Maybe those people aren't asses/jerks/evil. They just don't like you. Accept that.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luna

The Thread Subject isn't addressed to anyone in particular here - but rather, a statement that I've come to believe that applies to how others have acted towards me up to this point.

You see, I have had one encounter after another with one bad apple and then some.
This isn't a case of where I am attracted to people who treat me poorly - while I may not necessarily "fight back" - I at least will run away when I feel that I am being harmed.

With my attempts to build upon my self-esteem, confidence and friendships - I can say that I have met a diverse group of people in the past few years. Majority - if not all - of the encounters have gone poorly with the other party either being not interested in me, not reciprocating/ putting effort towards the friendship; ulterior motives/ mistreating me and lying to me in attempt to use me for my body.

Do I wish to be friends with these people?
No. I do not want to be friends with people who have disrespected me and are not genuine.

These people - what do I think of them?
Until today...I used to think that these people were rotten to the core and horrible human beings.

However...I am starting to think differently.
It isn't that they are horrible through and through...it's just...me that they do not like and I have to accept that.

1st scenario:
The one that affected me the most was a young man that was introduced to me through a family friend. This fellow came from a conservative, art-loving, respectful, "farmer" family. He was my age - a "nerdish", shy, self-proclaimed lonely, virgin who had several scholarships and dreams of becoming a writer. He was highly spoken of by everyone I know and described as "polite" "gentle" "sweet". As described by his friends, he has a heart of gold and is gentle to animals, volunteers and helps others etc.
Imagine my shock when I finally put it together...that all he viewed me for was as a tool to lose his virginity and a body to practice ******* so he could finally pursue the woman he was interested in. "What a horrible person!" I thought...but it wasn't that he was a horrible person and treated everyone else as such.
When I found out he poured over 8 hours in drawing this woman's portrait in charcoal...and stumbled over his beautifully-written poetry for her - it crushed me and broke my heart.
The fact that he did put so much effort and time into a pure act of kindness towards another person made me realize he wasn't bad through and through.
"How could he be so good to her and yet...be so bad to me?"
This honestly broke my brain - I expected it from others - but not him. Not a gentle, kind soul like him.
The fact is, he just didn't like me.
He had many friends...I saw pictures of him with a diverse group of young women and men - all races, all shapes and all sizes.
He didn't want a relationship with me; he didn't want a friendship with me; he didn't even want an acquaintance with me.
He just didn't like me.

2nd scenario, part I:
I joined my current job 2 years ago the same time as another co-worker. While we share some similar personality traits; shy, quiet, "minds-own-business" etc - there is a difference in how the co-workers and other people have reacted to the two of us when we are together.
Even as new employees...people approached her and wanted to go to know her.
I was very positive at that time - I was proactive and approached everyone instead. I felt good.
I was friendly, funny and my Team Leader even remarked on my Performance Review that I was such a joy to be around because I'm such a happy person.
However, when it became apparent that my co-workers only wanted to know me on a superficial level...it was very disheartening. I have no issue with not forming a deeper relationship with my co-workers as I like to keep my personal and professional life separate - but seeing how open and interested others were in my co-worker; as opposed to me - even though we're similar in several ways and started at the same time...made me wake up to the fact that no one truly liked me. My co-worker even remarked to me...that she doesn't even need to make friends or worry about losing any.
People just like her and they just come to her.

2nd scenario, part II:
When two new girls around my age joined the office - I spent quite a bit of time teaching them the procedures and showing them around at my Team Leader's request.
(The staff at my office are mostly 40-something, and the co-worker I pointed out and these two new girls are around my age, 20-something.)
I thought that with friendly conversation and the time that they were spending with me...that they were comfortable with me. However, when the other co-worker, I, and them were together - they talked of having a group lunch. As I was there - I thought that I was included.
They were nice about it and indirectly told me that it was just the three of them.
You can call them rude, inconsiderate...whatever you like, but the bottom-line is that they treated me as such because they just didn't like me.

