Love: Does it exist?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses. And I should have been more specific about the love I meant. Yes I was referring to the more romantic side of love, rather than the love you feel for you family, pet, or hobby. That cliche of romance between a man and woman (woman and woman or man and man if you prefer) that happens when you find the person that connects to your soul and....ugh I watch too many movies.Need to focus more on shows with blood, gore and mindless action rather than these things. :/

Mentality said:
That cliche of romance between a man and woman (woman and woman or man and man if you prefer) that happens when you find the person that connects to your soul and....ugh I watch too many movies.Need to focus more on shows with blood, gore and mindless action rather than these things. :/

Yeah I actually agree that the film industry sugar coat it like they do with most stories, but the basic concept is there. Not everyone experiences it the same, nor at the same time. But I think it will happen, no matter what level you're on.

The true issue is not IF Love exists but how important it really is in the long run of our lives. Imagine being in and out of love multiple times. The process of meeting someone new, the ups and downs and eventual separation become mechanical after a while. People are creatures of habit and after the initial honeymoon period of relationships, dust settles into the routines of 2 individuals. The monotonous nature of that, done over and over, is more of a strike against the finite concept of 'love' more than anything else. Like a sun burning at its absolutely brightest, it cannot be sustained. Perhaps this is because nothing can be sustained. I think its vital for people to accept this possibility.

Dr. Life said:
The true issue is not IF Love exists but how important it really is in the long run of our lives. Imagine being in and out of love multiple times. The process of meeting someone new, the ups and downs and eventual separation become mechanical after a while. People are creatures of habit and after the initial honeymoon period of relationships, dust settles into the routines of 2 individuals. The monotonous nature of that, done over and over, is more of a strike against the finite concept of 'love' more than anything else. Like a sun burning at its absolutely brightest, it cannot be sustained. Perhaps this is because nothing can be sustained. I think its vital for people to accept this possibility.

This guy knows what he's talking about. He's got a PhD and everything. :p

I agree btw. The concept of Love as it is portrayed in our culture is too simplistic and unsustainable. Passion and compatibility is necessary to some degree, but more important in the long run is choosing to be together and a commitment to support one another. This balance is hard to find and can be difficult to maintain... hence breakups and divorces. It doesn't help that we're constantly told that being single is some sign of personal failure. Ughhh

I hate the idea that quickly "falling" for someone is anything other than lust or infatuation. There's no way you can love someone you've just met or have known for a short time.

Dr. Life said:

You’re confusing love with partnership and personal connection.

Locke said:
Love exists. Its not all that easy to describe though. You'll know it when you find it.

Yeah.. I think so, this. You'll know it in your gut, not so much the heart. I always trust the gut feeling.

Okiedokes said:
Of course. It is something you have to work at as love is not just a feeling, but it's more of an action.

This is also very interesting and which I find is true.. it's not just a feeling that you can rely on to be around.. but to make it work.. you gotta act on it, show it.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
duff said:
I don't know the difference between 'love' and a 'crush'

Love is just a crush, but when the feelings are returned.

I very much disagree with this. Love is something longer lasting, and feels different. A crush is just a strong feeling for someone that lasts about 1-3 months. Love reaches the soul, a crush only reaches the heart.

duff said:

I think a crush is love with blinders on - when you only see the good things about the person. When you see all the flaws in a person and still feel that way, that's love.

theraab said:
duff said:

I think a crush is love with blinders on - when you only see the good things about the person. When you see all the flaws in a person and still feel that way, that's love.

Yeah, I think this is about true.

theraab said:

What about "love at first sight"? Some people claim this to be true. Can it be, then? I wonder.

Love at first sight doesn't exist.

I do believe that lust at first sight does exist. But not love. Love is something that is built on personality AND looks, not just looks.

I also agree that love at first sight doesn't exist. I'd call that infatuation.

Anyway, I think romantic love truly exists. It may not have happened to the OP, but I'm sure you've loved your family and friends. I think you've also seen people in love. There are so many types of love, even unrequited love.

I'm 43 and I've never really felt that way about someone. When I was 17 I thought I did. I had a crush on a girl and really kind of fell for her but she didn't feel that way about me. I've never really felt that way again. Not quite that same kind of intensity. I think after that I became much more careful and even guarded. To this day I have never really met a woman(or at least not many)that I figured were worth pursuing. Those I did never worked out. That's the way it goes. The one thing I have learned is that there are no guarantees when it comes to love. It's a choice. It's also a partnership based on mutual agreement. But there are no guarantees you'll ever meet someone who feels the same way about you as you do them. You could conceivably go your entire life without meeting someone. You are much more likely to meet that someone if you have a positive attitude, like who you are and pursue it.

I've felt nothing but pain every time I get a crush, because she never feels the same way about me.

It's gotten to be a joke, that the bigger a crush I have, the more repulsed she is by me.

Latest posts

Back