Mania?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsgirl

Reaction score
I know there are some people here who by their own admission suffer from depression of varying degrees. I too think that at times I suffer from depression, I accept it and don't worry much about it, tend to go with the flow really, if I'm up I'm up and if I'm down I'm down.
Lately I have found that I'm having spells of being almost manic, usually short lived, 2 to 3 days. I don't dislike it, just find it a bit weird. I rush around, talk a lot and my mind races thinking what can I do next. Usually manage to achieve in 2 days what would normaly take a month.Lol.
Just interested if this happens to anyone else. I've never spoken about it with anyone.

Do you think the mania is a coping mechanism you've developed to distract yourself from the depression? I always try to stay very busy when I'm feeling down, and I too find I am very productive, but I don't think I become manic. What kind of things do you achieve?
I'm pleased for you that you can accept it when you're feeling down though, I really struggle sometimes!

Also, I changed my avatar ;)

My moods are all over the place, and symptoms spring up without warning. I just deal though. Sometimes its hell. Sometimes I can handle it. Sometimes I can't and I wait for it to pass.

For me it's not up and down, it's like being pulled all directions while being spun in a vortex. Or something like that. If it's really effecting your life, seek help. If not, go on with things and deal the best way you know how.

But just keep in mind, often times as the cycles go on they worsen. Which i've seen happen but sometimes things get better for a period without any reason either. Which is where i'm at now.

Thanks for your replies, don't think it's a coping mechanism but then again don't really know.
What do I achieve? Loads and loadsof cleaning, moving furniture around like a mad woman. I feel physically and mentally stronger, almost euphoric. I also get very tired but can't sleep as my brain won't switch off.
Did have a look on the net and bipolar seems to fit but can live with it if it doesn't get worse.

Spuzzwink....appreciate the avatar;)

i think it DOES sound like bipolar disorder. does it bother you any? the manic episodes?

I was on Zoloft for a while, ending about a year ago. If the dose got too high, I got so manic that I could barely rest. Yeah, the spells of energy felt good for a while but there would be a crash where I just got exhausted.

SophiaGrace said:
i think it DOES sound like bipolar disorder. does it bother you any? the manic episodes?

At first I quite enjoyed the buzz of it but last time it was so intense and affected my concentration. Have a lot of responsibilities at work so need to keep a level head. That bit worries me slightly.
When it goes I am very tired.

Latest posts

Back