Misadventures with narcissist parents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

February203

"Be tolerant of others and strict with yourself."
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd share an interesting memory of my childhood.

My mother had a friend with an autistic son. This friend was receiving benefits from the government. This inspired my mother to do the same thing. My mother had coached me to act autistic. She basically told me to just ignore everyone when they talked to me and not to say anything if they asked me questions.

They evaluated me and came to the conclusion that I had A.D.D. (attention deficit disorder). My mother went as far as to put me on a small school bus and place me in special education with the mentally handicapped students. Things only escalated, and I was eventually put on medication, side effects made me feel terrible. I eventually rebelled in middle school and refused to take it.

Then I was forced to get a psychiatric evaluation. The doctor realized that there was nothing wrong with me, and I got to go home.
They're is a second half to this saga. Maybe I'll talk about it some other time.

Evaluations of certain conditions were so poorly done in the past.
Honestly, I think it depends on the doctor. Even today that happens. I swear anyone can get diagnosed with ADD or ADHD in America.
Autism is harder. There are some doctors who think it's over diagnosed and unless it's severe, they won't give that diagnosis. Some doctors misdiagnose autism or diagnose something else when it is autism. There are too many things that mimic autism...or rather I should say there are too many things that go along with autism.

I figured I'd share an interesting memory of my childhood.

My mother had a friend with an autistic son. This friend was receiving benefits from the government. This inspired my mother to do the same thing. My mother had coached me to act autistic. She basically told me to just ignore everyone when they talked to me and not to say anything if they asked me questions.

They evaluated me and came to the conclusion that I had A.D.D. (attention deficit disorder). My mother went as far as to put me on a small school bus and place me in special education with the mentally handicapped students. Things only escalated, and I was eventually put on medication, side effects made me feel terrible. I eventually rebelled in middle school and refused to take it.

Then I was forced to get a psychiatric evaluation. The doctor realized that there was nothing wrong with me, and I got to go home.
They're is a second half to this saga. Maybe I'll talk about it some other time.
She never would have gotten SSDI. The SSA is extremely thorough. You have to jump through so many hoops (and denials) before you have a chance to get it. They have a team of doctors that pick all your medical and school records apart.

Latest posts

Back