3rd scenario:
This scenario happened many years ago...a family outing with family friends for the New Year. There were other girls my age and my family member commented to me after the outing was over...that she was shocked. She said that I was pretty, friendly and funny...that I acted perfectly normal, and yet - she could see and feel that the other girls did not like me. They rolled their eyes at me and well; they just didn't like me. She finally witnessed what I had been complaining for so long. She admitted to having believed that I caused others to not like me by acting piss-poor...but this was an example of it not being as such.
You might consider her well thoughts of me to be biased because she is family - but this isn't the first time and I've had this commented to me by non-family members as well.

(This is long...I know...)
I feel that I've made progress in realizing that just because someone has treated me bad - does not make them a bad person through and through.
This realization has helped me let go some of my hatred.
I can't hate everyone that has been bad to me or dislikes me...it would be so many people that I would have to hate!
I don't want to have this negative energy in me towards people in general.
I may dislike people's actions, but to hate is exhausting, consuming and miserable.
To hate someone for not liking me is so emotionally draining over something so trivial.
I only hope that as I strive for improvement and meet new people that I draw out the good and not the bad.
Even if I do draw out the bad; I hope that I will have the patience and understanding to simply forgive and move forward.
I can't hate anymore.
I've reached my limit.
I think I just broke myself.

disliking some one you dont know for no reason makes you a bit of an ass :p
nothing you can do about not being interested in someone though i think.
but im sure there are people that like you.

purpously using someone is a rotten thing to do, if that makes you a bad person i dont know.
maybe he just made a stupid and selfish mistake.
or maybe he really is an ass pretending to be a wonderfull person to get what he wants.

im sorry this happend to you, hating him for using you seems perfectly valid.
but at some point you just have to let go, not worth the time and effort you put into it.
not saying you have to forgive him, i think he has to eurn your forgiveniss, he could at least appologise.
if thats to much trubble for him he is not worth thinking about.

there are nice people out there.
but to hate everyone that isnt is indeed verry exhausting and consuming.
as for the ones that have no interest in you, thats more their problem than yours.
focus more on the good things youll have more positive energy and people will see you differently, may even want to be around you a little more.
sounds really corny i know.
but if your hating on people on the inside all day it shows ;)
and people will act accordingly.
thats not ment for the people using you or treating you badly part.
thats just people doing bad things.
if that makes them a bad person i dont know.
people do stupid things.

Disliking someone doesn't give you the right to harm them.

It's very mysterious that so many people treat you so poorly.

paulo said:

Not really. You don't have to know someone to dislike them. And someone doesn't have to know you in order to dislike you. It doesn't make anyone an ass or mean or rude. There's nearly 7 billion people on this earth. It's not humanly possible for everyone to like each other.

VanillaCreme said:
paulo said:

Not really. You don't have to know someone to dislike them. And someone doesn't have to know you in order to dislike you. It doesn't make anyone an ass or mean or rude. There's nearly 7 billion people on this earth. It's not humanly possible for everyone to like each other.

im not saying you have to like everyone.
or that your an ass if you dont like someone.

but seeing someone for the first time and for no reason you diside you dont like them...well.
i cant say thats a nice thing to do.

Luna said:
1st scenario:
The one that affected me the most was a young man that was introduced to me through a family friend. This fellow came from a conservative, art-loving, respectful, "farmer" family. He was my age - a "nerdish", shy, self-proclaimed lonely, virgin who had several scholarships and dreams of becoming a writer. He was highly spoken of by everyone I know and described as "polite" "gentle" "sweet". As described by his friends, he has a heart of gold and is gentle to animals, volunteers and helps others etc.
Imagine my shock when I finally put it together...that all he viewed me for was as a tool to lose his virginity and a body to practice ******* so he could finally pursue the woman he was interested in. "What a horrible person!" I thought...but it wasn't that he was a horrible person and treated everyone else as such.
When I found out he poured over 8 hours in drawing this woman's portrait in charcoal...and stumbled over his beautifully-written poetry for her - it crushed me and broke my heart.
The fact that he did put so much effort and time into a pure act of kindness towards another person made me realize he wasn't bad through and through.
"How could he be so good to her and yet...be so bad to me?"
This honestly broke my brain - I expected it from others - but not him. Not a gentle, kind soul like him.
The fact is, he just didn't like me.
He had many friends...I saw pictures of him with a diverse group of young women and men - all races, all shapes and all sizes.
He didn't want a relationship with me; he didn't want a friendship with me; he didn't even want an acquaintance with me.
He just didn't like me.

