Losing friends because of poor timing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Satyr

Something that's been bothering me lately:

Awhile back I was talking to someone on the phone fairly regularly.

The problem with this arrangement was the fact that they only had my phone number and I didn't have there's. Now I realize I'm a backwards hillbilly for not having a cellphone (just a land line) but up until quite recently it's never proved to be a problem. I even gave them my work number so they could call during the day if they chose to. For some reason they never used that.

At any rate, a family emergency came up that lasted weeks and I wasn't able to be home at the usual time they called. I think this person assumed I didn't want to talk to them and eventually gave up.

I guess my point here is that just because you can't get in contact with someone doesn't mean they don't want to talk to you. Often with busy people, there are periods when they are simply unavailable. Maybe I'm the last person to be saying this, but you should never assume anything until it has been proven beyond a doubt that it's true...especially when it involves something as important as friendship.

You are right about jumping to conclusions.

Still they do have your work number and even us backwards hillbillies can get their number just in case.

5.gif

Could the other person be going through one of these busy periods where they are "simply unavailable" and will call when they can?

I can't stand when people do that. =/ It's rather annoying. If there's any possible way to contact them, I'd try and then tell them that you had something going on that needed all your concentration.

Minus said:
Still they do have your work number and even us backwards hillbillies can get their number just in case.

That apparently isn't an option.

Minus said:
Could the other person be going through one of these busy periods where they are "simply unavailable" and will call when they can?

Possibly...I have no way of knowing.

Latest posts

Back