Love at first sight

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
I was reading in Freakin Amazin's diary and saw where he posted that he was "almost smitten at first sight." (btw, is a good read. Sweet guy) I have heard other people in the forum say that they fell in love "at first sight." So my question to all of you is, do you believe in love at first sight?

I have never experienced it but, I like to think it's possible :)

I don't know if I believe in it, only bc it's never happened to me before :(
It could be cool, but really inconvenient. Like, what if you fall absolutely in love with someone you see walking on the street? Do you run after them like a crazy person?

I have never experienced it ether but I do think its possible. Every girl I have been out with (2 lol) well I got to know first as friends. Be for that I felt nothing for them. So for me I do know that I have to get to know a girl quite well be for I feel anything for her.

Never had any experience with it, but I wouldn't doubt anyone who claimed they had. Not really sure how you could fall in love with a person just by looking at her though, and I don't think it can be explained unless you've experienced it yourself.

Love ain't easy

Hey Naleena,

Well if i was to reply to this when i first joined, i may have joined the group that says... maybe but i wouldnt know.

However, I can say I do believe in it (at least partially...for now) i happened to be going through websites and stopped randomly to chat to someone... the next thing I know we're both along really well, liking each other and such.. put it short we both feel very strongly for each other. So much so that within 2 months of knowing each other we was already planning to meet each other (this may sound like a long time before meeting someone but considering shes on the other side of the atlantic its a big step). 2 months and we're already travelling across oceans.. shes going to be here in October.. we can't wait.. and after that.. then i can tell you if love at 1st sight does exist.

Yes I believe in love at first sight...what happens though if it is not reciprocated...where does that leave you?

zraskolnikov said:
I believe in lust at first sight.

lol

davechaos said:
Yes I believe in love at first sight...what happens though if it is not reciprocated...where does that leave you?

Well, I would pretty much of said scrod lol, Yep there you have it, My great worldly advice.

Even though I am hopeless romantic I don't believe in love at first sight. You can be attracted to a person when you first see them, but calling it love is little too far fetched for me. It of course depends on what people define as love, but to me true love cannot exist when you don't really know the person. To me love is more than a feeling of likeing someone alot. It is a sacrifice.

But I have experienced something that some would consider "love at first sight". I would word it more like "crush at first sight". I have met girls that I have found highly attractive, but I have never really knew who they were. I have had idea what they might be like and I have more felt "love" towards that idea of the girl rather than the person itself. I suppouse that feeling is very similiar to love and perhaps it is love, but only on lower level. However I still rather call this phenomenon a crush rather than love. Crushes are something you can have without making an effort, but love is something that builds over time when you can take both good and the bad from the person.

According to sternberg's theory of love, love has three components:

• Intimacy
  • Commitment
  • Passion

Intimacy is something that, by definition, evolves over time - it involves mutual emotional support, closeness and understanding and a warm feeling in each other's presence - this cannot be, by definition, 'at first sight'.

Commitment involves a conscious decision to be with the beloved through the good times and bad. Since the good times and bad don't take place within the split second that you look at the beloved, this cannot be 'at first sight'.

Passion is the sense of physiological arousal you get when looking or thinking about the beloved, thus it can be 'at first sight'.

Different types of love can be derived from these three components:

Triangular_Theory_of_Love.gif

Therefore Passion without Intimacy or Commitment = Infatuation, therefore I believe in Infatuation at first sight, but not love at first sight. ;)

I left my partner because I thought I was in love with another person now I know it was only infatuation. Luckily I woke up before I made anymore mistakes.

Frostburn said:
Even though I am hopeless romantic I don't believe in love at first sight. You can be attracted to a person when you first see them, but calling it love is little too far fetched for me. It of course depends on what people define as love, but to me true love cannot exist when you don't really know the person. To me love is more than a feeling of likeing someone alot. It is a sacrifice.

But I have experienced something that some would consider "love at first sight". I would word it more like "crush at first sight". I have met girls that I have found highly attractive, but I have never really knew who they were. I have had idea what they might be like and I have more felt "love" towards that idea of the girl rather than the person itself. I suppouse that feeling is very similiar to love and perhaps it is love, but only on lower level. However I still rather call this phenomenon a crush rather than love. Crushes are something you can have without making an effort, but love is something that builds over time when you can take both good and the bad from the person.

money

The Strenberg's theory of love seems rather accurate atleast in my mind. I view things rather similiary atleast.

jjam said:

Huh? What do you mean by that?

I wouldn't say I believe in love at first sight....

But every now and then I see a girl that just rocks my world, maybe not the hottest or the sexiest thing out there... but there is just something about them that grabs you, that moves you. Then I employ the 3 second rule... I give myself 3 seconds to make a move to start talking to them or I consider it a situation lost. Unfortunately in my town there is about a 99.7% chance they are married.

Latest posts

Back