Lost the Ability to Sleep Alone.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silhouette

Reaction score
I've become so stressed with the realization that I'm truly alone, that I'm not able to sleep. I feel tired, I'll feel EXHAUSTED, but still I can't sleep. The past 8 months or so, I'd gotten used to being at my boyfriend (who is also my best friend)'s house and sleeping with him in his bed. Now that we've broken up this past Tuesday (but still are best friends), the stress of that is adding to my already lonely issues. Now I'm sitting here, it's almost 3 AM and I'm so tired...but I can't sleep. I stayed at his house last night and while I had trouble going to sleep at first, I feel asleep with no issues eventually.

I have to literally drug myself with sleeping aids to even have a hope of slipping off to dreamland. I don't know what to do. I obviously can't be at my best friend's house day after day because I can't fall asleep alone, that's just silly and impossible.

*sigh* I'm running out of options.

it takes a little while....don't freak out.

I'm not sure how long ago you broke up.
But if you're still in the first couple of weeks..it's still going to be wierd..

Break up are hard on everybody. You're not crazy.
My friend had to baby sit for a couple of weeks. And I'm a guy.

Please don't judge yourself or take yourself too seriouse at the moment...
Becuase it's the stress from the break up and the emotional roller coasters.

It's an emotional roller coater. Sometimes it comes in waves.
I used to stay up for days at a time.

Sometimes I used to go sleep in my car becuase it was just all wierd and wrong.
After a while I stopped fighting it. I welcome it...becuase I knew the sooner I process
it and go through it...the sooner I'll come out the other side.

The only thing that was good about being by myself was I was able to cry. I feel better after a good cry.

Even so...during the day sometimes I used to sit at my desk and just cry.
Well...becuase it hurts and I couldn't hold it in. So I tried to do my crying as much as I can at home.

Please do not try to abuse drugs or alcohol in this porcess...it'll only compound your problems
or challanges. Alcohol will make you depresss becuasr it's a depresent.

If you can...please don't listen to the radio or love songs or break up songs for a little while.
It'll trigger a lot of emotions and gets your wheels spining.

You won't be alone forever.
I felt the same way too. A lot of people had to help me through that.
Each day I made progress...I even went and brought follows for myself. ( I am a guy.lol)
It's to remind me there's still plenty of beauty in life.

I used to make myself go for a walk until I get tired...
The only thing that sucks about that was..I walk 5-6 miles from my house..
it was a 5-6 miles walk back home.lol

I'm single too at the moment after a long term relationship.

yeah...keep reaching out.
Don't hang out in your house. Use it only for a play to sleep...

I actaully use the 90 days after a break up guide. It helped me....

The first 30 days was just a greiving period.
Then the next month was staying bussy ...keeping a journal. Hanging out wiht my friends.
Then the next months I relized I wasn't hurting that much anymore. I actaully enjoyed being single.

You know how it is...as soon as you love the single life style...a person pops into your life.

Why not stay at his house one night, and then stay at home the next? It should make it a little bit easier for you, and you can slowly get used to being alone.

We only just broke up recently. And I try to avoid love songs/break up songs/etc, but I stop my own thoughts. I can't really go hang out anywhere or go...well, anywhere. I don't have any friends. :(

The problem with going to his house one night and mine the next, is that he lives 45 minutes away. It's like I'm doomed.

****, that sucks. The sad truth is it's gonna be that way a while. You have to get used to a new enviorment. I know it hurts to break up with someone. It's gonna hurt and your gonna loose sleep but, time really does heal things. You will eventually miss him less and less and get more and more sleep. Just remember, you can come here and vent on your lonliest of lonely nights :X I have seen so many people diss the internet friendships but, they really come through at 4am in the morning:p
Patience girlie, patience. You will get through this.

Sorry I can't relate to you that well, (have yet to reach experience True heartbreak), at least I can offer some cold practical advice ha! So what kind of sleeping aids are you using? I highly recommend melatonin (a natural hormone that regulates sleep cycles), if that doesn't work eventually then try ambient as well, those drugs have had no negative effects on me ever(there's also a sticky herbal remedy if you know what I mean), most most importantly try to take your mind off of it, books and movies before bed work well, as long as they don't serve as reminders. But yea, you will get over this, possibly sooner than you like, so get ready to better times =)

Latest posts

Back