slipped away,
No parents there to guide my hand,
No children left to take a stand.

The thought has haunted me for years,
Filling me with countless fears,
Of growing old without a mate,
To share my life, to be my fate.

My loves departure leaves me scared,
A future that feels unprepared,
A life without love, hope, or light,