I sometimes think you try too hard to be positive about everything that has happened to you by justifying everyone's actions and then using your own jugdements of the situation to turn it into a positive thing which is not a bad thing but becareful because I think you're losing your values as a person when you overdo it.

For example, this young man you described here, well to me, he still sounds like an ******* to me. Why? Just because he isn't interested in you romantically doesn't mean he should use you for your body and to 'practice' on you what he would on the next girl that he really likes. You are a smart girl. Just because someone isn't interested in you or see you as girlfriend material doesn't give them the right to use you or to treat you poorly. Imagine if everyone went around doing that, we'd all be on this forum depressed and lonely and used. If I were you, I'd have tell him off. If he can do that to you, don't be too sure he is going to be nice to the next girl.

And what he did, with the portrait and poem and all that is NOT a big deal. So he is willing to do whatever he wants to get into the pants of the girl he likes or loves. Ted Bundy did that too. Even if its not just sex, so he loves this girl. Big deal. Don't get sucked into all of this. I know a LOT of guys who would do ALL sorts of sacrificial things for the so called 'girl of their dreams.' It's not impressive. Anyone can do all that crap. But a guy who doesn't uses people, who isn't shallow, and sees a girl for who she is and not her appearance is really a gem to me. I don't care if a guy jumps the bridge for a girl. That's common. Have high standards for guys you'd give your heart to. He's got to be awesome, with great great values, and an amazing heart, not like this jerk that you're talking about. You shouldn't even feel sorry about it. Just thank god that he is miles away from you.

I really do relate to you though. I once fell for this guy who is into volunteery work, has amazing mannerisms, everyone just loves him. He loves to hug his friends, family, older people, just a great great guy. But when I tried to get to know him, (I took his email down) and wrote a simple email to him, he ignored it and went out with my good friend instead who is skinnier and more pretty than me. Sigh. It hurts. But just because he is such an amazing guy, and he didn't choose me, I don't really care much for him. I mean, so what? He still goes for looks. Everyone can say its a preference, bla bla bla..but sure...yeah..sure.

Hitler loved dogs and had some excellent points. This does not make him less evil.

On the other hand, hating people takes a lot of energy and thought. If it serves you in no useful end, that's wasted energy.

Strange. o.o

Well, if someone doesn't like you, dump 'em and go onto the next person. (Hello)

paulo said:
VanillaCreme said:
paulo said:

im not saying you have to like everyone.
or that your an ass if you dont like someone.

but seeing someone for the first time and for no reason you diside you dont like them...well.
i cant say thats a nice thing to do.

It might not be nice. But it's not mean either. People can make their own decision. Just because they don't have a reason doesn't mean it's bad or mean.

Pheenix said:
It's very mysterious that so many people treat you so poorly.

When I read this line...I interpreted it as that what has happened to me was abnormal and self-inflicted. This message likely is not your intention; but it made me feel maybe it is implied that there is some fog and smoke on some of the facts that I've shared.
I do not believe these events to be mysterious at all. The fact is people treat others they like differently than others that they do not like on varying extremes. I'm not saying that it is "right" for anyone to mistreat another - but it happens. I have a family member who has had a few similar situations - where she joined a group of people and there was the person (a stranger) who was rude and badmouthed her for no reason. On the same note - she has also had people approach her and tell her that they liked her from when they first set eyes on her and wanted to be her friend.
I feel as if it's like falling in love...it's similar in the way that even though the two of you might be good on paper, smart, funny, beautiful - it does not mean that the other party want you or you will want them. There is no formula. Some people are not going to like you no matter what.

Beans/ IgnoredOne - I don't really know how to respond. The people I noted have not committed crimes or anything of extreme evil. I'm really confused about why things have gone the way that they have gone for me. Of course, I try to move forward...I'm always working on improvement.
I have to try to be positive because I've had a lot of negative encounters with people. For me to view the people part of my negative encounters as "******** and jerks"...it would be terribly sad because I've had a significant amount of bad occurrences as opposed to good with people. It would be almost everyone that I've gotten to know past the stranger stage...how disheartening it is to view a large amount of people in such a way.

