Music You Like

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borodin

Reaction score
What sort of music do you like?

Music Is very, very important to me, but I always encounter some difficulty in answering this very question. I'll respond to my own question in a later response once I find myself with sufficient time.

I have fairly broad musical tastes - from classical to heavy metal. Always willing to try new stuff, time etc permitting.

Does that answer your question?

Not really, no. What sort of heavy metal do you like? Metallica? Iron Maiden?

And the word "classical" encompasses a good 400-something years of music! That's quite a broad statement on its own. Could you name some composers?

And while you named what you assumed are polar opposites, what are the things in between? Jazz? Alternative rock? Salsa?

I like a lot of experimental music, from the well known artists like Brian Eno and John Cage, to the lesser known guys like The Raytownian(s) and Cementimental. I'll listen to almost anything, apart from generic pop rubbish and try-hard pseudo "Punk". I love old school hip hop and a few newer artists, like Sole, Busdriver, etc. Favourite band in the whole world, though, is Pixies.

Borodin said:
Not really, no. What sort of heavy metal do you like? Metallica? Iron Maiden?

Yes to both.

Borodin said:
And the word "classical" encompasses a good 400-something years of music! That's quite a broad statement on its own. Could you name some composers?

Yes. Yes I can. *waits* Oh you mean you want me to, ok....

Bach, Beethovan, Mozart, Pachebel, Saint-Saens, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi, Wagner. I like opera - Pucci and Verdi spring to mind although I also like Mozart's Magic Flute despite it being overwhelmingly cheerful.

Borodin said:
And while you named what you assumed are polar opposites, what are the things in between? Jazz? Alternative rock? Salsa?

Not so much Jazz, no salsa unless you count the stuff on the 'Now Music' cds.

*looks at music list on pc*

I've got things like Abba, Bach, Barron Knights, Catatonia, Depeche Mode, Dido, Eminem, Enya, Evanescence, Flanders and Swann, Garbage, Glenn Miller, Hurts, Iron Maiden, Jean Michel Jarre, Kate Bush, Lilly Allen, Metallica, Monty Python, Noel Coward, Paganini, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rogers and Hammerstein, Rush, Shania Twain, The Rasmus, Tchaikovsky, Ultravox, Verdi, Wager...huh, nothing for X,Y and Z....*makes mental note to find something somewhere...*

There, does that answer it? Where's your list btw??

[Shocked].

You don't like jazz?!?!?

[video=youtube]

I wish I was Marsalis.

It's not that I don't like Jazz - it's just that I don't like it as much as other stuff. I'm ok with it - some more than others. There's very little music I wouldn't listen to at least once.

Depends on the mood. If you ask me now, being tired from a delayed flight, I'd say relaxing songs like...... this one :)
[video=youtube]

I like all kinds of music. In most cases I prefer individual songs to artists, but I love Britney Spears in so many ways, possibly as she has experienced some (not all) things not too dis-similar to me, although as we are talking musically, I love her for that in this instance. It's sad to see her heart is no longer in the performing, but it's to be expected with her medication and mental difficulties. I love the fight in the woman.

My favourite band ever is Def Leppard and other artists/groups that i've liked more than 4 or 5 songs of include Pulp, Blur, Cascada, Linkin Park, Celine Dion, Shakira, LeAnn Rimes.

Classical and Operatic pieces can be okay, with Nessun Dorma the big standout, as long as it is sung by Pavarotti.

Like I say, most artists don't do it for me apart from the odd song here and there. If we're talking current music, only 2 or 3 current songs I like and the rest I find boring or too 'simple'.

I'd even go as far to say as i'm bordering on hating music, maybe because I listen to it 15 hours a **** day!

So basically soft rock, pop, dance, easy listening........each song I rate individually and wouldn't close the door on most artists, although a few are unlikely to ever bother my ears willingly.

Just a few examples of who I like from some genres.

Indie/Indie Rock
-------------------
Interpol (Obviously) :D
Editors
Two Door Cinema Club
Joy Division
Cold War Kids
Arcade Fire

Metal
------
Linkin Park
Metallica
Slayer
Slipknot
Disturbed
Pantera
Korn
Rammstein

Rap
-----
Eminem
50 Cent
Tupac

Others
-------
The Cure
Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix

Borodin said:
Only about 100 years, actually, from the mid 18th century to early 19th century. There are different eras of music: Gregorian, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and finally Modern (everything after the Romantic period. Some people divide it into modern and contemporary, contemporary being the last 20 years or so of music).

Personally, I like bits of music from every era, though I listen mostly to music made in the modern era. (yes, there was music before Gregorian. It simply isn't studied much, because there isn't much to study it by)

Going off of the genres listed in wikipedia: acoustic music, Americana, big band/swing, bluegrass, contemporary, country, Christian, celtic folk, classic rock, easy listening, film scores (usually the grand sort you might find on LotR or something of the sort), folk/folk pop/folk rock, funk, gospel music, jazz, neoclassical, orchestra, punk, reggae, soft rock, southern gospel...

There is a hecka lot of genres on that wiki page. I didn't even know what most of them were lol. Based on the list I provided, I listen to some more than others. But that's just a general glance of the sort of music I have listened to and enjoyed.

Hi! : )

Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Metallica, Def Leppard, Coldplay, Muse, and System of a Down are among my favorites.

I also like listening to musical scores from film and some games.

I wanna say I like all kinds of music, but I don't think that's exactly true. I'm open minded and have enjoyed music of many genres. I can be all over the place. But what I've found myself leaning towards most for about the last decade of my life is Electronica/Trance/Techno/Chill/D&B/Trip Hop stuff.

In the last week, I've been craving a Romance playlist. Right now, I have two songs that I mean to add to the list - Tamia's "You Put A Move" and Al Jarreau's "One Way". I want a really good list for slow dancing and love making around lit candles because, you know, maybe I'll get inspired to actually go out and approach someone who could potentially participate in such activities with me. :|
Any suggestions? I'll youtube it and if I'm really feeling it, I'll buy!

Nine Inch nails, A Perfect Circle, Muse, Within Temptation, Tool, Depeche Mode, Smashing Pumpkins and Pendulum, just to name a few. I guess I'm alright with most music that has actually got something to say rather than mainstream trash bombarding the radio these days.

jjam said:
In the last week, I've been craving a Romance playlist. Right now, I have two songs that I mean to add to the list - Tamia's "You Put A Move" and Al Jarreau's "One Way". I want a really good list for slow dancing and love making around lit candles because, you know, maybe I'll get inspired to actually go out and approach someone who could potentially participate in such activities with me. :|
Any suggestions? I'll youtube it and if I'm really feeling it, I'll buy!

Joni Mitchell has some wonderful love songs. I have a slight infatuation with her and her music.

[video=youtube]

http://www.last.fm/user/IndustrialHz

my last.fm account has been the handiest thing for when people ask me this question nowadays

my tastes are dominated by first wave industrial and post-punk. however, just about every form of music has it's appeal for me

I guess im mainly into TechDeth type of metal. But im also into free-form jazz and a bit of neo-classical.

just got a new cd from a music buddy "Animals as Leaders" **** awesome.
kinda like a jazzy meshuggah, im good for a few weeks :p

[video=youtube]

Latest posts

Back