Lonliness: The crazy things you do...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodmorningamerica

Reaction score
Lonliness drives oneself to do many crazy/strange things, whether they be socially unacceptable or even highly dangerous. I'm interested to hear what everybody on these forums does that is crazy in their daily lifes.

I'll start the ball rolling. A very strange hobby of mine is choosing a random café on the other side of London and then planning a route to get there by bus. Whenever there's a day that I'm not attending college I make a note of the directions and leave. It's really fun and boosts my confidence by being able to go into an unknown place and be relaxed about it.

I won't mention my 'crazy hobby' since it might freak people out.

I crossdress and do alot of game programming. The crossdressing helps me feel like there's a woman near who loves me (this one), and helps me feel sexy. The game programming keeps me busy, but I've never really finished the game I'm working on.

One day I'd like to have the nerve to just walk outside dressed up, drive off in a care somewhere and hang out or shop. But I live in a small town area where everyone knows everyone.

Re. the random cafe. This sounds like a good idea and I might try it myself. How do you pick the cafes in the first place? Do you go through Yellow Pages and go for the ones whose names appeal to you? Or are they ones you might have spotted first from a bus window on your way somewhere else?

Tiina63 said:
Re. the random cafe. This sounds like a good idea and I might try it myself. How do you pick the cafes in the first place? Do you go through Yellow Pages and go for the ones whose names appeal to you? Or are they ones you might have spotted first from a bus window on your way somewhere else?

Google Maps is your buddy. Just put in 'Cafés near [area]' and choose one. Just be careful to avoid bad areas. I'm going to Enfield in January and that looks ok.

bulmabriefs144 said:
I crossdress and do alot of game programming. The crossdressing helps me feel like there's a woman near who loves me (this one), and helps me feel sexy. The game programming keeps me busy, but I've never really finished the game I'm working on.

One day I'd like to have the nerve to just walk outside dressed up, drive off in a care somewhere and hang out or shop. But I live in a small town area where everyone knows everyone.
How about vacation? Maybe even flying into another country, then nobody would know you and you could go all out. Dress up and have some fun. :)

I have no real crazy hobby, since my loneliness just works in small amounts of time. Sometimes I got the feeling that it would be a good idea to join online dating sites. One time I made very much international e-mail friendships. This time I joined this site, which is good, but would most likely seem kind of funny to a person who doesn't know loneliness.
Oh, and my loneliness is the reason why I started to read erotic literature as well, which I didn't do before. So that's why I have stuff like "Shades of Grey", between my usual books like "The Geisha", "A Brief History of Time" and "The Portrait of Dorian Gray". (just examples)

I have an elaborate and detailed imaginary life. I don't know if other people spend as much time daydreaming as I do. Daydreaming about mundane activities like shopping at a farmers market or taking a plane ride. And it's not occasional - I actually set time aside in my schedule to live in my dream world where I'm not exactly royalty, but I'm rather well liked.
God, I'm so weird.

simplesimonette said:
I have an elaborate and detailed imaginary life. I don't know if other people spend as much time daydreaming as I do. Daydreaming about mundane activities like shopping at a farmers market or taking a plane ride. And it's not occasional - I actually set time aside in my schedule to live in my dream world where I'm not exactly royalty, but I'm rather well liked.
God, I'm so weird.

No you're not.
You're eccentric and interesting.
Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the info. I will check out google maps for cafes in the New Year.
Re daydreaming. I spend most of my time in a daydream and would list it as one of my main hobbies:).

simplesimonette said:
God, I'm so weird.

It is far away from being weird... in my opinion. Why do we have so much fiction, not just in literature and the movies? Why do we have games, that make some people addicted to them? It's all very close to day dreaming and it's all a very normal part of our world, because of a simple fact:
Illusion is sometimes sweeter than reality. (Not that I claim that it is possible to know "reality", since we all view the world different.)

Actually, I even once wrote to a girl, who told me that nearly nothing she wrote me was true... but she liked to believe it to be this way. I guess sometimes you can even gain happiness from illusions, fantasy and fiction. But I guess it would only make me even more sad, since I couldn't ignore the fact that would just be in my head... I guess that would make me feel even lonelier. I envy everyone who can live in his dream world. ;)

PyramidHead said:
bulmabriefs144 said:

One day I'd like to have the nerve to just walk outside dressed up, drive off in a car somewhere and hang out or shop. But I live in a small town area where everyone knows everyone.
How about vacation? Maybe even flying into another country, then nobody would know you and you could go all out. Dress up and have some fun. :)

Not terribly rich. I've been to China (before I started buying my own clothes), UK, South Africa, and such, mainly on church related stuff where someone else paid the air fare. I have enough money to tour the country the other year, and that was about it.