Paulo/Sophia - I'm trying to move forward. I don't surround myself with people who do not like me.

Nilla - I feel the same on some points...it's just how things are.

I don't think there's any reason to be confused about it, Luna. It's just the way things go. It's like being confused as to why water is wet. Some things just are. Personally, I have no reason to dislike anyone until they give me a reason. However, I have no reason to like everyone I happen to know.

Personally I dislike people who use others. I believe using people is wrong but I think luna is on the right track not hating people. Waste of energy. There're too many nut jobs in this world to bother with assigning emotional reactions to them. Just keep away from them and throw holy water on them as you flee. :D

When I said it was mysterious, I meant it was mysterious, nothing more, nothing less.
I have never run into that many nutjobs myself. But I don't know if you iniate contact with a much higher amount of strangers or something.

Pheenix said:
When I said it was mysterious, I meant it was mysterious, nothing more, nothing less.
I have never run into that many nutjobs myself. But I don't know if you iniate contact with a much higher amount of strangers or something.

Maybe you just can't recognize all the crazies. :p

Not everyone might agree with me on this but its my own personal views, Luna, I honestly dont know why people wouldnt like you, you seem really cool and you say in all those scenarios that you talk normally to all these people and for some reason they just dont like you. First, thats not something you should be too accepting of, dont let it get to you, but I have to bring up two points here

1. Someone who would not like someone for no reason is really not a good person, if I can compare it to something, its like walking into a bookstore and saying you dont like a book before you even read it.

2. If someone actually gets to know you, and still doesnt like you, thats their problem. If you like yourself, and someone doesnt like you, you wouldnt really want to be friends with them anyway.

Well the guy in scenario 1 still sounds like an *******. I'll call him that for you - he's an *******. And a jerk. Probably still is. Did he like you? Meh - who cares? Who would want that to like you? You can't please everyone all the time and there's no way everyone you meet, nice or evil, is going to like you. You should read your post again in like a year or two and you will probably have a different perspective on things. The older you get, the less you'll care what people think about you. I'm even keeled most of the time but will slyly rock the boat every once in awhile just to get a rise out of people, especially those who I don't really care what they think of me.

Fvantom said:
1. Someone who would not like someone for no reason is really not a good person, if I can compare it to something, its like walking into a bookstore and saying you dont like a book before you even read it.

2. If someone actually gets to know you, and still doesnt like you, thats their problem. If you like yourself, and someone doesnt like you, you wouldnt really want to be friends with them anyway.

That does not mean they're a bad person. It's their right and their decision to not like something. They don't have to try it out or get to know it. Your second point actually has some sense though. If they don't like someone, whether they know them or not, it's their problem. But it doesn't mean they're some horrible, evil, vicious person. It's not that big of a deal.

It may not make them a BAD person, but I cant honestly call someone a good person if they dont like someone without at least getting to know them a little, theres plenty of people I think that I wont like, but I always give them a chance, sometimes I end up liking them, sometimes I dont but at least I got to know them first.

Fvantom said:
It may not make them a BAD person, but I cant honestly call someone a good person if they dont like someone without at least getting to know them a little, theres plenty of people I think that I wont like, but I always give them a chance, sometimes I end up liking them, sometimes I dont but at least I got to know them first.

Perhaps some of us if we have daughters, we don't mind guys using their bodies just to test them out.

VanillaCreme said:
Fvantom said:

That does not mean they're a bad person. It's their right and their decision to not like something. They don't have to try it out or get to know it. Your second point actually has some sense though. If they don't like someone, whether they know them or not, it's their problem. But it doesn't mean they're some horrible, evil, vicious person. It's not that big of a deal.

how do you know you dont like a book you know nothing about.
unless you dont like books.
how do you know you dont like someone you dont know unless you dont like people you dont know.

not to big a deal but it says something about a person and their attitude.

Latest posts

Back