Most annoying phrase?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkwall

Reaction score
It occurred to me today that people say a lot of stupid things - this may be no news to you - but stupid things that they didn't even come up with. They happily trot out these platitudes when asked even the most simple question: these phrases do the thinking for them, so they don't have to.

A lot of slang annoys the hell out of me, like 'cool beans'. But what really pisses me off is the way people try to win arguments using stupid and nonsensical phrases.

One of them is, 'well, that's your opinion'. This is the equivalent of saying 'you are speaking words': I know it's my opinion, idiot, because if it was yours I wouldn't be saying it. In fact, I'd be being very quiet, right about now.

Another is, 'let's agree to disagree'. Essentially one for the conflict-avoiders, like the above, but often wheeled out early in a discussion when the speaker has little idea how to continue. If I wanted to agree to disagree, why would I be arguing with you in the first place? How about I continue to disagree until we agree, which is the general object of debates?

My favourite one is, 'well, that's the exception that proves the rule'. This one has absolutely no basis in logic whatsoever. Exceptions can't PROVE the rule, a weight of evidence does. So, by their logic, there can be no possible contradictions to any firmly-held position.

Lawyer: So you argue that you are a good man and model citizen, despite having brutally murdered your brother-in-law?
Defendant: Well, that's the exception that proves the rule.
Lawyer: You know, you're right, I don't think we have a case here. The prosecution retires.

What is the most annoying phrase that you have encountered?

I dunno....let see where this thread will lead to. I'll leave it open.lol

"cool beans".....lmao
Maybe it has something with Mr Beans...hehehehe. Havn't you heard of Mr beans ?

or beans give people gas....Gas in your brain = brain farts= air head= stupid= retard= idiot ! lmao
That's basic logic 101....man.

Oh crap....i might be accused of being "Caption Obviouse" as in a CO= Chief Officer.....lmao

Or jumping beans.....lmoa
i guess it sort of like ...saying someone is going off the walls = unstable.lmao

I have a new one i made just to annoy the honeysuckle out of annoying people. :p
"Emo baby"

What do you mean... Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one ? Where the hell have you been ?
How essential do you want your brain farts to be ? As if your honeysuckle smells better than everyone else:p
That's an old one though, it gose like this...."You think your honeysuckle don't stink or what ?"

agreeing to disagree is just a nice way to defuse an argument.

Maybe this one will annoy the hell out of you too....
"Would you rather be right or chose peace ?"

"agreeing to disagree is just a nice way to defuse an argument."

I know that, but why not say "fresia it, I just disagree"? It still doesn't really make sense, and the people who use it are too unimaginative/cowardly to get out of a debate without resorting to cliches.

The opinion thing is just a stupid thing to point out. Actually, it's your opinion that what I'm saying is my opinion, and if we go down that road, where do we end up?

If we go down that road, we shall learn how to live in peace, love one another and
repect one another.

It will smash the hell out of both of our big ass EGO.

well..."fresia it" is actully the short form sernity prayer.
It gets you to the same place. In the heat of a battle the first thought that
comes to my mind is not to pray....lmao

"fresia it"..however will works it's way into my brain faster. :p

Appropriately applied in this manner....
"fresia it...nevermind...you're just too **** smart for my ass, Mr. cool bean "...:p

Heck i am still back on "cool beans".

What the heck does it mean?

6jfvgw.jpg

"To tell the truth ... "

What, you usually lie your ass off but are making an exception this time?

I am just writing/calling to tell you...

I didn't realise the person concerned had written to/phoned me. Imagine my surprise when their first words informed me of this fact. :p

darkwall said:
... 'well, that's your opinion'...

Mainly i just find that one annoying when it is a difference over what the facts are and an opinion doesn't enter into it.

Some things are just right or wrong facts and opinions don't amount to a hill of cool beans.

Minus said:
Some things are just right or wrong facts and opinions don't amount to a hill of cool beans.

Sorry, that didn't make any sense, i just wanted to say "cool beans".

How are you today? Nobody gives a honeysuckle how you are!:(

Or,

Oh crap! it's the cops.
I hate that one. Then you have to run and I don't like to run.:p

un-american

I hate that term, and it sounds a little bit arrogant to me, as though people who aren't American will do all sorts of evil, terrible things. I also hate how the bad guys in American movies are usually foreigners.

Caesium said:
un-american

I hate that term, and it sounds a little bit arrogant to me, as though people who aren't American will do all sorts of evil, terrible things. I also hate how the bad guys in American movies are usually foreigners.

It seems that it frequently comes up in a political context and has no real meaning other then to imply that there is something wrong with the other guy.

Aside from that i imagine it is your typical cultural ethnocentrism which is not unique to that country, if maybe a bit more arrogant.

Latest posts

Back