My Cat Is Dying.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knight

Reaction score
Well I have a big tabby cat, and we got him as a stray so we don't know how old he is, we're guessing he's 15 years old, we got him 6 years ago. Well the past few months, he's been losing his fur color, having bad diahrea and just yesterday half of his face was swollen and today it's blood. He's having trouble breathing and he keeps getting worst everyday. What should I do? I think we should take him to the vet, but my parent's don't have much money or time right now, I'd pay for it, but I'd need to get there. My mom won't take him to the vet, I think we should put him to sleep. I can't stand seeing him suffer like this.

Ok, you need to take the cat to see a vet - they can make a diagnosis. It could be *anything* and only a qualified veterinarian will be able to tell for sure what is wrong.

Leaving it untreated is just going to prolong the animals suffering, and may result in the cat dying needlessly.

I second Steel... Knight, you need to take that cat to the vet. Whether it's to get it checked out, or, if it's incurable, put to sleep, you need to do it quickly. At this point you have the capability to get it help, and if you choose not to, it makes you responsible. Get it to the VET.

Yes a Vet for a diagnosis.

Knight, if your parents refuse to take him to the vet when he clearly needs to at least be checked,
you can contact one of the animal rescue centres in Virginia and let them know.
Have a look at this list: http://muttcats.com/shelters/virginia.htm
They should, as far as I know, be able to either force your parents take him to the vet,
or they will take him to the vet for you. The best thing for your cat is to get the proper care he needs,
whether he stays with you or not. Please consider this.

I know you are not going to do anything about it Knight. Just leave it. You will let it die as it is. We were talking to you in chat and you said "okay guys I'm off to play video games". If you don't want people to give advice to you or you are just clearly going to ignore it then please don't ask. Your cat is lying around in pain and you are off to play video games. Great dude. Keep it up. Clear case of animal abuse.

:(
ya the vet would be the best idea

and i'm so sorry knight

i hope they mabye help him

*hugs*

Perhaps if you tell your mum it's ILLEGAL to refuse to take an ill animal to the vet she'll change her mind...
You can call the cops on her you know...
I ******* would if my parents behaved like a pair of heartless bitches..
And btw... I wouldn't fresia off to play video games while my cat is dying in front of me...
How exactly do you justify that? There's nothing you can do about it right now?
Believe me.. You CAN do something about it now... You can call up one of the rescue centres right this minute.
We're talking about an animal in pain here. You're 17. Take some responsibility!

Yeah but if I do then my parents and especially my brother will never forgive me.

I told my dad we should take him to the vet, but he said there's nothing they can do now but put him to sleep. I can't stand seeing him in pain, it makes me really really sad.

i had a stray cat growing up, too. actually it was my oldest sisters cat. anyway when the cat was old of course it got sick. i took her to the vet and she needed treatments every day. i gave her the treatments for a few months but then i was going to have to move. at the time i was living with my mom and my brother, and my other sister was in town. i was moving and if my cat didnt get the treatment she needed every day she would die a slow and painful death. i knew no one else would take care of her, even though they said they would. i made the decision. i didnt ask anyone. i took her to the vet and had her put to sleep before i moved. it was really, really hard to do but i still feel good about the decision. my mom was insulted that i went behind her back, she couldnt understand why id do such a thing. she lamented that she would take care of it. ya, right. i knew better. my brother was sad b/c he loved the cat but i also knew he didnt have the money to take care of her even though he wanted to. My interest was in doing the best thing for my cat- and i know i did. i took care of her until it was time for me to leave and i couldnt and then i put her down so she wouldnt suffer.

Knight...ring your local vet...and ask if they either provide transport for ppl who have none OR if they know of a free service in your area...this is quite common...

In the UK we have the PDSA (Peoples Dispensery for Sick Animals) they will treat (or 'put to sleep') sick animals for a very small donation...I believe there is something similar in the US too...

And Knight...trust me your parents will give you a VERY hard time over this I suspect...however they WILL get over it in time & so will you...because really it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks or says...what matters is the choices we make as individuals...because we have to live with ourselves afterwards...

Knight if you don't get this cat sorted out and you leave it suffer in pain, it'll weigh on your conscience for the rest of your life, i promise you it will. Yeah your parents and brother will be moody about it all, but they'll get over it. id rather that than a lifetime of guilt.

If the cat is in pain, that's sad. But what's the difference between going to put it to sleep and letting it die naturally? It's sad, but it's eventually going to die either way.

VanillaCreme said:
If the cat is in pain, that's sad. But what's the difference between going to put it to sleep and letting it die naturally? It's sad, but it's eventually going to die either way.

Putting it to sleep means to let it die peacefully with less pain and to let it die naturally means to make it suffer more and die suffering inch to inch. It's either the easy way or the painful way. That's the difference.

VanillaCreme said:

omg, i can't believe she just said this

stella said:
VanillaCreme said:

omg, i can't believe she just said this

omg, yes I did just say that.

I hate cats. I don't care for them. I'm just saying, no matter what he does, it will die anyway. Why not just go take it to be put down? It's a more humane way, I would think. Unless the family just wants their last moments with their cat.

Latest posts

Back