Just taking a trip to the city would be alot cheaper and just as much fun.

I had a dream this woman I'm interested in was upset because I hadn't asked her out yet.

Wishful thinking. :)

LonelyInAtl said:
I had a dream this woman I'm interested in was upset because I hadn't asked her out yet.

Wishful thinking. :)

why don't you make your new year resolution to be a bit more positive about yourself ?

Or if you like somebody ask them out regardless of whether you think they like or not ?

Or a goal could be to ask 100 women out next year. Write it up on a bit of paper. Don't worry about what they say, how they react etc, just ask and at the end of the year you have acheived something.

All the best for 2013 !

duff said:
why don't you make your new year resolution to be a bit more positive about yourself ?

Or if you like somebody ask them out regardless of whether you think they like or not ?

Or a goal could be to ask 100 women out next year. Write it up on a bit of paper. Don't worry about what they say, how they react etc, just ask and at the end of the year you have acheived something.

All the best for 2013 !

It's a bit hard to be positive about yourself after having been told negative things by women.

Even if I had the nerve to ask someone out I wouldn't know how to do it. I can design an enterprise IT solution for a multi-million dollar company but have no clue on how to start a conversation with women, flirt, and all that other stuff.

sometimes i just go out alone all by myself to a Pub or something similar.
There, when I look at all those happy people having fun, I realize how lonely and desperate I am.
I need to accept this, I suppose.

The crazy things I've done since being alone? I wrote in a post earlier, that I walk ALOT now. Some days like 25 kilometers. Just walk and walk and walk, always looking for new ways, new side streets, new routes. It's a little more difficult now, there's alot of snow and ice on the sidewalks, and it slows me down. I know what I should be doing, instead of walking. I NEED to get back into playing and composing my music. I abruptly stopped 7 months ago, when the honeysuckle hit the fan in my life. Up until then, I was composing the best music of my life, it didn't matter what style. Everything. Classical symphonies, electronica, metal, rock, funk, jazz, soundtracky stuff. Then boom. My muse died along with most my hope. I have hardly touched the piano or my composing software since, except about a month ago when I went full throttle on a symphony I was working on last year. It still needs to be remixed and mastered, though. I haven't had the motivation. I need to get my groove back, I can't walk forever....

I have a messed up sleep schedule, since I mostly do work when I receive them through emails and quite randomly. I could mostly sleep whenever I want as long as I'm there during certain hours of the day. I would sleep 2 to 3 hrs at a time when I'm tired.

I do like walking and "exploring" places, but I don't do them a lot. I remember having to stay at my aunt's place for a week before moving during summer and I would go out in the morning and walk around town until night time since I didn't want to stay at her house all day. It was actually pretty great since there were parades and events in downtown and such I otherwise wouldn't see, and there were a lot of stores I would've never visited, also read a few books at a park sitting wherever I want, feels good man.

Staring at my monitor all day is probably considered to be a really weird thing too.

Walk! I love walking. I'll always take the longest routes and I enjoy walking away from roads/houses and admire the hidden sights that people don't often see or admire. A good view in a quiet place always help me to calm down.

Woz said:
Walk! I love walking. I'll always take the longest routes and I enjoy walking away from roads/houses and admire the hidden sights that people don't often see or admire. A good view in a quiet place always help me to calm down.

I once did this as well, in the way too long vacations between my terms in my time at university... one day, I walked for a few hours and then I began to wonder... because for around an hour, I had walked in a forest without getting out of it. And I just walked straight into the same direction.
Took me nearly as long to get back....

Sometimes I'll go to a meetup group event that is at a bar, sit at the bar all night, watch guys who have a chance try to meet women, and sip on Johnny Walker Blue Label, Chivas Regal, or Woodford Reserve all night and wish I has enough nerve to try to talk to women.

Crazy things I do...

I've tried a few times to word it but some things are best just left inside my mind.

Latest posts

Back